Layer Out Of Bounds

Darkweaver
I keep getting this message "Current Layer Out Of Bounds. Current Layer Range -3 to 3" or something like that.

It happens in a room where a stairs lead down.

If I change the down direction to something like south, it's okay. But it seems to be having an issue with "down".

I have the in-game map activated and I'm guessing it has to do with that.

Help please.

Edit: Yeah, it does seem to be the in-game map. I disabled the map and no problems. Why is this? Does the map have some kind of "border" which prevents it from going further?

Second Edit: This is my guess, but I have a multi-leveled dungeon. It seems that going "down" too far is messing up the map which is strange but if anyone can chime in....

HegemonKhan
the map only works for 1 level, I think, the map can't handle 'upper~lower levels', unless you clear it and then regenerate it: it can only handle a single vertical level at a time.

Darkweaver
HegemonKhan wrote:the map only works for 1 level, I think, the map can't handle 'upper~lower levels', unless you clear it and then regenerate it: it can only handle a single vertical level at a time.

It was able to handle two or three levels but once it hits the fourth level, it seems like that's when it bombs out.

That's weird it isn't programmed to allow multiple levels, especially considering most adventure games have up's and down's, often times more than once.

So what can I do? Do I have to disable the map feature, which I don't want to? Or is there a workaround?

Edit: I'm okay with "regenerating" it each level so it doesn't show the previous level as transparent. I actually don't like that, btw. Hopefully I can do this somehow.... without coding?

jaynabonne
You seem to have hit a Quest hard limit. It has an internal "maxLayer" constant which is set to 3. You can have 3 layers up and 3 down, but that's it.

jaynabonne
One thing that might work (if you know the max levels you'd need) is to look at this code I created back for Quest 5.4 (which I hope would still be valid at the JS level - we'd have to see).

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3886

It basically takes the grid JS code that's buried in the player and brings it up where it can be modified. If you look in mygrid.js, you'll see the maxLayer constant, which could be changed.

You might be able to drop that ib and modify the maxLayer constant to what you need. If you'd like to go that route, let me know, and I'll help as needed.

Darkweaver
jaynabonne wrote:One thing that might work (if you know the max levels you'd need) is to look at this code I created back for Quest 5.4 (which I hope would still be valid at the JS level - we'd have to see).

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3886

It basically takes the grid JS code that's buried in the player and brings it up where it can be modified. If you look in mygrid.js, you'll see the maxLayer constant, which could be changed.

You might be able to drop that ib and modify the maxLayer constant to what you need. If you'd like to go that route, let me know, and I'll help as needed.

Yeah sure.

I'm all new to this but I download the file. I just need to know what to do and where to try and place that code. :)

jaynabonne
Ok, let me get a sample project set up. That should make it easy enough. :)

Darkweaver
jaynabonne wrote:Ok, let me get a sample project set up. That should make it easy enough. :)

Thank you very much.

Since I'm still new (and I haven't touched Quest in the last few days as well) I'd appreciate any hand held walkthrough if you could. :oops: I'm still learning (and I really need to get back to working with it now).

jaynabonne
I gave this a try and fixed some errors, but though it seems to be working, nothing shows up in the map. So more has probably changed in the Quest player code since I extracted that before. Long story short: it's going to take longer to get it working than I thought. I might still be able to do it, but I wouldn't want to hold up your game waiting for me. :(

Darkweaver
jaynabonne wrote:I gave this a try and fixed some errors, but though it seems to be working, nothing shows up in the map. So more has probably changed in the Quest player code since I extracted that before. Long story short: it's going to take longer to get it working than I thought. I might still be able to do it, but I wouldn't want to hold up your game waiting for me. :(

No problem. Guess I just have to disable the map for now.