Adding verbs

OurJud
I think the youtube tutorial I've been watching is for an older vserion, as I can't follow his instructions for adding verbs. This is the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW9EQDn ... 04663EE7A2

How do I add different verbs for objects. I just built a very simple safe and key puzzle, and on the safe I created an 'if/if not' script. The only verb showing is 'unlock', but when I try to add other verbs, in case my player chooses a different term like 'open' I get an error saying it will clash with 'unlock'.

So how I add more verbs to include other terms the player may use?

Silver
you can't add verbs that already exist in the core code. So 'open' (you picked a bad one there) is out. But to add verbs you have a tab in the object that does that. And if many verbs have the same outcome you create a function.

Have you bothered doing the tutorial yet? lol

Silver
I should have added that verbs that are for the entire game rather than object specific you create a command.

HegemonKhan
Silver accidentally typo~reversed it:

Commands are global, Verbs are attached to specific Objects (local)

A Verb is actually a Command 'under the code seams', but it's an adjusted sub-command to only apply to specific~individual Objects, using the hyperlinks and~or buttons during game play, whereas a Command is global, as it uses the 'input' command bar during game play.

COMMANDS:
-> global COMMAND
->-> Command
-> local (and sub) COMMAND
->-> Verb

Commands require more 'error and exception handling' coding~scripting, as to deal with that a person can type in anything!

example of a single simple 'error and exception handling' issue in most electronic games:

(a limitation upon how long your character's name can be)

<function name="alias_function"><![CDATA[
msg ("What is your name? (6 character limit)")
get input {
player.alias = result
if (LengthOf (player.alias > 6)) {
alias_function // repeats the function, as the inputted name is too long: invalid character length for the name
}
}
]]></function>

so, as a Command, it'd look like this:

// during game play, all the person would have to type is: aliasx

<command name="alias_command">
<pattern>aliasx</pattern>
<script>
alias_function
</script>
</command>

<function name="alias_function"><![CDATA[
msg ("What is your name? (6 character limit)")
get input {
player.alias = result
if (LengthOf (player.alias > 6)) {
alias_function // repeats the function, as the inputted name is too long: invalid character length for the name
}
}
]]></function>

OurJud
I've tried the tutorial, but you're very lucky if it covers your specific problem. The times I've looked, it hasn't.

What frustrates me in TA is a constant barrage of "I do not understand" replies to your inputs. I want to avoid that by including more than the default verbs that a player might use at any given time - especially with objects.

So let's say I want to create an 'if/if not got key'' script on a locked safe. I understand that I can't add 'open' as it's already there, so presumably I could add kick, for instance?

And do I have to add all the verbs first, before I add the script, or can I add the alternative verbs at any point?

HegemonKhan
the 'alt' text box is for extra input choices:

let's say my Verb is 'speak', but who's to say that the person playing the game will type in 'speak'...

maybe they'd try typing in 'talk', 'communicate', 'voice', 'echo', 'message', 'msg', 'verbalize', 'yell', 'whisper', 'scream', 'holler', etc... lol.. you get the idea...

so there's the 'alt' ( 'alt' stands for 'Alternative Name' ) text box for these other possible inputs by the person playing the game.

as what might be obvious to try inputing, such as 'speak', to you, may not be so obvious by the person playing the game.

(or, take for example if you wanted your game to be multi-language-able, yikes that would be a pain to code!!, you'd need 'alt' for each language of a word, such as a greeting word~Verb: 'hi:English', 'guttentag:German', 'konnichua:Japanese', 'hola:spanish', etc etc etc)

Silver
HegemonKhan wrote:Silver accidentally typo~reversed it:

Commands are global, Verbs are attached to specific Objects (local)

No idea how I managed that. It's so perfectly wrong it has to be the machine at fault rather than my tired mind lol.

HegemonKhan
err...

'alt' is just for Objects' Names, my bad.

I think you can only use Commands, not Verbs, for doing this stuff:

http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/ ... mands.html
(Alternative Command Patterns section)

http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/ ... _game.html
(Verbs section)

my bad about the previous post of mine.

george
HK and OJ, when you add a verb to an object Quest will automatically add it to the Verbs branch of the game tree (look in the top left of the GUI game tree). There you can further modify the verb.

