Brand new user here, already stuck.

Redbank3k
Just downloaded the latest version of Quest. When I try to run a game, I'm met with this error message:

"A procedure imported by 'CefSharp.Core.dll' could not be loaded."

This freezes the whole programme. When I try to stop the game, this comes up:

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Followed by:

"System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at TextAdventures.Quest.PlayerHTML.Reset()
at TextAdventures.Quest.Player.ResetAfterGameFinished()
at TextAdventures.Quest.Main.ctlPlayer_Quit()
at TextAdventures.Quest.Player._Lambda$__27()"

As I say, I'm brand new at this and don't understand any of it. I'm sure this has come up before but I can't find anything about it on the forums. What should I be doing?

Thanks.

Alex
What version of Windows are you using?

You might try reinstalling Quest, as this sounds like a problem that can happen if some of the required files are not installed correctly.

Redbank3k
I'm using XP. I've removed and reinstalled Quest a few times now. The older versions work just fine. It's only the latest release that I'm having a problem with.

I also seem to be missing a few features. I'm following the tutorial and my character "Bob" doesn't have a "Use/Give" tab. Have I completely messed up somewhere?

HegemonKhan
I had the same problem (I think likely due to):

using XP + old browser versions (of IE, and no other browser on computer, lol)

so, I think~guessing roughly, the new 'CefSharp' version you used for quest v560, isn't compatible with either XP and~or old IE~other browser versions, whereas, the older 'CefSharp' version that you used for quest v55X (550 and 551), is compatible.

but, I don't really understand 'CefSharp' and etc stuff... but I think this is generally in the right direction... I hope... of why the error is occuring for us who need to get updated computers+browsers, lol.

No reason for you to waste time on this, as personally it is us, we really need to update on our side. You shouldn't have to make compatibility for outdated legacy stuff... I mean.... why not make quest compatible with pre-XP (win 98 and etc)... my point. OS win XP+Vista needs to be retired~dead~killed off fully, seriously, its our problem, not yours. Quest needs to be win 7 compatible (as it is still very popular and will likely last 10+ years like XP has, lol), but not outdated XP+Vista compatible, that's just too old for you to waste time on.

-----

so, he~she for now, just needs to download and install the quest v551, and he~she should hopefully be fine.

-----

@Red:

the 'missing' Tabs are now 'toggled' in quest v550+551+560, as there were too many of them cluttering up the GUI~Editor:

http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/ ... notes.html (this is a really invaluable link, btw, and make sure you click on the individual 'blog' links for more and extra details, too)

you got to go into the 'game' Object and~or the individual Objects, (whatever the tags are called) Tags, to find the toggle options to show the missing Tabs

Go here:

http://textadventures.co.uk/quest/desktop

then click on the 'previous versions' button, and select version '551' = 5.5.1

this quest version should work for you...

Redbank3k
Thanks!

HegemonKhan
I don't think there's too much difference between '551' and '560', they're mostly the same. (and heck, some people may still be using even older versions of quest anyways, as people have been making games the entire time, some games are for older versions of quest: '400', and maybe '300', hehe).

You're not missing out on that much using '551' instead of '560'

and besides, Alex is working on a new and totally different version of quest:

QuestKit, which uses JS, which is much more useful than quest's current XML (though I'll have to learn JS... laughs, well this is a good thing actually).

Silver
You're missing loads. But only if you want to use the things that are different. It solved issues for me.

Marzipan
I'm using 5.6 with XP, haven't had any problems.

Unless it's something that only comes up with trying to play new games.

HegemonKhan
than maybe it has to do with browser version, and~or other net files, CefSharp files (or related files), and~or etc... some kind of missing files... are need for it to work, which you have, but we don't.

Marzipan
Well damn. Turns out I only thought I was using the newest version.

Went ahead and upgraded to see if it would fix an issue I was having and now I can't even run my game. :( I see the file that's throwing the error right there in the main folder so it's not like it's missing.

No one ever found a solution for this?

jaynabonne
Did you immediately save the game after loading it in the new version before running? That will upgrade it to the new version. At least, that's been a problem in the past.

If that's not it, then posting the error you're getting might spur some ideas.

