Wanting my game start checked please

Scoticis
Hi all.
I haven't been doing this for long but I have been creating a RPG game.
I am trying to make it as interactive as I can.
I would like some people to test what I have so fare to see if I should continue or if it is needlessly complicated. If anyone is willing to help with this I would really appreciate it, and please let me know how to go about making it accessible to you.
Thank you.

XanMag
I'll give it a shot. PM me.

HegemonKhan
I too am trying to learn more code for RPG aspects myself, wanting to make a RPG too at some point, so I'll be glad to help you with whatever you need :D

I'm pretty busy though, so I don't have time to play test games, but I'll help with any questions you got on things, in-so-far as I can.

TinFoilMkIV
I'd be willing to take a look and give some feedback.

jaynabonne
I'd be happy to give it a going over. A PM is fine.

Scoticis
Great. Thank you all.
At the moment it is just about checking if I have over complicated the interaction side of it. There is no plot or anything yet. and should only take 10 mins to run through and try everything. Will publish it then get in touch.

Scoticis
http://textadventures.co.uk/games/view/ ... agick-game

Have uploaded it. Please see what you thing and give me honest constructive feed back. And if you can work out how to fix any glitches or bring them to my attention would be great. Thank you.

Scoticis
There are a lot of usable phrases. like look at, look away, light, put out. etc etc.
Use object on object and throw around the water and chop wood, pick and dry herbs etc,etc. Try and interact as much as you can I guess. then see if it will work or if I will end up shooting myself in the foot as the game goes on with this level of intersection.

Thanks all.

jaynabonne
I just took a cursory look this morning before work (more later!), but I clicked right away on "Bunch of Drying Herbs" in the inventory pane, and it gives me four verbs:
- Look at
- look away
- Look away
- Look away from

I can only guess that someone at some point must have typed "look away from herbs", though I can't imagine why. I would look away from a horrific accident, from an image of a gnarly spider, from a scene of a dog being neutered, etc, but I can't work out why someone would look away from herbs. At any rate, assuming you want the verb, you might want to consider consolidating the verb list, as the last three all do the same thing (which is basically to say, "You look away from the drying herbs.")

TinFoilMkIV
My first impression is much like Jay's. The first thing that I would clean up would be consolidating the verbs. As it stands some of the less common patterns used can be confusing when you don't realize they're the same as some of the others, as well as creating visual clutter for your options.

When you create a verb, the first box is the pattern, which determines what you have to type to activate or use the verb. This is where you can put multiple commands to call the same verb. So if you have one action with several different things you can type to cause it, the pattern is where you put all of that.

XanMag
I second what Jay and TinFoil said. Simplify/streamline player options with items. There is no need to look away from an object, unless you 'freeze' your character after gazing into, let's say, Saruman's staff. Then, that might make sense, but for what I see you doing with your game, it is not a necessary command.

Also, there are a few grammar things that are easy enough to clear up - to, too, sitting and cobble, namely. I think there were 4 misspelled words in the cottage description.

I don't know if you plan on using any or all of those things, especially those in the opening room, but if not, I would try and limit the number of objects that appear in the Items window to the right. At one point there are nine items in the window pane and you can only really interact with one of them. I would consider marking those items as "scenery" (I think that's what it is) so the player can still look at them if they choose, but are not necessary to the game - or, that you want to use them to give clues in their 'look at' description to a particular puzzle.

In my first game, I had the window pane visible during game play, but in game two I am definitely not making that an option. There were some bugs I had noticed in my first game when players opted to use the item/inventory panes instead of typing. I prefer to not have the panes when I play because I think it sometimes offers too many 'hints' as to what to do with those objects, or more likely (in my games) gives a jumble of options that I only really intend for the sarcastic gamer that want to kiss a troll, or kill an ogre with a wet noodle. Either way, consider getting rid of the panes if it would work for you. These options are available in the game tab in the GUI.

Also, if you plan on having instructions for spells, especially those that are lengthy like that first one, it would be a good idea to either allow the player to take the spell page or to create a journal item that copies the spell description in a journal that the player could carry around. This isn't too hard to do. If you have questions about that, ask.