OurJud
I read through that adding commands thing, but I'm not sure it's what I want. I've managed to achieve the desired effect, but I'm not sure by the right method.

I have a safe which requires a key to unlock it. Now let's imagine the player can't find the key, get's frustrated and types "Kick safe". By adding the word 'kick' to the verb list, and telling it to print "Congratulations, you've broken your big toe!" I can get it to successfully issue this response to the 'kick' command.

Is this how I do it?

Of course, if I want to offer alternative forms of interaction with objects, I need to do this with each object, yes?

Lets say next time the object is table lamp and I want the player to be able to smash it. I need to add 'smash' into the verb list with a suitable response, i.e "The lamp shatters into several pieces and broken glass litters the floor."

Is this the way to do it?

Silver
Yes.

The Pixie
To add synonyms to a verb, select it in the left pane. On the right, it will say "Pattern: command pattern" with a text box underneath. List all the alternatives there (one will be there already), separated by semi-colons.

OurJud
THank you, SIlver.
The Pixie wrote:To add synonyms to a verb, select it in the left pane. On the right, it will say "Pattern: command pattern" with a text box underneath. List all the alternatives there (one will be there already), separated by semi-colons.

TP, presumably this is only if the same response to each word that you add would make sense?

The Pixie
Yes.

OurJud
I'm still failing to understand how I set different verbs.

One of my rooms is a bedroom, with clothes draped over a chair. 'Use clothes' gets the desired response, but seems unnatural to me, so I want the game to understand 'dress'.

I've added dress as a verb and dragged it so that its parent is the object 'clothes'.

However, when I type 'dress' at the relevant juncture, I just get "I don;t understand your command".

How do I make it understand 'dress' as a command??

HegemonKhan
are you doing this in the GUI~Editor, as or as code (if you're doing it as code, what you need to code in, isn't clear unless you already know what you need to do) ???

make sure you add a word (or 1-3 words) for your 'input pattern' (the 'pattern' text box), and if there's a 'property' text box too in the GUI~Editor, add in a word (or 1-3 words) for that too, and have all the words in (Name, Property, and Pattern) match up.

if you're doing it in the GUI~Editor, once you added (and named) your Verb, you need to add the actual scripts for it, what you want that Verb to do (and also, as Pixie or whoever said, in the 'pattern' box you can add additional synonim words that the person playing can use instead of just your Verb's Name or just a single 'pattern' box word (separate them with semi-colons). Usually, scripting requires the 'if', 'set a variable or attribute', 'get input' or 'show menu', and~or 'msg' Scripts.

lastly,

the 'defaultexpression~defaultresponse' is what is outputed if the Verb fails (for intended or unintended reason) to execute:

// conceptually, ie: a non-sensical Verb or Command: drink hamburger
if (HasString (this, "object_type_string")) {
if (this.object_type_string = "beverage") {
player.energy = player.energy + 50
}
}
// defaultexpression: No you can't drink that item.

OurJud
I kind of got there in the end. I remember Jay's instructions for adding 'go' as a command, so opened up the library and carefully copied the attributes (except the code) in order to add 'dress'.

Dress clothes now works (although it doesn't make sense), but 'dress' on its own still doesn't.

Silver
If you make 'dress' the child of clothes the player would have to type 'dress clothes' to get a response.

IF generally wants a verb followed by a noun. Punch face. Eat dinner. Climb ladder. Quest caters for this. You're sort of breaking conventions by wanting the parser to understand verb only commands. It probably can be done but you want to use commands rather than verbs to do it. And it'll probably prove complicated in the long run despite you trying to simplify input commands.

Silver
Wear clothes/dress/trousers/shirt would be what seasoned IF players would try.

Silver
The opposite (to get undressed) would be remove dress/trousers/shirt/whatever

HegemonKhan
you're inputing this into the command bar, right?

if you want just 'dress', then use the hyperlinks~buttons, and it'll be just 'dress' (as a Verb button to click on for the child or as a hyperlink in the left text box)

the input (command) bar usually requires:

a command (a verb~action in english language), ie: dress
an object (a noun~thing in english language), WHAT do you want to dress?, ie: child

but, if you want just 'dress', then you need to create a Command, not a Verb.

