Gamebook Combat

OurJud
Does the Gamebook mode support any forms of combat?

I'm thinking along the rolling of dice, such as in the Ian Livinstone CYOA books from the 70s/80s.

Instead of rolling dice, however, I'm thinking of a random outcome which would play out something like this.

"The enemy/troll/dragon/whatever stands before you. It's time to show what you're made of, and remember, you just never know your luck."

Attack

The random generator them selects one of two outcomes; 'you win' or 'you lose.'

Could this be done?

HegemonKhan
in the Text Adventure version, yes, but I've not used the Gamebook version, so I don't know if it supports the same code stuff that the Text Adventure has.

look up these on the quest wiki doc:

DiceRoll
GetRandomInt
GetRandomDouble
RandomChance

OurJud
Will do, HK. Thanks.

HegemonKhan
well, you can't have any 'enemy' Objects directly. though you can produce the same effect (albiet a lot more messy than Text Adventure):

game.orc_1_life = 100
game.orc_1_damage = 10
game.orc_2_life = 500
game.orc_2_damage = 100
game.dragon_1_life = 999
game.dragon_1_damage = 500

and I think the GameBook has most of the same Scripts as Text Adventure, so combat should be quite possible and with most combat things too, but I've not really examined nor worked with the Gamebook version, so I could be wrong.

OurJud
Thanks.

I'm trying to get to grips with the Text Adventure mode, as I'm realising now it offers the most freedom and puzzle setting seems as though it might be easier to implicate.

I have to say, though, I'm finding the TA mode very difficult to get my head around... and I'm usually fairly good at this kind of thing.

The Pixie
Have you done the tutorial? It is a good place to start,

HegemonKhan
most of the information~help available is for Text Adventure (TA), which is good for those who use it, and bad for those who use Game Book (GB), lol.

http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/
http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/tutorial/

if you're using TA now, then definately go through the tutorial (as Pixie has already advised), try to do everything in it, as it'll help you learn to work with the TA GUI~Editor, well. Yes, it might be a bit boring and simplistic, but go through it all anyways, as you need that actual experience of working with the TA GUI~Editor. The tutorial is the 'fundamentals' for using TA GUI~Editor, afterwards, then you can tackle a bit more advanced stuff, now having a grounding in the basics of TA.

---------

if you're interested, you can follow along in amusement at my own struggle to learn to use quest, TA GUI~Editor, and then to quest code, as for me and my old computer, the GUI~Editor is too 'clunky' (and I wanted~want to learn how to code anyways, hehe):

viewtopic.php?t=3348

I too was compeltely overwhelmed, just by all the terms... lol, it was 'all greek' to me too, at first, it took me a long time to start to understand the terms, laughs :D

OurJud
Thanks, both. I just watched an 8-part tutorial on youtube that Jay had linked to for someone else, and am about to try a very simple microgame involving a room, a key and a safe. This will incorporate objects and scripts.

I'm also interested to see if I'm about to make life very difficult for myself by disabling hyperlinks.

HegemonKhan
good luck, using the 'open~close~isopen~openable~switchable~whatever' and 'locked~unlocked~lockable~islocked~whatever' isn't that intuitive, as it seems to be, as everyone posts questions (including myself) with trying to get it to fully work properly.

(search the forum, so many posts which ask for help in trying to get it to work, hehe).

OurJud
Well I just managed the very simple key/safe puzzle. I successfully set it up so that if you tried to open the safe before getting the key, it told you it was locked. If you take the key first the safe opens - a fairly straight forward 'if/if_not' script.

Silver
OurJud wrote:Thanks, both. I just watched an 8-part tutorial on youtube that Jay had linked to for someone else, and am about to try a very simple microgame involving a room, a key and a safe. This will incorporate objects and scripts.

I'm also interested to see if I'm about to make life very difficult for myself by disabling hyperlinks.

I don't bother with hyperlinks. I'm one or the other. Games should be either entirely hyperlinks or none at all. I'm fussy like that. Plus I'm a control freak.

OurJud
Silver wrote:

"OurJud"

Thanks, both. I just watched an 8-part tutorial on youtube that Jay had linked to for someone else, and am about to try a very simple microgame involving a room, a key and a safe. This will incorporate objects and scripts.

I don't bother with hyperlinks. I'm one or the other. Games should be either entirely hyperlinks or none at all. I'm fussy like that. Plus I'm a control freak.

Me too. I hesitate to use such a corny phrase, but I like to think outside the box with stuff like this. I like the idea of bringing something new to the TA, modernise it, as it were. My idea is to give good descriptions and let the player think for himself. Complete open-world freedom would be the ideal, but impossible in such a game.