Using "Quest" to write a roleplay terminal interface

Madeiner
Hi there.

I am a dungeon master, currently in charge of a roleplaying game of Star wars.
Since the characters usually access lots of computers, i had the idea of writing an interactive terminal interface for the the players to use.

Basically i'd like to write a few screens that should look like a command prompt.
The players can enter commands, like "hack this file" or "display this image", etc.
I would provide the list of commands and "files" in the "game" itself.

Is Quest the right software for this?
I need something simple and fast where i can input a couple files or information in the "terminal interface" for the players to discover.
I have a few questions:

- Can i disable commands? (like "moving" to other rooms: i suppose i would only have one "room")
- Can i change text fonts?(i'd like some star wars aurabesh) or background color (i'd need black blackground)
- Can i display images or sounds, or special events? (I'd like some things like hacking to potentially sound a loud alarm, a screen-wide red band that blocks the players out of the system)
- Some things will require real life rolls before i display a result. For example, if players try to enter a command like "hack firewall", can i then have an IF structure where the players will input their real-life dice rolls results, and display different information based on that IF?

Thanks everyone :)

Silver
Yes to all the above. It can't be online multiplayer though.

Madeiner
Thanks a lot!
I won't need online functionality, i will just use this on a laptop while we are playing our roleplaying game

Silver
No worries. Some of that is a bit off piste but you'll get whatever help you need here. :)

Silver
Oh, you can also get Quest to make the die roll if that works out any easier than rolling in real time. Either option is available.

The Pixie
I think it would work well. I would have multiple rooms, each corresponding to a function or document or database or whatever, and have the players type commands to go to a section. Say they type PSDB to go tpo the planetary survey database, and that moves them to that room. You can set up commands for a room, rather than for the whole game.

For the interface, I would start here to see how to get a DOS prompt style look:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4760&hilit=background&start=15#p31389

Silver
I've thrown together a basic retro computer theme that builds on Jay's css. It doesn't actually do anything but feel free to build upon it if it sets you off on the right track. I've put a wacky sound in the background just to show one way it can be done. To get the file just download it and then rename it to a zip file which should let you access everything iirc.

http://textadventures.co.uk/games/view/ ... uter-theme

Silver
Not sure why the cursor ends up underneath the square bracket...