Need help creating my first game.

Keinname
Hello there!

I were looking for a way to tell a story, and finally found it in Quest!
But, as you might guess, im a total newbie and i don't know how to implement the features i want.
I'm very thankfull for any help i can get.
What i want to make is something like a dark PMD (Pokemon Mysteru Dungeon) IF.
I write down the features i want to have in my game in a list, to make it easier to read (just please dont feel that i'm ordering you to help me)

*I don't have a clue how to even make the beginning character creation - The player name input, choosing the gender, and most imporantly- how to choose the pokemon the player wants to be from a button list.

*About exploring the world and events, i want some pokemon have terrain abilites (swim/dive, climb, and fly), [but they will propably fall into the "add commands" category.]

*And the most imporant: Combat.
How do i add a combat system that uses the HP,ATK,DEF,Sp.A,Sp.D,SPEED and STAMINA (instead of PP) stats, how can i make the player gain exp and levels, and how do i make him lear new moves by level up?
The moves use a certain amount of stamina and are activated by typing the in as a command ["use pound", for example]
If you need, i can give you additional details, like the damage formula etc.

*It would be also nice if i can make the game permanently display a status window with status contidions, stats, and HP,STAM bars. Or, simpler, show all this with the "status" command

I know im asking for a lot, but, again, i'm thankfull for any help i can get.

Silver
Try this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4886

jaynabonne
To be (possibly too) brief:

- To enter a name, use "get input".
- To choose a gender, use "show menu".
- Button lists are more tricky. I'd say, get something started, and then come back with fuller description if you want help. I'm not 100% sure what a "button list" is, but you should be able to do it either with hyperlinks or HTML controls.
- Quest supports a status pane. This link might give you a start: http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/ ... butes.html

I'd say, be sure to check all the documentation. Do searches and see if you can find what you need. A lot of this has been done before.

As a tangent, it's interesting to me that people creating new games always seem to want to ask the player their gender... Unless you're going to give them a player image or otherwise refer to it later, consider whether it's something irrelevant that you can skip. If you'll never refer to it again, you don't need to go through the coding of getting it in place or the task of the player actually answering it. (I'd say the same for their name, too. If you will refer to it later, then fine. If all they see after they enter it is "Welcome, <yournamehere>", then it might be best left off. Just busy work for all.)

Keinname
Thank's so far!

I've already tried the Quest RPG thread, played it for a bit, looked at the files in Quest, but i could't extract any info from it, i don't have a clue where he put that code for naming the character etc.

By "button list", i mean a few buttons that the player can click, unless it should be done all by command in an IF.

About the gender, i think most people just ask that because it's standerd. I wanted to aks it for the case that the player will overhear a conversation about him, but you're right: it's of no need to do that extra efford.
And, because i don't want to give 20000000% brain- and learnpower to implement an working partner who fight based on AI (standard for PMD),
nor anything similar, i will focus the story on
"Congratulation, you got turned into a pokemon and thrown into a world inhabited only by pokemon and other who met the same fate as you did! But don't get you hopes up - the others are behaving like wild animals or gladiators. Have fun with this "Death Game""
-so no one will ask for a name anyway, sooooooooo i skip that name too.

I'll post another reply soon, when i get more of this done. Thank's again!

HegemonKhan
you're asking a lot of RPG aspects, which are often very complex coding designs, thus not really things that noobs to quest and~or especially coding, should jump into trying to do.

first, you should go through the entire tutorial first:

http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/tutorial/

then study the wiki resource guides:

http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/guides/
http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/ ... ation.html (this is a good next step after you've gone through the tutorial)
viewforum.php?f=18

and then from there, search the forum for the more advanced things

(you might want to search for posts by me, as I'm posting about a lot of these RPG aspects and linking to other posts about RPG aspects too, quite often)

I can help you further (more links for more stuff), but this is a good starting point for you, with a lot for you to do, hehe :D

Marzipan
HegemonKhan wrote:you're asking a lot of RPG aspects, which are often very complex coding designs, thus not really things that noobs to quest and~or especially coding, should jump into trying to do.

Listen to this man's advice, he knows what he's talking about. :)

@Keinname, it's great that you're so enthusiastic about this, but I really think you need to take a step back and learn the basics before you jump in over your head. Play some games on the site, then do the tutorial and make a simple game just to learn the ropes. What you're trying to do now is only going to lead to frustration.

jaynabonne
The other approach is to take your large project in small bites. You had some with inputting a name and asking for gender. Even though you won't be doing those, they were small tasks that would give you experience with Quest. If you can find small pieces of this larger game you want to work on, you can learn Quest as you work toward your goal. And it can be easier to learn when you're working on something that matters to you.

My belief is you never know until you try. (And I'm not a big one for "can't" up front. That's just me.) Just remember you're starting out with something new, keep your expectations reasonable - it won't be done tomorrow or even next week - and most of all: learn and have fun!

(And ask questions if you get stuck. Many common things are easy to do in Quest, but once you step off that path, it's not so obvious. Others have made some of the steps you will be making, and you might as well not struggle with something that others have figured out.:) )

So now you have both sides of the opinion spectrum. lol

Keinname
Wow, thanks for all that support!
But right now, i can't really work on this - too busy laerning.
I also might move to making an animation later on instead - if that will be the case, then im sorry i wasted you time here.

Silver
If you think interactive fiction is a long and laborious process before getting results you're gonna love animation.