Use, Go, Objects, Verbs, Commands - Utterly confused.

OurJud
I'm losing my tiny mind here!!

In my apartment lounge I have a personal lift that gives access to the outside world. Initially this took the player to a ground lobby with an external door leading to the outside world. From this lobby I wanted the player to be able to use the lift (if he wanted to return to the apartment for any reason) or exit to the street outside. This became an absolute nightmare to get working, so I scrapped the lobby and just had the lift open up right onto the street when it reached the ground.

Since making these changes my game will no longer accept certain inputs.

From my apartment, the command "Use elevator" used to trigger the desired sequence, but now this gets the response "I can't see that."

My game also used to understand "Use lift" (for the UK players), but this now gets the same response ("I can't see that")

Just to confuse matters, it DOES understand "go lift", but NOT "go elevator". In other words, the only command from inside my apartment that allows the use of the elevator is "go lift".

Now... once outside the apartment (having used "go lift") to get there. I have an exit called 'elevator2'. This takes you back to your apartment, but the only command it will accept is 'go elevator'.

Why does the game understand "lift" from my apartment, but not from outside? And why will it no longer accept the verb 'use' ? I tried setting the elevator rooms to 'object and/or room' in order to activate the use function, but this made no difference.

I have the alias for both 'elevator' and 'elevator2' set as "lift".

OurJud
Additional:

"enter lift" from my apartment works, but "enter elevator" does not.

From outside, "enter elevator" works, as does "go elevator", while neither "enter lift" nor "go lift" will.

So to reiterate, the game understands the word "lift" when inside my apartment, but not when outside, and "use' no longer works for lift use at all, where it did before.

Silver
If you have called one 'elevator2' and given it the alias 'lift' it won't understand it if you type 'use elevator' because it wants you to type 'use elevator2' - I suspect.

Pertex
Go to the Object tab of your elevator and add other names. If 'lift' is the alias, add 'elevator' as other name

OurJud
Elevator and elevator 2 are rooms. If I add names to the object tab, it just adds them as additional objects within the lift.

If I have given both the elevator and elevator2 rooms an alias of 'lift', why will it not understand 'lift' when I'm outside trying to use elevator 2?

And why can I no longer use the prefix 'use' when I could before?

jaynabonne
It's *really* hard to be able to work out what's wrong without seeing the code. It could be something you've described, or it could be something you don't realized changed that is giving you grief. Without being able to see all the pieces and how they're interacting, it's almost impossible to know.

As a thought, you can't type "go lift" for a room called lift. You can for exits. Have you lost some exits in your restructuring? Have they lost their aliases? Could it be something else altogether?

OurJud
jaynabonne wrote:Have you lost some exits in your restructuring? Have they lost their aliases? Could it be something else altogether?

All of the above, quite possibly :D

I find it very difficult to see the woods for the trees when designing these games.

How would I send you the game so you can see my code and help you better understand. You'll probably find I've gone about things in a VERY odd fashion, but it;s the only way I know how.

jaynabonne
I think you should be able to attach it here. You need to go to Full Editor & Preview to do it, There will be an Attachments tab at the bottom. (You can always zip it if it won't take the .aslx file. Sometimes it does, but it didn't for me the other day.)

HegemonKhan
as Jay said, we'd need to see your full game coding, to find the issue(s) for your lift~elevator, but here's some links for you:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3212 (look at this, Jay has already coded in an Elevator~Lift for you, lol)
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2649 (look at this, to get some ideas)
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2817

another possible issue:

things are also ID'ed by their TYPES (Attribute Types: Strings, Integers, Doubles, Booleans, Objects, Scripts, Lists, Dictionaries, Object Types, etc, and Element Types: Verbs, Commands, Objects, Functions, Exits, etc):

for example:

String Type Attribute:

player.strength_string = "5"

Integer Type Attribute:
player.strength_integer = 5

x = player.strength_string + player.strength_integer
ERROR! 'string~or unknown-object' doesn't match up with 'int32'

quest~computers, and humans too, can't math-add a STRING Value and an INTEGER Value together, not logical, not possible:

what's (math-adding sum of) A+5=?, um... um... there is no math-sum answer!

