No command bar?

Alcor
Hey guys, sorry if this is an incredibly easy question, but I looked through the documentation and didn't see the answer.

I've started up a gamebook, but I want it to have player-tailorable stats at the start of game. However, after entering the following code:

msg ("Let's generate a character...")
msg ("First, what is your name?")
get input {
player.alias = result
msg ("Hi, " + player.alias)
player.gender = female
msg ("This game has five axes on which your character can move about. You can pick a starting value for these axes, which run from -50 to 50. Or, you can let the game do that for you.")
msg ("These axes are Mercy/Vengeance, Empathy/Coldness, Patience/Rashness, Kindness/Cruelty, and Honesty/Deception. The farther positive, the more virtuous the trait is. The farther negative, the more it is a vice.")
show menu ("Would you like to randomize or input stats?", Split("Randomize;Input", ";"), false) {
if (result == "Randomize") {
player.Mercy = GetRandomInt (-20, 20)
player.Empathy = GetRandomInt (-20, 20)
}
else {
msg ("Please input a value from -20 to 20 for your Mercy stat.")
get input {
player.Mercy = result
msg ("Your Mercy stat is " + player.Mercy)
msg ("Please input a value from -20 to 20 for your Empathy stat.")
get input {
player.Empathy = result
msg ("Your Empathy stat is " + player.Empathy)
msg ("Please input a value from -20 to 20 for your Patience stat.")
get input {
player.Patience = result
msg ("Your Patience stat is " + player.Patience)
msg ("Please input a value from -20 to 20 for your Kindness stat.")
get input {
player.Kindness = result
msg ("Your Kindness stat is " + player.Kindness)
msg ("Please input a value from -20 to 20 for your Honesty stat.")
get input {
player.Honesty = result
msg ("Your Honesty stat is " + player.Honesty)
msg ("All stats are now set.")
msg (" ")
msg ("Now press a key to begin...")
wait {
ClearScreen
}
}
}
}
}
}
}
}
}

...I start up the game, get the request for inputting a name, and if I type, nothing happens! No command bar, no text entered, typing and pressing enter does nothing, the game just *doesn't progress.* It doesn't seem to receive input. What do I do?

HegemonKhan
I don't know Gamebook version that well, but it probably doesn't have a command bar, as it sounds like it doesn't, lol. (too lazy to start up a Gamebook game to see)

you might want to just use the Text Adventure version, as Gamebook is much more limited in what you can do with it.

Though, using a hybrid (a Text Adventure set up to work like a Gamebook), made by (thanks to) Pixie, is probably what you want:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4772

you can try:

http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/ ... quest.html

request (Show, "Command")

------

also in your code, you got one spot with the '==', this isn't needed in quest, as Alex coded the quest engine to be able to use just '=' for (parsing) both such cases ( '=' and '==' ), so you also just use the '=' in quest.

----

in Gamebook version there are only two types of Objects:

'pageX' Page Objects and the special 'game' Game Object

there are NO Player Objects in the Gamebook version, such as the default 'player' Player Object that is in the Text Adventure. So, you can't use 'player' for your Object in Gamebook mode, use instead:

game.Attribute_name = Value_or_Expression

--------

P.S.

to use the code box tag for your posts content (such as game code or just long text walls, lol):

(this is really good for game code, as the code box will keep your indentation~nesting too)

[code.](your code, or a mass of text walls lol)[/code.]

but without the dots~periods in the brackets, which will produce this:

(your code, or a mass of text walls lol)

Silver
You can't use scripts meant for text adventure mode in gamebook mode afaict. The best thing to do is use text adventure mode And make it look and act like a game book.

Pertex
Of course you can input text in gamebook mode. Just use
 GetInput() {

instead of
get input {