Please help -- object not transferring to inventory

missrithenay
I am almost done a game I've been trying to design for my social studies class, but there is an object -- the "seal of Abduco" -- that will not move to the player's inventory. I've been over and over it and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. The order of events should go:

If the player is carrying object paper
Give paper to dwarf
Print message
Add item seal of Abduco to inventory

But, it doesn't, and the game can't be finished without that object. Any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you. (Game is attached with walkthrough up to point where item should transfer to inventory).

Silver
shouldn't it be:
if player is carrying object paper
then
move object paper to object dwarf
move object seal of Abducto to object player
print: you have the seal of Abducto (or whatever)

Silver
In a script.

Silver
You need to put that script in a command of some sort too. You need to highlight the ask/tell thing in an objects attributes iirc to set up give object to dwarf or set up a command doing the same then run the script suggestion.

missrithenay
Photo attached -- this is what I've done with all the other objects and they worked all right.
script.png

Silver
Like this.... (I think)

OurJud
I'm not familiar with the 'add to inventory' rule, or even how it differs from 'move [object] to player'

If you 'move [object] to player' it should add it to the player's inventory anyway.

Worth a try.

missrithenay
Nope :( I ran it through, and it still doesn't move the seal to the inventory. I appreciate the effort, though.

OurJud, I tried that, too. I've tried it both ways.

Silver
The problem - I think - is that the seal of Abducto is situated in the walkthrough directory for some reason. You need to create it as an object in the game. You can even create a meaningless room to put it in until it's needed.

missrithenay
There is a walkthrough called that, but the seal of abduco is also an object in the "room of bylaws". When I put in "move object to inventory," it does come up as an option. Unless I'm misunderstanding you?

Silver
Oh ok, found it now. You haven't got it set as either visible or scenery in the object setup. I think one of those boxes needs to be ticked (scenery if you don't want the player to see it until it goes in their inventory).

The Pixie
The seal is set to be invisible, so when you get it, it does not appear in the inventory. Tick the Visible box on its Setup tab, and it should work fine.

The Pixie
Ah you beat me too. I thought it might be the walkthough too at first.

Silver
It's funny that I thought it was a coding problem rather than something simple lol.

missrithenay
Oh for... I have no idea how that even happened.

Thank you :D

OurJud
missrithenay wrote:Oh for... I have no idea how that even happened.

Thank you :D

Fixing a bug is a great feeling, innit? :D

I've had lots of them, and 99% of them were resolved by the folks here :)