Tutorial Game?

XanMag
Is there a "game" on Quest that helps people new to using it? Specifically using the GUI...

If not, I thought about trying to piece one together for a couple reasons:
1) It will help me learn more code and make me a better, more efficient game designer.
2) It will be helpful to those new to Quest but feel overwhelmed, I think.

My room list is below...
<object name="different kind of objects room">
<inherit name="editor_room" />
</object>
<object name="room that changes script once">
</object>
<object name="use object on another object room">
</object>
<object name="room with object that can be switched on">
</object>
<object name="standard NPC room">
<alias>standard NPC ask and tell room</alias>
</object>
<object name="sounds images room">
<alias>sounds and images room</alias>
</object>
<object name="get input room">
</object>
<object name="dark room that lights up room">
</object>
<object name="transfer objects room">
</object>
<object name="call function room">
</object>
<object name="flag setting room">
</object>
<object name="unset flag room">
</object>
<object name="If Then room">
<description type="script">
</description>
</object>
<object name="show use menu room">
<alias>show and use menu room</alias>
</description>
</object>
<object name="container room">
</object>
<object name="transportation room">
</description>
</object>
<object name="turnscript room">
</object>
<object name="timer room">
</object>
<object name="damaged health room">
<alias>damage health, death, and undo room</alias>
</object>
<object name="edibles room">
</description>
</object>
<object name="naming objects room">
</description>
</object>
<object name="fancy output room">
<alias>"fancy" output room</alias>
</description>
</object>
<object name="changing player object room">
</object>
<object name="changing clothes room">
<alias>change clothes and look at me room</alias>
</description>
</object>
<object name="making an object visible room">
</object>
<object name="introductory room">

I have a ton of rooms labeled as you can see above. In each room there will be a simple (hopefully) tutorial on how to do each of those things. For example, in my "room that locks" room, I will actually have a room that locks and unlocks based on a very simple script. In this room there will also be an as-simple-as-possible walkthrough describing step-by-step how it was done (with screenshots from the GUI). I will also have a feature that has a 'code [object or room]' command' and the code for that object or room will pop up on screen. The entire program can be downloaded via an attachment and tinkered with personally, of course.

This is all very tentative. All I have currently are the room names, universal help commands, and the introductory room completed.

My questions are this...
1. Will it be worth it (with regards to my time invested and new Quest user usage)? I know it would be worth it personally, because it will help me code better and give me my own personal library to refer to.
2. Is the above described format the best way to accomplish this or do you brainiacs have a better approach? :)

Again, my feelings won't be hurt if you all shoot this idea down. That's why I haven't really fired it up yet. Also, like I said at the beginning... I'm not even sure if something out there already exists.

The hard part I think for me would be to make it game-like instead of a tutorial. I supposed each room could be a puzzle based on the goal of that room.

Let me know what you all think please!

Happy Gaming!
XanMag

adammadam
I think it'd be a good thing to have. The tutorial was ok, but there was a lot missing from it and I was left with no clue how to do a lot of things after completing it. I'm sure this would have helped.

jaynabonne
Rather than a single tutorial game with all of this, as an alternative, you could create a number of games / code samples and then post them in the "Libraries /Code Samples" forum, one per interesting topic. That would allow people who are wondering "how can I do X?" to more easily locate the answer.

That's just a thought, though, and you can take it on board or not. I'm not going to dissuade you from doing anything you wish to help others learn Quest! :)

HegemonKhan
some people may like this too, as we've already got some libraries~code samples (though we certainly can, and always can, use many more), so if XanMag wants to do this, then we'll have our first tutorial 'game~walkthrough' that people can 'play', hehe :D

I got some name ideas for it (lol):

beyond tutorial ~ tutorial beyond
tutorial 2 ~ tutorial intermediate
starting out ~ getting started: making the basics of rpg aspects in your game

InfectedBehaviour
Brilliant idea. Since I only understand the GUI and finding the code really confusing to understand. Not sure where to start and where to end with the code and why I find the GUI easier.

I also found that the tutorials didn't explain a lot when I finished it.

If anyone ever decides to create a game that teaches people such as myself, how to use code, that would be awesome aswell.

