Code obfuscation / hiding solutions

quatropig
Hello all. I am making a text adventure that forms part of a bigger puzzle for g-e-o-c-a-c-h-i-n-g ( <-- hopefully that makes this less searchable! :lol: )

My problem: There are g-e-o-c-a-c-h-e-rs (like myself :roll: ) who might look at the shortest route to a solution. This might involve opening the .aslx file and looking for the solution to the puzzle, rather than playing the game and solving it properly.

Does anyone have some suggestions on how I might obfuscate the solution to my puzzle? Can the .aslx file be obfuscated? Can it be set to only be played online without local play?

Thanks in anticipation.

Pertex
Hi,
no there is no possibility to hide the code. Even an online game can be saved locally and then be unzipped

quatropig
Thanks Pertex. I have come to the solution of making a "puzzle complete" screen that the player must take a photo of that displays the inventory too. Certain items must be present in the inventory to finish the game. They will then need to post online the screenshot to prove they played the game. This too could be faked but by this stage the player would only be cheating themselves...

jaynabonne
It's always possible to obfuscate code. I had a task at a previous company of doing exactly that to "tamper proof" some code. It all depends on what you're trying to hide and the lengths you're willing to go to do it. Some people obfuscate their code just by writing it. lol

XanMag
I wish someone could "unobfuscate" my wife sometimes... =)

jaynabonne wrote:Some people obfuscate their code just by writing it. lol

And... somehow, Jay, I feel like like you are directing that comment at me!! :lol:

Good luck g-e-o-c-a-c-h-i-n-g, quatro. Cheating at that is for punks only!!

Happy Gaming!

jaynabonne

And... somehow, Jay, I feel like like you are directing that comment at me!!

Actually, no. lol