<command name="dress_command">
<pattern>dress</pattern>
<script>
msg ("You dress up your child in some cute clothes for the family picture.")
</script>
</command>

now, you can just type in 'dress', and it'll do what you want. If you want to make this dynamic (while keeping just the input of 'dress' ), then you got to use a function with parameters for the Command's 'script'.

OurJud
OK. Thanks. I'll stick with 'wear' if that's the norm. At least I know that works.

OurJud
Although I have another problem now. After the player has dressed, I want a different response if the player (for whatever reason) was to type 'wear clothes' again.

A 'first time/otherwise' script doesn't work, nor does a 'if player is carrying' script, because 'wear' isn't the same as 'take'.

Silver
Its not to be awkward. But in essence you're trying to reinvent the wheel. Like all the hundreds of people who have written IF prior to this point haven't stumbled upon this problem of trying to simplify only to realise that it clashes with other things. Dress can be both a verb and noun. Work can too. So if you create a command called 'dress' but later on have an object that is a 'dress' the game is like wtf. Get dressed won't work because IF thinks get means to take something. It will read get as a verb and dressed as a noun rather than a string of two words that mean a verb in the present tense.

Silver
OurJud wrote:Although I have another problem now. After the player has dressed, I want a different response if the player (for whatever reason) was to type 'wear clothes' again.

A 'first time/otherwise' script doesn't work, nor does a 'if player is carrying' script, because 'wear' isn't the same as 'take'.

This is where you set and check for flags. So in the script 'wear clothes' you do this:

If object player has flag clothesworn then print "you are already wearing clothes"

Else print message "you slowly dress and feel much more comfortable now"
Set flag to object player clothesworn

HegemonKhan
you'll need an Attribute to 'check' (if):

take this different, but exact same example as what you want~need:

(in the GUI~Editor, Boolean Attributes are done in scripting as 'set flag on' or 'set flag off' Scripts. For adding the Boolean Attribute to the Object, after adding and naming the Attribute, then just click on the 'Type' Drop-Down Box changing 'string' to 'boolean', and then choosing or typing in 'false' for it's value, as we don't want our Object to start the game dead, lol)

<object name="orc">
<attr name="dead_boolean" type="boolean">false</attr>
</object>

<function name="fight_function">
if (orc.dead_boolean = true) {
msg ("The orc is already dead, silly.")
} else if (orc.dead_boolean = false) {
orc.dead_boolean = true
msg ("You attack the orc, killing it.")
}
</function>

and now for you:

<object name="child">
<attr name="dressed_boolean" type="boolean">false</attr>
</object>

<function name="dress_function">
if (child.dressed_boolean = true) {
msg ("The child is already dressed, silly.")
} else if (child.dressed_boolean = false) {
chld.dressed_boolean = true
msg ("You dress up your child in really cute clothes for the family picture.")
}
</function>

Silver
So in the first part it looks for the flag and if the flag is there it says/does one thing.

If the flag isn't there it lets the player do that but then sets the flag that the first part checks for to stop it happening again.

HegemonKhan
here's Chase's 'Wearable Library' (advanced equipment system: layers of clothing~armors capable, as well as multiple body~equipment slots~areas~locations too), if interested:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2901&hilit=wearable

it's really useful, and the code is so well done too, hehe :D

OurJud
Fair enough, Silver. As I said elsewhere I do like to try and do things differently. However, I accept there are certain rules, it's just a learning curve I suppose.

As for the other issue, I can't imagine why a player would type 'wear clothes' immediately after typing it in the first place, I just thought it would be cool if I could give a different response if they did.

I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I have a tendency to test the logic of TA games when I'm playing them. I like to type unusual things or try to 'take' an object twice, in the hope of getting a logical response. If I do, then I know the creator has gone to some trouble when building his world.

If I get the response, "You already have the key' on trying to take it a second time, I'm impressed. (although for 'take' I think this response is default anyway), but equally, trying to wear clothes twice (if only for people who like to test a game's logic) should get the response, "You're already wearing the clothes."

