Quest 5.6 Beta

Alex
Quest 5.6 Beta is now available. Only a small release really - mostly bug fixes, but I've also updated various components including the embedded Chromium browser.

https://github.com/textadventures/quest ... /v5.6-beta

Silver
Yes!!!!! I'm bang on it.

Silver
Where do we report bugs for this? I can't make any typed inputs but it does acknowledge link clicks.

Silver
That's loading in a 5.5 (.aslx) game.

Alex
What, as in you can't type anything? Is that in all games?

Silver
It was just the one I'm working on. I'll try others later.

Silver
...which I've been messing about with so it's probably some error I've caused.

Silver
I just downloaded Whitefield Academy of Witchcraft and the same thing happened: the parser wouldn't let me input any keystrokes. Can anyone else test this to confirm it as a bug? I have no idea what it might be if it's specific to me.

Alex
Stupid question but you do have the "Type here..." box selected don't you? Do you see a flashing cursor?

Also what version of Windows are you using?

Silver
Yes there's a flashing cursor (the cursor has been modified in my game hence me testing it with WAoW too) and I'm using Windows 8.1.

Alex
In WAoW, if you hit the Tab key, does that move the focus around? (It should toggle between the textbox and the enabled compass directions).

Silver
No that elicited no response too. Interestingly though, ctrl alt F does make it go full screen.

Alex
Does Chrome itself work properly on your machine when you play a game online?

Do you have all the latest Windows updates applied, including .net framework updates?

Silver
This is in the 5.6 beta windows app - not online. I'm not having any problems online. I've just downloaded 5.5 again and that works fine. I'm not sure about the last bit, don't those updates happen automatically? How do I check?

Silver
I should add that yes, I do use Chrome.

Silver
I'm updating now (including .net framework) so I'll see if that fixes anything.

Silver
Updating hasn't fixed anything. Has anyone else tried? I can try on my other PC (Windows 7) but that'll be next weekend.

Alex
I can't reproduce a problem on my Windows 8.1 VM, an actual Windows 8.1 machine, or on a clean Windows 8.1 VM.

However in testing the clean VM I did notice that there are some missing dependencies, which should be included in the Quest setup. Maybe these are out of date on your system or something - could you go to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=30679 and install VSU_4\vcredist_x86.exe?

Silver
Okay, done that and the issue is still there. If the problem doesn't exist on my other PC then I may have to do a clean reinstall on this one - which I've been putting off for ages.

The Pixie
Only looked quickly, but I can type in stuff okay on a Windows 7 PC, and a Wins 8.1 PC.

Silver
I've had Malware for ages on my 8.1 machine which I sort of ignored by just installing Malwarebytes and putting up with the warning messages. I can't rule out that it's done some mischief on a system level though; this is the first time something hasn't worked. So I'll reinstall. It's the fact I'll have to re-install and update Komplete 9 Ultimate that has resulted in me dragging my heels. It's a time sink.

Silver
In case you missed it on the other thread Alex, apparently the latest Chromium doesn't offer support for mp3 (if triggered by html5). Who on earth compresses to ogg?

Silver
Both Soundforge and Audacity can render to .ogg

Jolly Good.

Edit: wrong thread!

Silver
I finally got to the bottom of this. After doing a full re-install the parser still wasn't responding. The thing is, I often can't be bothered sitting at my PC and just access it remotely. I've just discovered that Quest isn't happy unless it's been clicked with a mouse - even though me clicking the screen on my tablet performs the same thing. And that isn't the case with 5.5 so I don't know why 5.6 would be different. So anyway, for anyone interested.

It's quite annoying though as it means i won't be able to edit my game when I'm on the train. Does it start up as not the activated screen or something? Is there a command that does what clicking it would?

Silver
Ignore that I've managed to make it respond remotely now too.

Silver
Or with WAoW I could but not my game. Anyway, it's a problem only for a very niche way in which I use my PC. I can still edit my game remotely just not test it in the offline browser. Which I can live with I guess.

Edit: ignore again. Sorry.

The Pixie
I appreciate this is out of beta, but have a possible issue. It seems as though Quest 5.6 caches libraries now. If you have a custom library, and edit it, the changes are not seen in the Quest editor. If you go into play for your game, then that works fine - the modified library is loaded. Go back to edit, and you revert to the cached version. This can be seen by turning on Show Library Elements, and comparing the code in Quest to the actual library. Where this is a big problem is that if you publish your game, it uses the cached version of the library, not the up-to-date one, which can lead to some confusion...

Alex
This has always been the case. You need to reload the editor to get it to pick up changes in included libraries.

Quest watches for changes made to the main .aslx file (and shows you a yellow banner if it gets changed externally), but it doesn't monitor changes to included libraries and never has. It would be a worthwhile feature if someone wants to have a go at adding it.

The Pixie
Oh, okay. I would have guessed I would have run in to it before.

Silver
Couldn't you delete the library, rename it, then add it again? A pain, I know.

The Pixie
It will reload if you close Quest and reopen it.

Silver
Ah ok. Cheers.