HegemonKhan
if it's just a game issue, you just need to convert the code lines who's syntax~whatever that has been changed between the old to new versions of quest:

open up your game file with a text software (notepad, wordpad, notepad++, apple: text editor, etc), and manually change what you need to:

(hopefully you don't have too big a game file~code ... laughs... )

http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/ ... notes.html

(for example, I came~found quest when it was still version 520-530, so I had to convert a lot of the 'list~dictionary' ocde lines' syntaxes in my game files as these were changed with version 540)

Marzipan
The error is the same one the OP posted about: "A procedure imported by 'CefSharp.Core.dll' could not be loaded."

And I saved the game after opening it, yes. But I run into the same thing with every game, even a completely new one I made to test it.

e: redownloading/reinstalling 5.6 in a new folder didn't help either

HegemonKhan
ah, okay, that's a quest to computer~browser issue ... I got this issue too (as do some others) ...

I just use the older quest version (550~551), as my computer is so old: win XP with only an old versioned IE browser (no Firefox nor Chrome nor Opera). It's not connected to the internet due to being win XP and the Crypto-Malware out there (I lost the recovery~install cds and haven't backed up everything on it yet), laughs.

(I *FINALLY* got a new computer, + extra monitor for my old computer, as my old computer's monitor died, yeah! but haven't connected it to internet yet, so no quest on it yet)

you could try downloading '.net v3.5' (as if you jsut got a later '.net' version, some of them skip having the '.net v3.5' which a lot of internet stuff needs, but I don't think this helps for this 'CefSharp' issue. I don't know much about internet and their files yet, so I'm clueless on what even 'CefSharp.dll' is for and etc.

if your computer+browsers are new, then maybe Alex should look into this, but if it's just an old computer+broswer issue only, then I'm not going to waste his time on it.

Marzipan
I'd be pretty sad if it turns out XP is just straight up not supported anymore. It's an old operating system but it seems weird to me that I can play Skyrim but not a text game.

I'm just going to PM Alex and find out for sure. I don't see how asking him a question about his program is 'wasting is time'.

HegemonKhan
this came up in another post~thread (no idea where now), but it's just an issue with the new: v560

as the v550 (550 and 551), works fine for me and I think the others, and I think you too, right ?

so, if you want to ask Alex, that's fine, let him know that v550 (550 and 551) work fine, so whatever is different~missing in v560 is the cause to help him figure it out, I'm just not going to bug him myself, unless when I get connected with my new computer and it doesn't work, laughs.

Marzipan
The old versions do work fine but that's besides the point. You keep saying things like 'oh well, it's just XP, not worth bothering about' but if it specifically says that it works with XP right there on the downloads page I'm assuming that Alex's intention was for it to work with XP. If not...well, that likely means we'll be locked out of using all future versions of Quest as well, which would suck, but if that's the case it's still something I'd prefer to find out now before I get too invested in the idea of writing more games.

And in the meantime, not being able to play Quest games using the Quest program kind of is a major issue. And if that's at least three of us now in this tiny forum community who have run into it I imagine there are plenty of casual players out there who may just shrug and delete the whole thing without bothering to come post about it.

HegemonKhan
true, though xp is supposed to be dead, trying to get the remaining users of it to die off (the xp not the users!), laughs. I finally got a new computer, so no more xp, laughs. Maybe you should too (if you can~afford to do so), as possibly a fellow procrastinator (like me), laughs.

(Though, now I got to figure out how to get all, or as many as possible, of my old games to work with win 7, sighs~laughs. I got in 8.1 too, but am using win 7 only right now)

(win 7 will likely be like win XP, everyone loving it and using it for 10 years)

---------

my point is that, for me, v550 (550 and 551), is fine, and at some point, quest v560 will be an old version, with Alex completing the QuestKit new quest version, which will use JS (which is a more common language, able to be used on more devices and etc), instead of the quest versions using XML.

(I'll have a good reason to learn JS, laughs. I'm currently just learning python right now on codecademy site. took a break though as I'm in the application part and it takes a good 4-8 hrs to figure out how to do the stuff: code + math designs, argh, and playing some of my old games now on my new pc, lol)

Marzipan
Just fyi, Alex emailed me back the other day and told me to try installing ' vcredist_x86.exe' from here and then reinstalling the new Quest. Haven't been able to verify if it works or not due to internet issues but if anyone else is having the same problem it's worth a try.