Silver
Yeah I've used the wearables library. The only thing it doesn't cover iirc is if an item is worn at the start of the game so some slight code needs to be tweaked.

OurJud
Silver wrote:

"OurJud"

Although I have another problem now. After the player has dressed, I want a different response if the player (for whatever reason) was to type 'wear clothes' again.

This is where you set and check for flags. So in the script 'wear clothes' you do this:

If object player has flag clothesworn then print "you are already wearing clothes"

So how and where do I set the 'clothesworn' flag?

Silver
OurJud wrote:Fair enough, Silver. As I said elsewhere I do like to try and do things differently. However, I accept there are certain rules, it's just a learning curve I suppose.

As for the other issue, I can't imagine why a player would type 'wear clothes' immediately after typing it in the first place, I just thought it would be cool if I could give a different response if they did.

I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I have a tendency to test the logic of TA games when I'm playing them. I like to type unusual things or try to 'take' an object twice, in the hope of getting a logical response. If I do, then I know the creator has gone to some trouble when building his world.

If I get the response, "You already have the key' on trying to take it a second time, I'm impressed. (although for 'take' I think this response is default anyway), but equally, trying to wear clothes twice (if only for people who like to test a game's logic) should get the response, "You're already wearing the clothes."

Setting flags deals with this. But also, once you're wearing the clothes they should be technically in your inventory and not in the room anymore so you need to make sure that happens in your script too.

Silver
OurJud wrote:

"Silver"

[quote="OurJud"]Although I have another problem now. After the player has dressed, I want a different response if the player (for whatever reason) was to type 'wear clothes' again.

So how and where do I set the 'clothesworn' flag?[/quote]

I'm assuming that you can now do scripts? Below the IF script options are other ones, one of which is the option to set a flag to any object and give it any name you like.

HegemonKhan
yep, not doing so is lazy, poor quality game making... though it can quickly become overboard quickly too (you don't want to be coding for infinite possiblities too, lol, which is why the 'else' and 'defaultexpression' are useful: 'for everything else' do this, lol):

usually only half of the entire code is gaming~software code, while the entire other half of code, is merely all the (logic) 'error and exception handling' code.

and this is really important, because if you don't block up inputs by the user... then it's going to read and execute a hack input... which could wipe out your entire computer...

hence the constant 'patches' for software: oops I forgot this 'error and excpetion handling' for this input area of code', lol.

OurJud
Thanks, Silver.

HK, re all the blocks of code you tirelessly supply for my questions.

I really am truly grateful, and it must seem like sometimes I'm ignoring your posts, but I need to stress, for the benefit of us both, that when you post these blocks of code, I do not have the VAGUEST idea what to do with them. I know I need to add them somewhere, but without instructions, I do not know where or how.

Silver
I feel that with HK's posts too sometimes.

But... That doesn't mean that other people who search for these topics will also. So the coding info is useful to be included.

jaynabonne
Some thoughts about verbs and commands. in case it helps.

The primary difference between verbs and commands is that verbs are tied to objects. There *must* be an object specified in what's typed (so something like "dress" could not be a verb, as there is no object). The action performed by the verb is specified by the object in question. So if you have "kick #object#" as the pattern for your verb, then if you type "kick ball", it will invoke the "kick" attribute on the ball object, if it has one. (You can specify the default behavior for objects that don't.) You get to specify the name of the attribute to use for the verb, if you're creating your own.

Commands, on the other hand, might take an object or not in the pattern, but the script for a command is not routed to the object. There is just the one script in the command itself. This allow you to have handling for a specific input in one place, regardless of any objects specified (if one is relevant). So, if you wanted to write a single bit of script to handle the same action for *all* objects, or if you have an input phrase that has no objects, you'd use a command.

An example of this would be if, for example, you had a general purpose combat system and a general "attack (monster)" command, that launches the command code with the object in question. You don't want the monster itself to handle the general "attack" command. (It probably will handle individual blows during combat, though.) So a command would work well for that. It will automatically work for all relevant objects without having to add script to each object.