--------

so, back on topic, thus a usual error that occurs is with Object 'ALIASES' and "NAMES (IDs)', as for example:

Object.name = orc_1
Object.alias = orc

the person playing the game would see 'orc', and try to use that such as in~for a command line typed-in input:

fight orc

so, quest looks for an Object... *NAMED* ... as 'orc', which there isn't one (there's an 'orc_1', but not an 'orc' ), and thus it returns an error or 'null Object' message.

Which, Pertex created a error exception handling code for it:

taken from my (Pertex' Code Combat Structure) Combat Code:

enemy = GetObject (text)
if (enemy = null) {
foreach (object_x, AllObjects() ) {
if (object_x.alias=text) {
enemy = object_x
}
}
}
if (enemy = null) {
msg ("Wrong input, try again.")
} else {
// my fight scripts
}

-----------------------------

(if you want your game~source code to remain private, than pm it to us)

other method:

simply open up your game's coding, two ways to do it:

1. simply open up your *.aslx Game File with notepad, wordpad, or notepad++
2. in the GUI~Editor, at the bar at the top of the screen, click on the notepaper like button, between the 'play' and '?-help' buttons

once you see your entire game code:

highlight all of it (ctrl+A)
copy it (ctrl+C)

and then paste it (ctrl+V) here (as a post), using this code tag within your post:

[code.](paste your entire mass of game code here)[/code.]

but without the dots~periods in the brackets, which should produce this:

(paste your entire mass of game code here)

OurJud
HegemonKhan wrote:other method:

simply open up your game's coding, two ways to do it:

1. simply open up your *.aslx Game File with notepad, wordpad, or notepad++
2. in the GUI~Editor, at the bar at the top of the screen, click on the notepaper like button, between the 'play' and '?-help' buttons

once you see your entire game code:

highlight all of it (ctrl+A)
copy it (ctrl+C)

and then paste it (ctrl+V) here (as a post), using this code tag within your post:

[code.](paste your entire mass of game code here)[/code.]

but without the dots~periods in the brackets, which should produce this:

(paste your entire mass of game code here)

This sounds easier. Hang fire.

OurJud
Just in case you decide to load this into your test game and run it so that you can see the problems in action, movement is controlled with "go [location name]". I think 'enter' works too, but I'm not sure.

<!--Saved by Quest 5.5.5328.26617-->
<asl version="550">
<include ref="English.aslx" />
<include ref="Core.aslx" />
<include ref="dimsome.aslx" />
<include ref="ConvLib.aslx" />
<game name="cloud9">
<gameid>e55fa912-0986-479b-a1c1-bdd07ab89b48</gameid>
<version>1.0</version>
<firstpublished>2014</firstpublished>
<css><![CDATA[

<style type="text/css">
div#txtCommandDiv {
border:0;
background: no-repeat;
font-size:10pt;
font-family:'Trebuchet MS', Helvetica, sans-serif;

}
input#txtCommand {
outline:none;
border:0;
font-size:10px;
margin:0;
padding:0;
max-width: 1000px;
}

