H4CKED GAME - Suggestions (Get your NAMES into the game)

DGNXFoxN
Alright,

I've come to a point where I'll be able to put in user submitted ideas to expand the game at this time.
Since you guys here on the forums have been of great help, I wanted to return some kind of favor by allowing your personal suggestions to get into the game (if possible). Unlike the other topic, this one is not about features but rather about naming certain parts of the game.

So long story short:
If you wish to do so, post your personal suggestions for the following things (note: these can be completely fictional):

- Usernames
- Passwords
- Server Names + IP Addresses
- Software Names
- Random file Names
- Names for NPC Characters

Most of the information will probably get implemented one point or the other (unless the suggestion is offensive in a way).
I'm hoping for a some interesting replies :)

Thanks in advance!

magano
Oooh interesting
I also made this kind of game in the past, so let me give you some of the things I used in my old game
NOTE: I haven't see that game yet, so my suggestions might be inappropriate for your gane design
For usernames and passwords, I used trojan and eLeCtRo for my old game but that sounds weird
Server Name: MX Development Console =》governs communication and transportation channels
Server URL: mxdc.com, IP:164.172.37.20, looped
Files used by server: phones.cb, translight.cb, dnsloops.cb and a lot more
NPCs: Black (Hacker), James Dallas (yourself, Programmer), Sarah (Injector)

DGNXFoxN
@magano
"weird" usernames and password add up to the realism i'm trying to bring.
Many people use weird usernames and passwords in real-life situations, so they are certainly welcome :)
Thanks for the suggestions ;) They will be added!

magano
:D okay, if you wish
Can I hear what this game's going to be like? The game design?
For my old game (maybe can be a source of inspiration)There's at least 70ish rooms where you will first collect the targets (who do you want to hack) and the crew. To hack you need a programmer, hacker and injector. Programmer will sit on the computer, hacker will physically go to the place of the server, injector will... inject the code to the remote server. You are scored based on speed and whether you hacked the right target or not

Some servers have security and can trigger police at a decent chance, so be careful on who you hacked. If the police found your IP address, game over (that's done by a simple but stacked probability). You win if you managed to hack to the MX Dept. Console (which was the server I gave you) which have the topmost security

There's a level up for you and your crew (simple system, however), 8 crew members to recruit, 16 targets to hack from and 10 hack methods (including DDoS and Malware Attack)

DGNXFoxN
@magano
The game is going to be a command-based open-world hacking simulator. The player will not have the ability to move, but will be able to explore a huge internet simulation. He/She will be able to connect to a big amount of servers, gather information, create virusses and release them on targets, create botnets and use them for DDoS attacks, interact with files, etc...
It would be very similar to http://www.telehack.com but with a more hacking-based feel to it. Since Telehack is mainly about exploring.

Your idea of having a "field-agent" is kinda interesting, if I have your permission, I would probably add it to the game at some point as it does sound like it could create interesting scenarios.

magano
Yeah, sure. You can add the idea as long as you credit me for that idea
I have those idea at that time because the scripting for your idea is pretty complicated (too complicated for me at that time, but maybe not anymore)
But yeah, there's also limitations to your idea such as the inability to provide clues, especially at the start of the game (except if you already have the system of it, or the player understood your game)
Oh yeah, I'm also ready to help you develop your game with all capabilities I got

DGNXFoxN
@magano
Everyone who has had any impact or helped in anyway will be credited for their actions.
About the clues, it's indeed a little harder to provide clues, but not impossible. Clues can be hidden in files the player finds or on websites or when they search specific things. I'm going to try not to have too many situations that look like a dead-end. But there is always a way to continue.

magano
That's if they can open the websites or files in the first place
You need to tell them how to connect (or at least show them a link that directed them to the help section, or a link which will do everything for them)
It's quite a dangerous idea since a person who can't understand the game can be forever stuck, but if it works, the game will be a great success (and it may be eligible to be in a competition!)

That's based on my experience in my old game, because some players are stuck in my game whenever they wanted to launch a DDoS attack, because they don't even know what DDoS do. Don't let that happen in yours

DGNXFoxN
Exactly ;) Everything players need to know to be able to play and progress will be available through the "help" page that they can open any time.
It will cover commands, terminology and so much more :)

magano
I just tried your game and got confused... immediately after opening the game
I would suggest to launch a tutorial play first (like, a demo play using a demo server, demo file, demo everything) before playing the actual game, just to make sure that they understand your game well
To do just that, use another room (different than your main game), copying all the basic commands (and just the basic commands) and set a tutorial attribute to true

Use the attribute to limit what the players can do during the tutorial (like, limiting the servers a player can access during the tutorial)
Other than that, I have seen a great potential of your game. Well designed, and well done!

DGNXFoxN
Understandable, the game has little to no content at this moment. Still working out most of the basic stuff.
The game should present you with a line telling you about the help command right at the start.
There will be a tutorial in the game once a few of the main features are completely done. However, I will probably not let the tutorial pop-up at the start, but go with a part in the help page mentioning it. Although it is a game I'm trying not to throw too many "THIS IS A GAME" lines at the player.
When a player gets stuck or confused and requests the help page, things should become more clear from there.

Long story short, the game should feel "realistic" in its own way, that's why everything reminding you that it is a game or how to do stuff will be displayed on one page. But like I said: It's still a work in progress. I don't expect this game to be version 1.0 for quite some time.

DGNXFoxN
Anyway, I'm still open for suggestions (names, etc...) to add into the game. Once I have a bunch I can start setting up these suggestions and get a bigger amount of content for people to try :)

ccooldean
Password Idea: tacosrock
Username Idea: maryjane
NPC name idea: Dean (Yes, I know it's a weird name)
So there is some suggestions.

HegemonKhan
chuckles... these usernames and passwords are very poor for security, wink :D

this is a really good (professional~expert) site:

https://www.grc.com/intro.htm

this will show you how partially secure (how many combinations there are for brute force discovery) your UserName~Password is:

https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm (the links at the bottom are very informative~interesting too)

(haha, the alphabet, 26 characters, has enough combinations that it would take trillions of centuries based just on brute force, and in not knowing the alphabet is being used, of course. UserName and~or Password length of 26 characters is quite secure for just the length size part of full security, hehe)

and just explore the site (such as the other topics in the 'services' category, and etc categories), lots of really useful info and software too.

magano
Yeah, it's not that strong, but I believe that there will be another security features (firewall, maybe?) That the game will implement to back that up

In my old game I have 4 layers of security that you needed to breach to connect to the server and hack it

DGNXFoxN
Thanks for the suggestions so far, it'll be a long read for those websites but it might be worth it.
The different layers of security could be something interesting. Firewalls, System Monitoring, Log Analyzing, etc... There will probably be some interesting things to create with it.

HegemonKhan
ya, computer knowledge is endless sighs, and I'm just learning the very basics of programming, sighs. All this network security~code~etc stuff you guys~girls understand, is totally alien to me, sighs. So much to learn, and I'm already old, sighs. It's really despairing... especially when I'm so slow at learning just this most basic stuff too, that I'm trying to learn right now.

magano
Well HK, I'm learning that too but I think I'm younger than you
But games like this is complicated enough in principle, and you needed to simplify all that to make the game playable at an absolute minimum (since not everyone understood CMDs) and it also must be challenging enough to be interesting