Creating an episodic game

jonathankj
Hello, im writing an episodic game where different approaches to different situations will have different consequences, but i want to make the game episodic so i dont have to write for 2 years before realising it. Is there a way where i can create episodes that will require playtrough of the previous episodes so that it can start from different story tree's?

I also want to remind that the game is currently only choice based so there is no inventory or stats menu.

XanMag
I just tried my first game book!!!

You will probably want to give the player a "password/code" at the end of the first episode. At the beginning of the second episode, simply ask for that code and move them to the appropriate page. The code I used is below.

<asl version="550">
<include ref="GamebookCore.aslx" />
<game name="GB 1 Test">
<gameid>1f18104a-7bce-4004-9e95-4cf99502721f</gameid>
<version>1.0</version>
<firstpublished>2015</firstpublished>
</game>
<object name="Almost Done">
<description>Blah blah blah, you're almost done. Choose something below...</description>
<options type="stringdictionary">
<item>
<key>Ending 1</key>
<value>Ending 1</value>
</item>
<item>
<key>Ending 2</key>
<value>Ending 2</value>
</item>
</options>
<object name="player">
<inherit name="defaultplayer" />
</object>
</object>
<object name="Ending 1">
<inherit name="script" />
<description>You receive the great ending!</description>
<script type="script"><![CDATA[
msg ("You receive the great ending!!<br/><br/>Your code for Episode 2 is: ABCDEFG")
]]></script>
</object>
<object name="Ending 2">
<description>You receive the shitty ending!</description>
msg ("You receive the shitty ending!<br/><br/>Your code for episode 2 is: TUVWXYZ")
]]></script>
</object>
<object name="NEW GAME">
msg ("What is your code from episode 1?")
GetInput() {
switch (result) {
case ("ABCDEFG") {
msg ("Thank you... the game begins!<br/>")
MovePlayer (Episode 2 Branch 1)
}
case ("TUVWXYZ") {
msg ("Thank you... the game begins!<br/>")
MovePlayer (Episode 2 Branch 2)
}
default {
msg ("You didn't finish episode one evidently!! Play it now to get a code for your CYOA branch.")
}
}
}
]]></script>
</object>
<object name="Episode 2 Branch 1">
<description><![CDATA[You are an enlightened and blessed creature. <br/><br/>You begin your adventure surrounded by beer kegs and beautiful, naked women... blah blah blah (branch 1)]]></description>
</object>
<object name="Episode 2 Branch 2">
<description><![CDATA[You must have really sucked eggs last game... <br/><br/>You begin your adventure in a giant pile of cow dung... blah blah blah (branch 2)]]></description>
</object>
<function name="code 1">
msg ("Your code for Episode 2: ABCDEFG")
</function>
</asl>

1. Put a password on the last page of episode 1.
2. At the start of game 2, add a script - 'print message' and ask something like "What is your password from episode 1?" If you've never added a script before, just change the 'page type' to script.
3. Add a script: Get input, then
4. Add a script: Switch
5. In the Switch box, type result
6. In the case box, click the add button and type in "(code from episode 1)", click add button and type in "(another code from episode 1)", repeat for however many branches you have. Make sure you use the " marks.
7. In each script box that pops up after you enter a code, just add a script - 'move player to page x' and start your story.

If you copy all of my code above and go to code view in a new game, delete everything there and replace it with my code, you will be able to see it in the GUI editor screen. Of course, the page titled 'NEW GAME' would be your 1st page of episode 2.

Hope that helps!

XanMag

jonathankj
thanks for the input, i will definitly try it, but i am very bad with coding and scripting so if i dont make it i hope it is okay if i ask for more help with this approach

XanMag
Absolutely. Just follow steps 1-7 and it should be a piece of cake! Good luck!

Anonynn
I wonder.
I've been thinking of how to do a sequel for a long time using the player's exact data they leave off with at the end of the first game.

Theoretically, if you use a copy of the first game, and clear all the data out of it except all the libraries and functions and whatnot that made your game unique, and then created a copy of the very last room from the last game and inserted it into the new game...Couldn't the player just pick up in that room in the sequel where they left off?