</style>

]]></css>
<showtitle type="boolean">false</showtitle>
<enablehyperlinks type="boolean">false</enablehyperlinks>
<defaultfontsize type="int">10</defaultfontsize>
<setbackgroundopacity />
<backgroundopacity type="double">1</backgroundopacity>
<showpanes type="boolean">false</showpanes>
<showcommandbar />
<showlocation type="boolean">false</showlocation>
<showborder type="boolean">false</showborder>
<attr name="autodescription_youcansee" type="int">0</attr>
<attr name="autodescription_youcango" type="int">0</attr>
<attr name="autodescription_youarein_useprefix" type="boolean">false</attr>
<autodescription />
<setcustomwidth />
<customwidth type="int">1270</customwidth>
<setcustompadding />
<custompaddingright type="int">500</custompaddingright>
<custompaddingleft type="int">100</custompaddingleft>
<defaultfont>'Trebuchet MS', Helvetica, sans-serif</defaultfont>
<defaultwebfont>ABeeZee</defaultwebfont>
<defaultbackground>Black</defaultbackground>
<defaultforeground>LightGrey</defaultforeground>
<showdescriptiononenter />
<attr name="changeroom_newline" type="boolean">false</attr>
<attr name="autodescription_youarein" type="int">0</attr>
<cover>futurecity 2.jpg</cover>
<custompaddingbottom type="int">100</custompaddingbottom>
<echocommand />
<attr name="autodescription_youcango_newline" type="boolean">false</attr>
<appendobjectdescription type="boolean">false</appendobjectdescription>
<category>Sci-Fi</category>
<autodisplayverbs type="boolean">false</autodisplayverbs>
<start type="script">
</start>
<turnscript>
<enabled />
<script>
JS.eval ("$('div[id^=\"divOutputAlign\"]').css('opacity', '0.5');")
JS.eval ("getCurrentDiv().css('opacity', '1.0');")
</script>
</turnscript>
</game>
<verb name="wear">
<pattern>wear #object#</pattern>
<property>wear</property>
<defaulttemplate>DefaultWear</defaulttemplate>
</verb>
<command name="go">
<pattern type="string"><![CDATA[^enter (?<exit>.*)$|^go to (?<exit>.*)$|^go (?<exit>.*)$|^(?<exit>north|east|south|west|northeast|northwest|southeast|southwest|in|out|up|down|n|e|s|w|ne|nw|se|sw|o|u|d)$]]></pattern>
<unresolved>You can't go there.</unresolved>
<script>
if (exit.visible) {
if (exit.locked) {
msg (exit.lockmessage)
}
else if (exit.runscript) {
if (HasScript(exit, "script")) {
do (exit, "script")
}
}
else if (exit.lookonly) {
msg ("You can't go there.")
}
else {
game.pov.parent = exit.to
}
}
else {
msg ("You can't go there.")
}
</script>
</command>
<object name="intro">
<inherit name="editor_room" />
<description type="script"><![CDATA[
picture ("futurecity 3.jpg")
msg ("2145 and civilisation is not as it were. Cities are overcrowded and illegal narcotics rife. You can hardly blame these people, though – mind-drugs are just about their only escape from this hell-hole we call earth.<br/><br/>Most of the stuff out there is harmless enough; Virtual Dream Enhancers, Deep Sleepers, Instant Inebriates... but there's a new one on the market, and a particularity dangerous one at that. On the street, it goes by the name of Cloud9 - Trapemiumbenzodipotream if you want to get chemical. It's primary purpose is recreational, offering a euphoric high like nothing before, but the come-downs are devastating, triggering suicidal desires in many users, and unbridled aggression in others.<br/><br/>The enforcement department, such as they are, have turned a blind eye to the problem – no doubt paid off by the drugs developers, but there are many who want to see it gone for good.<br/><br/>One such man has good reason. He lost his daughter to the drug and is willing to pay good money to anyone who can bring the production of Cloud9 to a stop, by whatever means possible. He doesn't advertise the job, for obvious reasons, but he's heard of your record and reputation for getting jobs done.<br/><br/>A fee was agreed and you shook hands before going home to get a good night's sleep – probably your last for the foreseeable.<br/><br/>Stand by...")
SetTimeout (5) {
MoveObject (player, bedroom)
}
]]></description>
</object>
<object name="bedroom">
firsttime {
msg ("<br/><br/>The soft, female tones of your alarm clock drift into your subconcious. \"Good morning, sir, this is your eight am wake-up call.\"")