HegemonKhan
I'm trying with neonayon, though as posts, not a playable game. I'd love to try to help you to learn to code. Though, it seems like you've already have been looking at my posts, and they're failing to help you. Though maybe if you can guide me with what you need help with, code bit by code bit, maybe I could be of better help for you.

if you haven't yet looked at the latest posts in this thread (where I'm trying to help neon learn to code), here is the link:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5273&p=36720#p36711

(though this is a bit further into understanding code, as neonayon has already learned the more basic stuff then this, so this may be too far ahead in learning to code for you)

InfectedBehaviour
HegemonKhan wrote:I'm trying with neonayon, though as posts, not a playable game. I'd love to try to help you to learn to code. Though, it seems like you've already have been looking at my posts, and they're failing to help you. Though maybe if you can guide me with what you need help with, code bit by code bit, maybe I could be of better help for you.

if you haven't yet looked at the latest posts in this thread (where I'm trying to help neon learn to code), here is the link:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5273&p=36720#p36711

(though this is a bit further into understanding code, as neonayon has already learned the more basic stuff then this, so this may be too far ahead in learning to code for you)

Thanks mate, I appreciate the help and I am trying to learn.

I tired using gamemaker but I left it since the tutorials don't help since they are to old for the new versions that are out, The code keeps changing and it gets really frustrating. With Quest, it's really simple to understand, even though a lot has been left out of the Quest tutorials. Though there will come a point when I will push myself to learning code here.

HegemonKhan
I'd really recommend registering at:

http://www.codecademy.com/

and doing the 'python' language course, as it does a good job of explaining the code fundamentals, unlike the JS (JavaScript) language course (that I'm trying to do now myself, lol. I only jsut completed the python course).

the syntax+format is a bit different, but you should be starting to see the connections with it and with quest's code, and start to understand quest's code.

-------

I think the biggest problem with the tutorial, is that it doesn't go enough into Attributes and the 'if' Script, as these are really what you need to learn, as they are literally what let's you implement whatever you want to do within your game. And also, the tutorial needs to provide much more examples of implementation of various things, like 'life~health', simple combat, buying~selling, and etc, which are all understanding of Attributes and the 'if' Script, as I've just mentioned already above this sentence, lol.

The tutorial mostly just helps you with how to use the GUI~Editor itself, as it hardly touches upon the actual implementation~application of things that people will want to do with~in their games. The 'weight' and etc lessons aren't exacltly adequate.

Don't get me wrong though, for what the tutorial is, it is really great, it does a really good job, and it was a lot of work to create. But, for game making, it doesn't really cover, so people are left stuck.

Father thyme
I think a tutorial game is a great idea. I have written several games and still have no idea what an attribute (for instance ) is. Most guides for dummies seem to start in the middle, assuming everyone knows all the technical terms and simple stuff already. There are several things in quest I had to find out by working it out the hard way . I'm sure there of long winded ways I still use.

InfectedBehaviour
@HegemonKhan

Thanks I'll give it a shot. The "if" script I actually do understand and have used it several times already in my Living Nightmare game. Though the Attributes I'm still unsure of but have found ways to work around them.

Father thyme wrote:I think a tutorial game is a great idea. I have written several games and still have no idea what an attribute (for instance ) is. Most guides for dummies seem to start in the middle, assuming everyone knows all the technical terms and simple stuff already. There are several things in quest I had to find out by working it out the hard way . I'm sure there of long winded ways I still use.

I agree with you. If this tutorial has a good step by step guide and explains every little thing to what Quest can do. Then eventually only thing that's left for beginners is learning how to use the code.

@XanMag

I would greatly suggest adding several game tutorials within this game. Even though the game it's self may explain everything to beginners, Sometimes the beginner needs to actually follow the steps to creating a certain game for them to learn. Plus it would encourage beginners to continue and not get discourage and want to try something else instead.

XanMag
I'll take this on for a bit of a (learning) challenge and will try to make it enjoyable. I will probably ask a few questions along the way. You've been warned!!

Of course I won't really, really start it until after my "release party" for Xanadu 2 which has been set for July 16! =)

LOTW
Instead of making separate games, or having one long tutorial, I think you should make an option at the beginning to go to each different kind of tutorial. Also, I think this is a great idea. I'm still only starting out, and I've only made one short two-room game so far, just to test everything. I seem to spend more time looking up how to do things than I do actually doing them, so I think this would be very useful.

HegemonKhan
that's a good idea (though it's a lot more work, not sure exactly how much work XanMag wants to put into this endeavor, lol):

(though this might be too complex and~or large, might just be better to make individual games for each lesson~tutorial topic)

let them choose the 'lesson~tutorial', and then move them (the player) to that room(s) that contain that choosen 'lesson~tutorial'

room1 = Attributes
room2 = Scripting (the 'if' Script and etc Scripts, learning expressions, and the 'if~code' logic brain training needed)
room3 = List and Dictionary usage
room4 = Object Types
room5 = Functions
room6 = Commands
room7 = Verbs
etc etc etc