Is there a demo game available?

Marya Clare
The tutorials ok. But I was wondering if there's an "example" game (.aslx) to download and edit.

I would find it easier to look at an already completed game because than I interpret certain concepts in context better.

HegemonKhan
well, there's lots of guides, code samples, libraries, numerous posts (having code in them), and any game made, you can see its code.

if you handled the tutorial decently well, you can move onto studying the code documentation (growing your knowledge base of quest capabilities):

http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/

and there's also these guides for you to look at too:

http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/guides/
viewforum.php?f=18 (more guides: Libraries and Code Samples)

I'd recommend trying to understand this as a first next step after the tutorial:

http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/ ... ation.html

---------------

the main two things you need to learn as the basics~fundamentals are:

Attributes (and as scripting via through the GUI~Editor's 'run as script -> add a~new script' circle buttons: the 'set a variable or attribute' Script) and the 'if' Script and its 'if~code' logic.

as with an understanding of these, especially when used together, you can do 90% of anything~everything that you want to do in your game.

----------

also, you can jsut ask~post for help too, hehe :D

maybe tell us what type of game are you interested in making, what are you interested in doing? what's your focus? making a game, learning to code, or doing something else with quest (instructional~'powerpoint' like 'games' or whatever). what you want to learn first, or what you're having trouble in learning~understanding, etc etc etc.

as then we'll have a better understanding and be able to help~guide you to what you need or provide it~help to you, directly.

-------

here's the basic 'rock, paper, scissor' game, if you'e interested (done by me, but I'm a noob at coding, so it's probably not the best design of coding):

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4094

which you can take a look at and play.

XanMag
This might make a difference... are you wanting a "choose your own adventure game" or a "text based adventure game" like Zork?

I'd accept the challenge of making a short text based adventure game (and post the code as HK did for his) if that will help. Let me know!

TM123
HegemonKhan wrote: any game made, you can see its code.

How is that done?

HegemonKhan
just right click on the file and choose to open it with a text software (notepad, wordpad, notepad++, text editor, etc). If the game file is a game uploaded to the site, I believe you can download it, the file's as a zip file, which you got to unzip (winrar, 7zip, etc software), and then you can open it as told at the beginning of this paragraph.

or, just double click on the game file, and within the GUI~Editor, click on the notepaper like button at the bar at the top of the screen, it's between the 'play' and '?-help' button. This notepaper like button is a toggle to go back and forth between the GUI~Editor mode and the (entire~full game) Code View mode.

TM123
That works for .aslx files, but all the games are .quest files.

HegemonKhan
then maybe not, maybe when the file is converted into the .quest file, it is protected and the code can't be seen (which is how it should be, as your code is your IP, your intellectual property), though letting people see code, does help everyone learn to code better, but it is up to the person, as they own their code, their intellectual property.