SetTimeout (3) {
msg ("<br/><br/>You throw back the covers with a groan, and climb out of bed.<br/><br/>An expanse of glass overlooks the darkened city below. You can't remember the last time you saw a clear sky.<br/><br/>A door leads to the bathroom while an archway gives access to the lounge area.")
}
}
otherwise {
if (GetBoolean(bedroom, "clothesgone")) {
msg ("Your bed lies unmade on the far wall.<br/><br/>A door leads to the bathroom while an archway gives access to the lounge area. ")
}
else {
msg ("Your bed lies unmade on the far wall. Last night's clothes are draped over a chair.<br/><br/>A door leads to the bathroom while an archway gives access to the lounge area. ")
SetObjectFlagOn (clothes, "clothesgone")
}
}
]]></description>
<enter type="script">
</enter>
<exit alias="lounge" to="lounge" />
<exit alias="bathroom" to="bathroom" />
<object name="bed">
<inherit name="editor_object" />
<drop type="boolean">false</drop>
<look>The bed is as wide as it is long. The ruffled sheets are a mixture of tasteful chocolate browns and beiges.</look>
<feature_usegive />
<climb type="string"></climb>
<lie>You climb on the bed and close your eyes.</lie>
<takemsg>It's bolted to the floor.</takemsg>
<use type="script">
msg ("You climb on the bed and close your eyes.")
</use>
</object>
<object name="clothes">
<take />
<scenery />
<look>A crumpled pair of black slacks, red shirt and a pair of suede shoes.</look>
<wear type="script">
if (GetBoolean(player, "clotheson")) {
msg ("You're already wearing the clothes.")
}
else {
msg ("You give the clothes a quick smell before shrugging and putting them on.")
SetObjectFlagOn (player, "clotheson")
}
</wear>
</object>
<object name="window">
<takemsg>If you do that, your room will collapse. Now stop being silly.</takemsg>
<look>You step up to the window and notice the grime on the outside of the glass. Below, the city streets are glistening, reflecting the many neons lining the sidewalks.</look>
</object>
</object>
<object name="lounge">
if (Got(gun)) {
if (Got(cellphone)) {
msg ("The lounge is large and open-plan. It's why you choose the apartment... that and the security of having your own, retina-scan operated elevator. It came at a price, but you had money... back then.<br/><br/>A kitchen lies at the far end. A door leads to your bedroom and an elevator gives access to the streets outside.<br/><br/>There is a smoked-glass coffee table here.")
}
else {
msg ("The lounge is large and open-plan. It's why you choose the apartment... that and the security of having your own, retina-scan operated elevator. It came at a price, but you had money... back then.<br/><br/>A kitchen lies at the far end. A door leads to your bedroom and an elevator gives access to the streets outside.<br/><br/>There is a smoked-glass coffee table on which sits a cellphone.")
}
}
else {
if (Got(cellphone)) {
msg ("The lounge is large and open-plan. It's why you choose the apartment... that and the security of having your own, retina-scan operated elevator. It came at a price, but you had money... back then.<br/><br/>A kitchen lies at the far end. A door leads to your bedroom and an elevator gives access to the streets outside.<br/><br/>There is a smoked-glass coffee table on which sits a gun.")
}
else {
msg ("The lounge is large and open-plan. It's why you choose the apartment... that and the security of having your own, retina-scan operated elevator. It came at a price, but you had money... back then.<br/><br/>A kitchen lies at the far end. A door leads to your bedroom and an elevator gives access to the streets outside.<br/><br/>There is a smoked-glass coffee table on which sits a gun and a cellphone.")
}
}
]]></description>
<onexit type="script">
</onexit>
<enter type="script">
</enter>
<exit to="bedroom" />
<exit to="kitchen" />
<object name="gun">
<look>An Oracle Snubnose. Discreet, but packs a mighty whallop.</look>
<take />
<takemsg>You grab the gun and slip into your trouser waist.</takemsg>
<feature_usegive />
<fire type="string"></fire>
<dropmsg>You think better and decide to keep hold of it for now.</dropmsg>
