Changing Start Location

kiltgy
Total newbie question. I have created a series of rooms. However, I have decided that I want to start my adventure in a different location. When I create a new room, it is added at the bottom of the tree. How can I move it to the top of the tree (or some other action that will make my new room the starting location of my game)?

Cheers!

Pertex
Just drag&drop the player object in the left tree into your new room

kiltgy
Pertex wrote:Just drag&drop the player object in the left tree into your new room
Is that true for the online version as well? Because I do not seem to have the drag/drop function

Pertex
No, in the online version just select the player object and press the move button in the top right corner. Then select the new room

HegemonKhan
this (my code of~for a quick sample playable~testable game below) is a bit more advanced, as it deals with using scripting to choose your character (which then determines what room you start in), which you're likely dabbling in a bit with the GUI~Editor via using its:

'whatever' Object -> 'Verbs' Tab -> (select~choose~add~create your scripts)

but here it is for you (when you're ready, hehe), but I'm doing it in code (as it is faster~easier for me, sorry):

<asl version="560">
<include ref="English.aslx" />
<include ref="Core.aslx" />
<game name="testing game stuff">
<gameid>b073bbfb-0e99-45d3-9786-bb395a6bc6b0</gameid>
<version>1.0</version>
<firstpublished>2015</firstpublished>
<author>HegemonKhan</author>
<description>This is just a quick sample game</description>
<subtitle>Parent, MoveObject, Pov, and ChangePov</subtitle>
<category>RPG</category>
<pov type="object">player</pov>
<start type="script">
show menu ("choose your character", split ("player;human;dwarf;elf", ";"), false) {
// the quest engine automatically (hidden) from you, sets its built in variable: result = your_selected_choice
switch (result) {
case ("player") {
msg ("You, player, are already set as the 'game.pov' and already placed~set within~at your starting location, room.")
}
case ("human") {
game.pov = human
game.pov.parent = castle
msg ("You, human, are set as the 'game.pov', and are placed~set within~at your starting location, castle.")
}
case ("dwarf") {
// alternative commands (the GUI~Editor's ' run as script->add a~new script-> ??? or objects -> ??? ' uses these):
ChangePov (dwarf)
MoveObject (game.pov, mountain)
msg ("You, dwarf, are set as the 'game.pov', and are placed~set within~at your starting location, mountain.")
}
case ("elf") {
game.pov = elf
game.pov.parent = forest
msg ("You, elf, are set as the 'game.pov', and are placed~set within~at your starting location, forest.")
}
}
}
</start>
</game>
<object name="room">
<inherit name="editor_room" />
<object name="player">
<inherit name="editor_object" />
<inherit name="editor_player" />
</object>
</object>
<object name="castle">
</object>
<object name="mountain">
</object>
<object name="forest">
</object>
<object name="human">
</object>
<object name="dwarf">
</object>
<object name="elf">
</object>
</asl>

kiltgy
Pertex wrote:No, in the online version just select the player object and press the move button in the top right corner. Then select the new room

Thank you. I am a teacher and am struggling to keep this in terms that my students (and ME!!!) can understand! We'll give that a shot!