switching between desktop and web interface with Advanced features

improvstartrek
I'm working on a game that requires me to use the libraries for both elevators and for nautical directions (you can take a look at my username for a hint as to why), so I'm on the verge of setting up the desktop app (with a little work-I'm a Mac user and I'll be setting up a VM).

My only concern is that I'm working on this game collaboratively with some others, and they'll still need to be logging in through the web interface. Will the fact that the game is using the advanced features, set up on the desktop app, prevent or cause any difficulty for anyone who's still working on other aspects of the game through the web interface? Or should we wait until everything else is done before adding those libraries?

As this is my first post on the forum let me also say a big thanks to everyone who maintains this great software and all the libraries!

The Pixie
Yes it will be a problem. If you work off-line you will be working on one copy on your harddrive, whilst your friends are working on another copy altogether in the cloud. You canot use the desktop version of Quest to edit online files.

improvstartrek
That makes sense, I understand why we wouldn't want to be working on separate copies.

If I use the desktop application to add and modify the library files, then publish the game as a .quest file, and upload it back to the site, will we again be able to switch back to editing the game solely through the web interface (except for when advanced features need modified)? Or will the addition of those features cause a problem since they're not supported by the web interface.

The Pixie
No, that is not an option. Once you download it you cannot upload it in an editable form (I suppose it might be possible to e-mail it to Alex, and he could upload it).

If you want the features added sooner rather than later, all of you need to be using the off-line version. It does allow you to do more, as you cannot add attributes in the on-line version. You would then need to share the game somehow. You could put it on GitHub, though that might be overkill, or save it in the cloud, eg with DropBox.

improvstartrek
Okay, that answers my question. Thanks for the explanation!

We'll need to wait to add libraries until the end, I guess. The web interface is great for multiple people working together, but not everyone who's contributing will be able set up their own VM to use the desktop app.