<use type="script">
msg ("You fire the pistol and gunshot noise fills the air.")
</use>
</object>
<object name="cellphone">
<inherit name="switchable" />
<look>A Pear ePhone 6 in black.</look>
<take />
<takemsg>You grab the phone and drop it into your pocket.</takemsg>
<feature_usegive />
<feature_switchable />
<dropmsg>You think better and decide to keep hold of it for now.</dropmsg>
<onswitchon type="script">
</onswitchon>
<onswitchoff type="script">
</onswitchoff>
</object>
<object name="player">
<inherit name="editor_player" />
</object>
<exit alias="lift" to="elevator">
<scenery type="boolean">false</scenery>
</exit>
</object>
<object name="bathroom">
<description><![CDATA[As you enter the bathroom the ceiling panel lights buzz and flicker into life . You inspect your reflection, rubbing at the stuble on your face and contemplating a shave.<br/><br/>A razor sits on the small glass shelf beneath the mirror.<br/><br/>To your right is the toilet, and to your left a wet-room.]]></description>
<object name="razor">
<take />
<takemsg>You pick it up and check the blades. Looks clean enough.</takemsg>
<dropmsg>You place the razor back on the shelf.</dropmsg>
<look>It's a simple three-bladed razor and looks relatively new.</look>
<alt type="stringlist" />
<feature_usegive />
<use type="script"><![CDATA[
msg ("You lather your face with shaving cream and begin scraping away at the three-day stubble.<br/><br/>Five minutes later and clean shaven, you feel remarkable refreshed.")
]]></use>
</object>
<object name="toilet">
<look>Nothing out of the ordinary here - just a bog-standard bog.</look>
<takemsg>It's bolted to the floor</takemsg>
<feature_usegive />
<sit>It's not the most comfortable place to sit.</sit>
<use type="script">
if (GetBoolean(player, "boguse")) {
msg ("You've already been.")
}
else {
msg ("You approach the toilet and pull out your member. The flow comes easily and you sigh as you feel your bladder emptying.")
SetObjectFlagOn (player, "boguse")
}
</use>
</object>
<object name="wetroom">
<look>The wetroom takes up half the bathroom space, and it's a big bathroom.</look>
<takemsg>Don't be silly.</takemsg>
<feature_usegive />
<alt type="stringlist">
<value>shower</value>
</alt>
if (GetBoolean(player, "hadshower")) {
msg ("You've already showered.")
}
else {
msg ("You turn on the shower and step under the steaming jet of water coming from the multiple heads. You wash away last night's filth, standing with your head bowed. The sensation of the water cascading over your face is wonderful.<br/><br/>Ten minutes later you step out and begin patting yourself dry with a towel.")
SetObjectFlagOn (player, "hadshower")
}
]]></use>
</object>
<exit alias="bedroom" to="bedroom" />
</object>
<verb name="dress">
<property>dress</property>
<pattern>dress #object#</pattern>
<defaultexpression>"You can't dress " + object.article + "."</defaultexpression>
<defaulttemplate>DefaultDress</defaulttemplate>
</verb>
<object name="kitchen">
<description><![CDATA[A seldom used place, at least for cooking, evident by the pristine hob in the work surface. The lounge is situated at the opposite end and an elevator in the wall to you left leads to the streets outside.<br/><br/>A silver fridge sits at one end.]]></description>
<object name="fridge">
<inherit name="openable" />
<look>Nothing special. Its the same fridge you've had for the last four years.</look>
<attr name="feature_usegive" type="boolean">false</attr>
<feature_container />
<use type="script">
msg ("The smell of something long past its sell-by date rushes your nostrils. You recoil and close the door.")
</use>
<openscript type="script">
msg ("The stench of something long past its sell-by day invades your nostrils. You recoil and close the door.")
</openscript>
</object>
<object name="hob">
<inherit name="switchable" />
<look>It's a hob, unused.</look>
<feature_switchable />
<switchonmsg>The hob is now on.</switchonmsg>
<switchoffmsg>The hob is off.</switchoffmsg>
</object>
<exit to="lounge" />
<exit alias="lift" />
</object>
<object name="outside">
firsttime {