Other examples of commands include things with no objects, like "help", "about", "die", "sleep", etc.

The easiest way to add a verb to an object is on the object's "Verbs" tab. You can add handling for either an existing verb or for a new one (by typing it in). It also adds the verb into the object's verbs list when you click on it.

A final thought (for now) about commands is that commands can be specific to a room. So you can have a "dress" command in the bedroom only. If you type "dress" elsewhere, it won't be recognized.

A final, final thought: commands can be as specific as you want. So you can have a command with pattern "Check out the new library". Of course, the player would need to type that all in...

OurJud
Silver wrote:I'm assuming that you can now do scripts? Below the IF script options are other ones, one of which is the option to set a flag to any object and give it any name you like.

Can't get this to work.

I click the object (clothes)

Change 'text' to 'Run script'

Go to the Verbs tab and select 'wear'

Add the flag (clotheson)

Then Add script

Print message

Type "You give them a quick sniff before shrugging and putting them on."

Then Add script

If Object has flag, print "You're already wearing the clothes.

But when I run it, both message show up when I type 'wear clothes'

Avantar
I can recommend using Chase's Wearable library here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2901

Silver
Because you have to check for the flag first, not second.

The game logic in scripts is that it will do whatever it comes to first. So if the first thing it sees is to print a message it will do that.

You need to tell the game that it can only print the message after it has checked for certain conditions. So checking for the flag/s comes first in the game logic.

Silver
So if this flag exists, say this: blah blah

Else (that flag doesn't exist) say: blah blah instead.

OurJud
But I did that first time round.

After setting the flag, I set an 'If object does not have flag' script, followed by a message to say you put the clothes on.

And under that I set an 'If object has flag" to say you're already wearing them.

Silver
Okay the logic is this. You don't check for if a flag is unset. That complicates it.

So wear clothes.

If object player has flag clothesworn then say "you are already wearing them"

Else say "you put the clothes on"
beneath this is where you set the flag to the player object called clothesworn that it will now look for"

OurJud
I'm going to explode in a minute.

Are you saying I need to create an additional object called 'clothesworn' ?

Silver
I'm going to explode too. Does creating a flag mean creating an object?

Are you trolling? I think someone else needs to guide you now. Life's too short.

OurJud
I'm trying to follow your instruction, but it's not working, and I'm not clear on what I'm supposed to be doing.

When I've clicked on the 'clothes' object in the left pane, which tab do I go to for entering the flag?

Silver
Lol. Do the tutorials. Then try to apply them to what you're trying to do.

OurJud
But the tutorials make no sense and never relate to the problem I'm having.

Silver
The flag is part of the script. You select 'run script' instead of 'print message'. I'd do you an example but I've never come across anyone with so many questions in such a short space of time yet unable to grasp the answers.

OurJud
Silver wrote:The flag is part of the script. You select 'run script' instead of 'print message'. I'd do you an example but I've never come across anyone with so many questions in such a short space of time yet unable to grasp the answers.

I'm sorry, what else can I say. I seriously think I have some form of, as yet, undiagnosed learning difficulty.

I know I have to change it to 'run script', but on which tab? There are several tabs for the objects.

Okay, scripts can be added under the 'set-up' tab, the 'use/give' tab, and the 'verbs' tab, so which one of these do I use for setting the flag?

Silver
Where abouts in the North are you from?

OurJud
You're not going to come and batter me, are you?

Silver
Why should that be construed as a threat?

OurJud
Sorry, it was supposed to be a question, but I missed the 'not' out.

Either way, twas just a joke.

I'm from Manchester area, by the way. Does that explain anything?

Silver
Giz a min or ten.

OurJud
Right, I'm going to tell you what I'm doing, in as much detail as possible:

1. I have an object that I have called clothes, parent is 'bedroom'
2. I select this object (clothes) in the left pane
3. I click the verbs tab and select 'wear' from the list (this gives me the option to change 'print message' to 'run a script')
4. I click 'Add new script' and select 'add flag to object'
5. I call this flag 'clotheson'
6. I click 'Add new script' and select 'if'
7. I set the if to : If object has flag (clothes) flagname (clotheson)
8. 'Add new script'
9. 'Print message'
10. "You are already wearing the clothes"
11. Else
12. 'Print message'
13. "You climb into the clothes."

