Modifying default verbs? (xyzzy, jump...)

Allyson
Hello!

Sorry if this question has already been asked, but I couldn't find anything via the search function...

I wanted to create my own responses to default commands like jump and xyzzy, but I can't figure out where they are located in order to edit them, and the game won't let me make my own as long as the default ones are there. How should I proceed?

Silver
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5002

Silver
If you're using the online editor I think templates are the only option as someone else explains here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5106

The Pixie
Just do it. The only issue is that your new command must have a different name to the old one, so call it jump2, xyzzy2, etc. Copy the command pattern, make it do what you want it to do.

@Silver
Commands are kind of the opposite to functions here. With functions you have to have the same name, and the on-line editor prevents you doing that. With commands you have to have a different name, so are no problem with the on-line editor.

Silver
But you can still copy core commands into the game (as with functions) and edit them? I haven't worked at all with templates yet.

Allyson
Thank you for the quick replies!

I do use the online editor, I didn't realize they were different!

I did try to just create a new command, but it wouldn't let me create one called "jump" since it said there was already a "jump".
Wouldn't "jump2" mean that the user has to input "jump2" for it to work?

I'm not sure how to use templates, but I'll try to look into it if I decide to stay with the online editor.

I *think* I remember being able to change it easily when I used the downloadable editor for another project last year, I'll download it again and check!

EDIT : As mentioned in one of the linked topics, you can access the game's library of default verbs by clicking on "filter" in the bottom left corner. I ended up just deleting the words I wanted to use from there and re-creating them as my own commands. Still took a bit of fussing around to find the right settings for it to display text the way I wanted, haha.
No clue how this would be done on the online version, though (I'll just stick with the downloadable one for now!)

Thanks again to everyone :D

Silver
If you have the option, definitely use the offline editor.

The Pixie
Silver wrote:But you can still copy core commands into the game (as with functions) and edit them? I haven't worked at all with templates yet.

Yes you can, so I think I was talking rubbish there. I am sure that when I have created commands in the past it has complained if the names are the same, but it is certainly possible now (off line anyway). Whether Quest has changed or I was confused, I am not sure.

The Pixie
Allyson wrote:I did try to just create a new command, but it wouldn't let me create one called "jump" since it said there was already a "jump".
Wouldn't "jump2" mean that the user has to input "jump2" for it to work?

I'm not sure how to use templates, but I'll try to look into it if I decide to stay with the online editor.

On-line you definitely do need a different name, which means you cannot override functions. Commands, however, are fine. "jump2" is just an identifier Quest uses, what it matches is the pattern in the first text box. That can be the same as another command, so you can use "jump" there.

I do not think you can do anything with templates in the on-line editor.

Marzipan
Does anyone ever use the online editor for serious writing? It's great as a way to jump in and just check out the program but I dropped it pretty fast once I started to making a real attempt at a game, and it whenever it comes up it seems like most everyone else has done the same.

Silver
People using Mac / Chromebooks / Linux have no other choice if they want to use Quest as the offline tool is Windows only. I think that will be rectified with Quest 6 (QuestKit).