msg ("As the elevator doors open and you step out into the street for the first time that day, an overwhelming sense of misery hits you. It's been raining again and dirty puddles have collected where ever you want to step. Rubbish seems to be everywhere you look; empty food cartons, cigarette packets, bottles... the sanitory droids must still be in maintainence.<br/><br/>Food stalls line the whole length of the street and you can't walk five paces without banging shoulders with someone. You remember the first time you moved here, constantly apologising and exscusing yourself for every little bump and collision. Not any more, and especially not today.<br/><br/>You eventually find an unoccupide side-street and stop for a cigarette while you consider your options.<br/><br/>Over on the east block is Dawsons - the electronics company owned by your employer, the man who lost his daughtert to Cloud9 and who's paying you a large sum of money to bring the developers of the drug to justice. You've discussed the contract and conditions already, but maybe there's more he can tell you about his daughter.<br/><br/>And then there's the users themselves, of course, over to the west side of town, where few dare to venture.")
}
otherwise {
msg ("Food stalls line the street and people are milling about everywhere. Dawsons Electronics lies to the east. West will take you to the slums.")
}
]]></description>
<alias>street</alias>
<object name="retscan">
<alias>scanner</alias>
<alt type="stringlist">
<value>retina scanner</value>
<value>retina check</value>
<value>retina scan</value>
</alt>
<unlock type="string"></unlock>
<feature_usegive />
firsttime {
msg ("You approach the scanner and rest your head againsts the rubber surround. A soft red light pans across your eyes and emits a high-piched bleep.")
UnlockExit (retscanopen)
}
otherwise {
msg ("You rest your head againsts the rubber surround and wait for the beep.<br/><br/>The lift doors open and you step inside.")
MoveObject (player, elevator2)
}
]]></use>
</object>
<exit alias="dawsons" to="dawsons">
<inherit name="eastdirection" />
</exit>
<exit alias="slums" to="the slums">
<inherit name="westdirection" />
</exit>
</object>
<verb name="fire">
<property>fire</property>
<pattern>fire #object#</pattern>
<defaultexpression type="string"></defaultexpression>
</verb>
<object name="elevator">
msg ("Going down.<br/><br/>Please wait...<br/>")
SetTimeout (4) {
MoveObject (player, outside)
}
]]></description>
<alias>lift</alias>
<use type="script">
msg ("Going down...")
MoveObject (player, outside)
</use>
<open />
<feature_usegive />
<exit to="outside" />
</object>
<object name="elevator2">
msg ("Going up.<br/><br/>Please wait...<br/>")
SetTimeout (4) {
MoveObject (player, lounge)
}
]]></description>
<alias>lift</alias>
<use type="script">
msg ("Going up...")
MoveObject (player, lounge)
</use>
<open />
<feature_usegive />
<exit alias="lift" to="lounge" />
</object>
<object name="dawsons">
<description>Dawson Electronics</description>
<alias>dawsons</alias>
</object>
<object name="the slums">
<description>The Slums</description>
<alias>slums</alias>
</object>
<function name="InitUserInterface"><![CDATA[
JS.eval ("$('#txtCommandDiv').prepend('&gt;&nbsp;')")
request (SetInterfaceString, "TypeHereLabel=")
OutputTextNoBr (game.css)
]]></function>
</asl>

jaynabonne
In your "lounge" room, go to the exit named "elevator" and change its alias from "lift" to "lift; elevator". That will give it both names as aliases.

jaynabonne
You also don't seem to have an exit leading to elevator2 (from outside maybe?). Perhaps that got lost?

OurJud
Oh, never knew you could include more than one alias. That's very handy to know.

As for the no exit to elevator2, I removed it because the first time you go outside, I give quite a detailed description and lead into the story, in which I take you away from the entrance to the apartment.

Thinking about it, I really need to put that exit back in, don't I? Thing is it's only needed on subsequent visits to 'outside'.

Holy smoke I do complicate things for myself.

jaynabonne

Oh, never knew you could include more than one alias. That's very handy to know.

I didn't either. I just tried it myself. :)