When I run the game, the input "wear clothes' gets the response, "You're already wearing the clothes.

Silver
Because you're from the North I'm in the process of constructing a detailed explanation. This will take a bit of time because I'm providing images which involves me jumping in and out of a gfx program. All you have to do in return is promise to create the most fantastic game in Quest that anyone has ever seen and not jump over to inform once people want your autograph. OK?

OurJud
:lol:

Promise!

So.... is Inform free too? :D

Oh, and thank you.

Silver
Yes inform is free too.

Silver
OurJud wrote:Right, I'm going to tell you what I'm doing, in as much detail as possible:

3. I click the verbs tab and select 'wear' from the list (this gives me the option to change 'print message' to 'run a script')
5. I call this flag 'clotheson'
6. I click 'Add new script' and select 'if'
7. I set the if to : If object has flag (clothes) flagname (clotheson)
8. 'Add new script'
9. 'Print message'
10. "You are already wearing the clothes"
11. Else
12. 'Print message'
13. "You climb into the clothes."

When I run the game, the input "wear clothes' gets the response, "You're already wearing the clothes.

Actually you need to implement the wearables library for this really - as others have suggested - which is a different matter.

But for now I need to explain the logic. I don't think gfx are needed (phew!)

This is all done in one IF script.

Yes. So...

No. Because the first thing you do isn't to set the flag. You have to look for the flag first. Otherwise how do you check if the clothes are already worn?

So step 1. is IF object player has flag clothesworn
THEN print "you're already wearing them"

but the flag isn't set so the game will ignore that and move to else. So under else select print message and type "you put the clothes on".
under that you set the flag, because you have now put the clothes on. set flag clothesworn to player object.

ELSE print"you put the clothes on"
Set flag object player flagname clothesworn

Your thinking is right, but you have to reverse the logic.

OurJud
Silver wrote:

No. Because the first thing you do isn't to set the flag. You have to look for the flag first. Otherwise how do you check if the clothes are already worn?

So step 1. is If object player has flag clothesworn then print "you're already wearing them"

but the flag isn't set so the game will ignore that and move to else. So under else select print message and type "you put the clothes on".
under that you set the flag, because you have now put the clothes on. set flag clothesworn to player object.

Your thinking is right, but you have to reverse the logic.

I'm actually scared not to understand now...

But, if I don't set the flag first, how can I select it from in the if script?

Oh, wait, I think I understand. Wait.

OurJud
SIIIIIGH. It keeps crashing whenever I flick between the game and my browser.

OurJud
I give in!

It doesn't work.

All I get now is 'You're already wearing the clothes.'

WTF am I doing wrong???

Silver
Just look at this, copy it and see if it works. The understanding will come later.

OurJud
Right.

But you said don't set the flag first?? So how have you selected it on the first script?

Oooh, wait. wait.

Silver
No, I set the flag last. I looked for the flag first.

The above doesn't make you wear the clothes btw. I'm just trying to explain the logic of the flag for now.

OurJud
YEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Holy shhh...ugar that was difficult!!

Thank you so much for your patience. I know my posts are frantic and can come across as trolling, but I assure you they're not.

ONE of the mistakes I was making was choosing 'clothes' from the dropdown box instead of 'player'.

OurJud
I don't know what I was doing before, but when I tried to set the flag for the first part, as you have it in your screen grab, the last part was only giving me the dropdown box, instead of letting me type in there.

Silver
Thank heavens above! :D

Now make something great! Spend at least a year working on it lol

Silver
Just tell me you understand the logic of why it works backwards and all is good.

OurJud
What, you think that's the last problem I'll come across?? :D

Achieving such a simple effect should not been that difficult... it doesn't bode well for the future.

And as I type, folk are mentally making a note to not open any of my threads.

OurJud
Backwards?? I'll sound like Stan Laurel.

OurJud
Speaking of Backwards, I'm off to watch Red Dwarf until my eyes bleed.

Thanks again - really appreciated.

