How to add a save game function

LucasLysis
hi im making a rpg based off my book im writing but i need it to have a save/load game function please i need help fast
:!:

jaynabonne
Quest games already have a save/load game function. What do you need help with?

LucasLysis
do you know how to add a choose your own name functions

Marzipan
jaynabonne wrote:Quest games already have a save/load game function. What do you need help with?

Sort of related, is there a way to add a load function that doesn't sloooooowly scroll through the entire game up to the point where the player left off?

Because that is beyond frustrating and I consider saves basically pointless because of it. It's usually faster to literally just replay the entire game from the beginning.

Silver
Yes. By not making your game one transcript (example - clearing the screen when entering new rooms rather than just adding more and more text).

Maybe there's another way though.

Marzipan
I guess I'd better go in and start making my game clear screens, then.

Still kind of an annoying situation as a player when 99% of the games on the site don't do this, though. And Quest games are the only place I've ever encountered this problem.

Silver
I started using clear screens from the outset, maybe it's my OCD telling me they still shouldn't be seeing things from previous locations in new ones. You then start running into other problems if you've been using any css as it clears that too :D although there's work arounds.

HegemonKhan
would it be possible to add 'ClearScreen' to the 'save game scripting' before the 'save game' code line runs? That, I think, would be best solution, if it's possible...

jaynabonne
Marzipan, does this help?

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4243

I have noticed this scrolling problem on reload before a well. Highly annoying!

Marzipan
HegemonKhan wrote:would it be possible to add 'ClearScreen' to the 'save game scripting' before the 'save game' code line runs? That, I think, would be best solution, if it's possible...

jaynabonne wrote:Marzipan, does this help?

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4243

I have noticed this scrolling problem on reload before a well. Highly annoying!

Both of these work! In jaynabonne's case adding it to the start script didn't change anything (it's possible I did something wrong), but I got results once I stuck it in the save game script. Hegemon's suggestion works too, though when you reload you get a blank screen. I'd like to add something there that displays the room the player is in...and I'm sure I used to know how to do this and it's something very simple, but I haven't opened Quest in so long I feel like I'm learning to use it all over again. :|

It's interesting realizing I can fool around with the save game script, though...kind of want to see if it's possible to do any fancy tricks with that now.

Silver
ShowRoomDescription

I think.

Marzipan
Silver wrote:ShowRoomDescription

I think.

Yep, there we go.

I kept looking for something with 'Display' in it, turns out all I had to do was scroll down further. :P