You do a better job than most it appears with giving descriptions to the things that players can look at, but I LOVE it (LOVE IT) when authors take the time to add scenery objects that give a response when a player looks at them. Example, 'look at trees' or 'look at path' gives an "I can't see that" response, but it SAYS there are scraggly trees and a path in the description. Obviously, this is not a game design thing, but more of a player preference thing. It gives depth and freedom to the world you are trying to create.

All-in-all, I think you certainly have the correct idea on how to write a TA - your setting is good and there is already a 'classic feel' for the short bit you have offered. As you continue to fiddle around with Quest, you'll find ways to accomplish what you want with minimal interference. I'd suggest that you continue to tinker with it and when you come across an issue that you can't solve or just needing advice on things, post it to the forum. The people here are incredibly helpful in ironing out the issues that new game designers have (I would know, trust me!!!).

If you get a chance, play 'Xanadu - the World's Only Hope' and let me know what you think!

Happy gaming. And if you have questions, please ask. I look forward to your finished product.

XanMag

Scoticis
Great. Thanks people! I appreciate the help.
The reason for the look away is it activists close object to hide the objects in contained. For instance looking away from the bunch of herbs will close it so you don't have the thyme etc cluttering up your screen as I am looking at putting a lot of herbs into the game. But i understand what you are saying.
I would like to know how to make a journal that the player can take with them if you can point me in the right direction to find out how to do it would be great.
Also, please let me know what objects you could not interact with as I am trying to make everything interactive and need to know what is coming up as being there but not usable as I thought I have got it all.
And thank you for pointing out the spelling and grammar problems. I am relying on spell checker to help me in this as I struggle with spelling etc because partly due to mild dyslexia. I often get miss things and it is great when people can point it out to me so I can fix it and try to learn :D
Thank you all for your help and feedback. :)

TinFoilMkIV
I didn't notice anything that seemed to have no response to a logical action, but I can't say I did a comprehensive check with all of the verb clutter with a fair amount of the objects.

Scoticis
Sweet. Will work on clearing some of that out. lol
I had made the game a a mouse game and it didn't have that. But then when I tried to re do it to allow text commands it go messy.

HegemonKhan
a source for a journal (thanks to Pixie and his~her many libraries):

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2610

which is found~from this forum-board:

viewforum.php?f=18 (more guides: Libraries and Code Samples)

if you need help on how to implement~add libraries to your game:

(a library is just more code, that is added to your game. So, think of a library as like a(n) 'add-on', 'mod', 'xpac', and~or a 'patch' like with~for games)

http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/ ... aries.html
http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/ ... aries.html

or just ask us (or XanMag as he~she offered) for help

-----------------------------------

a game file's code:

<asl version="560">
// (your entire game's code~contents)
</asl>

a library file's code:

<library>
// (your code~contents)
</library>

and both have the same extension for their files of: *.aslx

Scoticis
Cool. Thanks. Will try put it in. :)

HegemonKhan
Pixie's OP library download hasn't been updated-converted for the newer question versions, so read the posts below, as Sora tells how to convert the library so that it will work. If you need help, ask, as you got to go into the code and change a thing(s) around.

Or... just download the updated library in the below (Sora's) post (lazy bum, just kidding, hehe), laughs:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2610#p24083

Scoticis
http://textadventures.co.uk/games/view/ ... agick-game

I have revised the game and made some changes. Can anyone please take another look at it for me?

XanMag
First off, it is much better. The added descriptions certainly add to the ownership of it all.

I'll make suggestions room by room... and then an overall suggestions at the end.

Add an intro to the game. I would add a script to run an introduction at the beginning. If it stays as is, the player may not know what the point of the story is before they start.

Study...

