Notebook use and real time clock

OurJud
Would it possible to include an 'open notebook' command, which would act as kind of inventory, in which you've recorded names, codes, etc, that could be triggered at any point in the game?

Let's say right at the start of the game you type 'open notebook'. I would like the response to be something like "Plenty of old notes and scribbles, but nothing relevant from this case."

But then as you progress through the game, having been given names, codes, objects... 'Open notebook' would then simply act as an inventory and list anything I've decided needs to be recorded?

Secondly, could real time be incorporated? You start the game and type, "time', this prints the response (for instance) 15:00. Twenty minutes later (in real time) you type the same command and the message, 15:20 is printed. Could that be done?

Silver
I'd advise against the use of real time. Unless of course you're prepared to put in the effort to alter all the descriptions to correspond with all the different times as they happen.

OurJud
Ahh, yes. I hadn't considered that.

It's no biggy, anyway. Thanks.

Silver
The same problem occurs with putting times of the day in descriptions without utilising time.

"You walk across the valley as dusk slowly creeps overhead..."

Several game hours later and the sun is still just setting in that location. :D

OurJud
Yes... you have to think about these things, but they're the type of thing I would easily overlook, as I like to try and create lots of atmosphere in my descriptions. I suppose you could use an 'if player has visited' script to change the weather/time of day to something neutral for each subsequent visit.

Silver
You could. If you kept locations to a minimum it wouldn't be as much of a headache.

HegemonKhan
here are some libraries:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2580&hilit=clock (clock~time~date)
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2610&hilit=journal (journal~diary~recording things)
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3515&start=15&hilit=sora%27s+stackable+library (item stacking)

enjoy :D

The Pixie
OurJud wrote:Yes... you have to think about these things, but they're the type of thing I would easily overlook, as I like to try and create lots of atmosphere in my descriptions. I suppose you could use an 'if player has visited' script to change the weather/time of day to something neutral for each subsequent visit.

Or have a world state that evolves over the course of the game, perhaps as the player first visits certain rooms. At first it is raining, then the rain turns to drizzle, then stops, then the sun comes out, then there is a sunset, then it is dark, then the sky is lit up by the flying saucers' bombardment. The descriptions for all you external locations then change, depending on the world state. It would be a lot of effort, especially if you have a lot of external locations, but it would add to the atmosphere.

OurJud
As this thread seems to have steered towards the time aspect of things (thank you everyone), I'd like to come back to the notebook element of my OP?

As my player progresses, he will pick up info that he will need later to solve puzzles (codes, names, etc)

I'm not really looking to do that right now, so detailed tutorials aren't necessary, but I would like to learn if what I want to do is feasible, and more importantly, not over-complicated.

So, my player finds a scrap of paper with a six-digit code... or he talks to someone who gives him a name... or he sees a billboard with a company's name on it... anyway, you get the idea.

Now let's presume the player doesn't physically make a note of these things (in the real world). Is there anyway I could implement a notebook/reference system that would allow him to bring up this information with a command, at any point in the game. I'm thinking along the lines of an inventory, but in that he won't be able to 'get' some of the clues, such as names and the like, I'm not sure if it could be achieved.

A example scenario would play out as follows:

Player types: look notebook at the start of the game. The response is: Nothing here

In the next room he talks to a man who gives him a name (John Smith (given via conversation)).

Then three room later he sees a code scribbled on a wall (334221)

Player types: look notebook and gets the response: John Smith, 334221

Doable??

The Pixie
Try this:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2610&p=24097&hilit=journal

OurJud
The Pixie wrote:Try this:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2610&p=24097&hilit=journal

Thanks, TP, but I only know how to use the UI. I honestly wouldn't know where to start with all that. It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

HegemonKhan
sighs, my post (up a few posts) with 3 links got missed... it has Pixie's journal library link in it.

Pixie can help you with it, he~she is the creator of the Journal Library (most Libraries are Pixie's, lol).

OurJud
HegemonKhan wrote:sighs, my post (up a few posts) with 3 links got missed... it has Pixie's journal library link in it.

But it's more coding, HK.

However, when I was looking through the scripts earlier (for a smoking sequence) I noticed there's an 'Add to inventory' option. This does pretty much what I wanted. I can type 'i' at any point and it will list any object I've scripted to be added to the inventory on 'get'.

Speaking of which, would there be any way to change the default prefix from "You are carrying [list of objects]" to "You open the notebook - [list of objects]"

jaynabonne
There is a template called "CarryingListHeader". To edit it, click "Filter" in the bottom left, under the left pane. Then select "Show Library Elements".

Under "Advanced", you'll find "Templates". Expand that and then search for CarryingListHeader (they aren't alphabetical).

When you find it. select it. Then in the top right corner of the screen, there will be a Copy button. Click that to bring the template into your game. Then you can edit the text to what you wish.

OurJud
Thanks, Jay :)

God I love the depth of customisation this software allows.