'Use' on object and/or room/exit

OurJud
I don't know if it's just me trying to make Quest do something it doesn't want to do, or if I'm confusing the poor thing, but I'm going mental here trying to get something to work.

All I want to do is have an elevator/lift, for which the verbs 'go' AND 'use' will trigger the same sequence.

If I have the elevator set as a room, I cannot use 'use'. If I have it set to an object, I cannot use 'go'. If I have it set to both, I still cannot use 'go'.

The problem is, I really could do with both verbs being accepted, as the player would conceivably use either, and may not consider the other. Logic suggests 'use', but I want to allow for both.

HK's code in the other thread successfully allowed the use of 'use', but took away the use of 'go' in the process, as all the code did was set the elevator as an object.

HegemonKhan
Unless there's an easier solution (I don't think there is, as you're going to over-write or have conflict if don't, between the default 'go' usage functionality, and your 'use elevator' alternative pattern, bare with me on this as it's bad logic grammer, of 'go elevator' ), I think he best or only solution is to have your 'use' for the 'elevator' as an Object, and then script~ in for the 'go' functionality to do what you want: take you to the same room as the 'use elevator', while appearing to the person playing the game, that they're using the 'elevator' Object, just as they would be with 'use elevator', while it's not really code-wise doing so, but that doesn't matter, of course.

(I'll see if I can edit my code for this to work for you, when I got the time, of course, due to real life busy-ness of working and everything else, sighs)

OurJud
Yes, I shall just revert to TP's solution and create two elevators, one as a room, the other as an object, and have them do the same thing.

HegemonKhan
you wouldn't need to have an 'elevator' Room Object, as you'd handle that via the scripting (giving the illusion of being 'in' the 'elevator' Object, and using 'it' to 'goto' the desired room destination).

jaynabonne
Please excuse me if I'm getting lost in the threads, but based on the time these were posted, does that mean the command I suggested in the other thread didn't work?

OurJud
jaynabonne wrote:Please excuse me if I'm getting lost in the threads, but based on the time these were posted, does that mean the command I suggested in the other thread didn't work?

No, it worked beautifully, Jay.

I must confess I'm getting a trifle embarrassed about the number of threads I'm starting and am trying to use existing ones to ask other questions.