Silver
OurJud wrote:ONE of the mistakes I was making was choosing 'clothes' from the dropdown box instead of 'player'.

Yeah. I guess the problem with flags is that they can be set to anything. You could have set it to clothes instead and it would have made no difference. But you have to look for the precise flag on the precise object you set it to. If you set the flag to clothes then look for it on player the game will be looking for something else.

Sorry for getting impatient with you btw. Your Northerness saved you though. ;)

OurJud
Silver wrote:Sorry for getting impatient with you btw. Your Northerness saved you though. ;)

Nay worries. You're not the first, and I suspect won't be the last. I tend to have that affect on people.

Silver
Now you sound Scottish lol

OurJud
Silver wrote:Now you sound Scottish lol

Well f you can come from the north east AND London, I can come from Manchester AND Scotland :D

Silver
Fair point. :D

HegemonKhan
off-topic

'come from' is relative to time:

XX years ago, I 'come from' (and still living in) North America (U.S.)
500 years ago, maybe I 'came from' Europe
1,000 years ago, maybe I 'came from' Asia
1,500 years ago, maybe I 'came from' Middle East
2,000 years ago, maybe I 'came from' Africa
2,500 years ago, maybe I came from Australia
3,000 years ago, maybe I came from South America
3,500 years ago, maybe I came from Europe
4,000 years ago, maybe I came from Middle East
4,500 years ago, maybe I came from Asia
5,000 years ago, maybe I came from Africa
70,000 years ago, I (and EVERYONE) came from South Africa (the surviving humans, us: Homo sapiens sapiens: modern humans, after the Toba eruption. Humans went from having populated the entire planet to just populating South Africa, due to Toba, and now we have re-populated the planet again)
7,000,000 years ago, our chimp-human ancestor started to evolve-split into what would be chimps and humans ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahelanthropus ), in East Africa (the Great Rift Valley, stretching through a few East African countries)

so, what ethinicity am I? am I American, European, Asian, Middle Eastern, or African? That's the same for everyone, not just me.

and this is the same for everyone, though what order of main areas will differ, but this is due to the 'split~emmigrate -> join~immigrate -> split~emmigrate' behaviorism of life, including humans. Life forms a group, that group slips up, breeding+trading occurs, those groups' children then come back together, breeding+trading occurs, the group slits up again... etc etc etc, this happens both at the micro level (the family unit) and the species level (country~continent~large area units).

Silver
-Where are you from?

-What, 5000 years ago or more recently?

HegemonKhan
off-topic

human genetics goes back a long time (arguably 7 mya), so genetically, yep we're all possibly not jsut 5,000 years old, but 7 mya, hehe. That's the whole point of reproduction, genetic continuance.

so, again, what ethnicity am I, hehe. WE are ALL ethnicities, everyone is African, everyone is European, everyone is Asian, everyone is Middle Eastern, everyone is American, hehe :D There's really no such thing as ethnicity (and race* due to Toba) at all, in terms of facts~science.

*the genetic difference between a human and a chimp: 2%
*the genetic difference between a human and a POTATO: 8%
*the genetic difference between the ~1,000 surviving humans (South Africa: all northern land of South Africa was frozen in an glacial ice age from the volcanic dust and chems: instead of a 'nuclear' winter, we've encountered a natural~earth 'volcanic' winter, as voncanos are super nuclear bombs in terms of force and far more damaging to the climate than humans can ever be, there's no such thing as human caused climate change: know the facts: a single volcano ejects more megatons of sun blocking dust and chemicals than nuclear bomb or industry+cars chemicals humanity can ever hope to achieve, and then multiple how many volcanos are just on the ring of fire, let alone elsewhere, human caused climate change is, and always was, scientifically DEAD, which nearly made humans extinct 70, 000 years ago) of the Toba eruption, which have re-populated the planet: ~0.000000000000000001%

as an organism (a human), I'm from XX years ago, hehe

in terms of genetics (my individual cells), I'm from 7 mya (and actually, technically, my genetics would go back to first life at ~ 2 bya, hehe), relative immortality at the genetic level, all due to just that one amazing thing: reproduction