1. x floor --> add a comma after 'either way' and change 'ok' to 'okay' and 'to' to 'too'
2. x fire --> 'A' not 'a'
3. x desk --> 'sitting' not 'siting' and 'Looking' not 'looking'
4. add a command for 'read book' or 'read spell 1' --> the only way I can read spell 1 is to look at it.
5. I assume the journal is not implemented yet. I mean, it's there, but all it can be used for is an 'x journal' response, right?

Bathroom...
1. change 'coble' to 'cobble'... in fact, change ALL cobble stone to 'cobblestone'

Garden...
1. Suggestion --> get rid of 'up turned' bugs and replace it with 'scurrying bugs' or something of that sort?
2. 'change 'grab up...' to simply 'grab' when moving into the garden and picking up the knife. Actually, why don't you put the knife in the desk or somewhere in the garden and force the player to find it and pick it up? Maybe put it in the chest in the bedroom?
3. I'll assume the chopping block is not a complete item yet? It tells me it is nothing out of the ordinary. I'd at least have a simple description in the 'look at' box for now. If you don't want to add a 'use' command to it, that's fine since the game is in beta. Just an FYI.
4. When using the pump, the word 'leaved' is in there. I think your intent was 'lever' maybe?
5. After you use the pump and you 'x water' or 'get water' there are two water options that pop up. I'm not sure where the second water came from or why the second water is there? Actually, this happens with the herbs as well. For giggles, I tried to put the herbs in the chest in the bedroom, and I constantly get a couple different herb option that I think are identical. I think I know the issue here because I had the same with my berry in the desert =). When taking the thyme, for example, I would have a script that moves the thyme to the inventory AND a flag that goes up. Maybe name it 'thymetaken'. If the player tries to take more thyme, have an 'If' message that says something like 'You already have thyme and you need no more.' If the player does not have the flag 'thymetaken' then add it to the inventory. If the thyme is used or eaten, simply unset the flag so the thyme can be taken again. The other option is to add an 'If' statement that checks if thyme is in the player inventory and disallow it to be taken again if it is. If you do this, you may need to make the thyme undroppable, which may be a hassle. You could also make the bundle a surface container. If the thyme is removed, the surface container (in this case, the bundle of hanging herbs) will no longer contain thyme. If the player destroys the thyme, simply move the thyme back to the parent container 'bundle of hanging herbs'. Then, you could go back and take them again. Forgive me, however, I cannot fully remember what you named the dried herbs that are hanging up. Or, since there is an herb plot in the garden, you could force the player to pick fresh thyme and then use it with the pot/fire to dry it out? Any of these three options should work. This should eliminate any of the multiple waters or herbs that are popping up. Other coders may come along and give you a code you could copy-paste to make it easier, but this is what I would do.
6. Add a command for 'drink water'. It seems reasonable enough, right? So, just allow the player to drink the water or maybe add a response like 'you are not thirsty' or 'the water doesn't look clean enough to drink, but you could use it to water the plot.' Then, you could move the water 'object' back to the trough once used.
7. Will catching a chicken be possible? I tried to get chicken but it said I have to catch one first. I assume at some point later in an updated game that I will be able to or need to catch one? If not, then please remove the 'you have to catch one first' because it will just confuse the player and waste their time trying to do things to catch a chicken that wasn't catchable in the first place =)

Bedroom...
1. floor --> make scenery as you did in the other room. The floor is showing up in the places and object pane and I don't think you intended it to because it's not there in the other rooms (I think).

General...
1. Make sure you have periods at the end of your sentences, especially noticeable in the 'x object' descriptions. Minor.
2. I enjoyed the added description and the sounds. Added sounds are very underrated in my opinion. It pulls me in more. I use http://www.freesound.org/browse/ for the noises I am using in my second game. Good stuff in there. But, if you use them as often as you seem on planning to use them, be prepared to spend some time searching/adding sound. I like it a lot, but just be prepared!
3. All in all... much better. You are tinkering and tinkering will equal learning. Keep at it and continue to ask questions if you have them.

Happy Gaming!

XanMag

XanMag
Oooh. Also, you may want to ask a moderator to bump this to the 'Game Announcement and Feedback' forum section. It fits better there. =)