How do you deal with 100s of objects?

lightwriter
I hate having 100s of objects in the list of objects, especially since, I don't need to really use many of them... I know you can use collapsed menus but still there's like 200 in each category so that's a pain as well?
Is there another method with adding minor objects so you can keep the focus on main objects like characters and rooms?

XanMag
Can't you just tick them as scenery objects or am I missing your intent?

lightwriter
No, I'm just talking about how there's just a mass wall of objects when editing a game

TinFoilMkIV
if an object isn't inside a game room you can put them inside another object named after whatever group or category of objects you're putting there for organization.

XanMag
Oh, gotcha. I agree, it is a bit annoying. I have 91 rooms in my current game... and too many to count objects in those rooms. I have four dead rooms that I move stuff in and out of and it especially gets bothersome when I can't find an object or a room that I need to edit (I know the search box is there and is useful, I wish it would just take me to location when I click on it instead of a single object name). It would be awesome if the saved game file opened exactly as you left it - that is with rooms/objects collapsed. Is that possible?

I was going to ask this question in a different topic, but I'll leave it here because it is along the same lines.

Is there a way to 'search' for something in code view, especially those things that are NOT objects or rooms (like flags)?

lightwriter
I do that Tin but it's still annoying to have a bunch of categories on the screen when trying to focus on other things

adammadam
it is quite bad I wish there was some kind of filter system, but you can at least give them logical names. Like break your game up into sections. Section 1, section 2 etc. Then have things named "section1 Location bathroom" "section 1 Location kitchen" "section1 person david" "section1 kitchen object knife" "section1 bathroom object makeup" etc.. then put them all in a master room called section 1 just to tidy the lefthand side up with all the objects and rooms. then the same for section 2 etc.

HegemonKhan
see here:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4808

keep the organization outside of your game file :D
(then jsut copy and paste what you need~want into your game file)

jaynabonne
If I may ask, what are all these objects used for? Is there a different way to approach the problem they're solving that might be less insanity-inducing? :)

lightwriter
I'm creating a game like Animal Crossing so there's a ton of objects that once I code the interactive stuff I no longer need to see it
EDIT: I think I've come up with a little solution that combines a few people's methods:
1. Create Minor Object
2. Do GUI Stuff for object
3. Go into code mode and find the code for the object
4. Copy code and put into a library for later usage
5. When the game is done then import the library
6. Fix any bugs or errors

jaynabonne
You could put them in libraries, especially if they don't necessarily have a parent room that's part of the main room hierarchy. If they do, then it won't work. But if they're independent objects that you will dynamically move to a room using code, then you could offload them to separate library files.

If you do try anything, whatever you do, be sure to create a backup before doing anything potentially destructive!

lightwriter
I will and I tested it out and it works, except it's kinda annoying since it's just extra work
EDIT: Objects inside another object work fine! Yes! Makes it so much easier

HegemonKhan
there's also this too (for RPG-item Objects, not generic Objects or Room Objects):

Sora's Stackable Library ( viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3515 )

but it hasn't been converted~updated to quest's current version yet.

-------

I thought I posted this some where already, but oh well, too lazy to do a quick search for it, laughs), so here it is again:

you can also do a folder~directory drilling heireachy too (both for actually in-game used objects and for your own organization behind the scenes ~ which I think you already are doing ~ understood from the other posters on this), using this (an in-game Object usage) as an example:

'player' Player Object
-> 'storage' Object
->-> 'spell storage' Object
->->-> 'fire spell storage' Object
->->->-> 'fireball' Object
->->->-> 'firewall' Object
->->-> 'water spell storage' Object
->->->-> ''tsunami' Object
->->->-> 'flood' Object
->-> 'equipment storage' Object
->->-> 'weapon storage' Object
->->->-> 'sword storage' Object
->->->-> 'axe storage' Object
->->-> 'armor storage' Object
->->->-> 'head storage' Object
->->->-> 'chest storage' Object
->->->-> 'foot storage' Object
->->->-> 'waist storage' Object
->->->-> 'back storage' Object
->->->-> 'hand storage' Object
->->-> 'clothing storage' Object
->->-> 'item storage' Object

--------

and here's an organizational behind the scenes example (which I think you already are using ~ understand already):

<object name="worlds">
<inherit name="editor_room" />
<object name="earth">
</object>
</object>

<object name="continents">
<object name="asia">
<attr name="parent" type="object">earth</attr>
</object>
<object name="europe">
</object>
<object name="africa">
</object>
<object name="north_america">
</object>
<object name="south_america">
</object>
<object name="australia">
</object>
<object name="antarctica">
</object>
</object>

<object name="dungeons">
<object name="dragon_lair">
<attr name="parent" type="object">asia</attr>
</object>
<object name="medusa_lair">
<attr name="parent" type="object">europe</attr>
</object>
</object>

jaynabonne
The stackable library wouldn't apply in this case (since it deals with multiples of the same object as opposed to a multiplicity of different objects).

Just to be clear...