Argh, Help! Think I Deleted An Existing Verb!

Darkweaver
So, unless I'm mistaking there was a 'place' verb that worked the same way 'put' does.... I think. And I think I accidentally deleted it.... Unless I'm remembering wrong. Because it won't let me 'place' objects inside containers. How do I get it back now?

If there isn't such a thing as a 'place' command, then I'm losing sleep and never mind....

Pertex
There is no place verb or command in Quest :D

Darkweaver
Yeah, I feel stupid now. lol.

Could I ever be in danger of overwriting an existing verb? For instance, if I add a verb to an object and the verb already exists (I notice some verbs that do exist are not in the drop down menu, i.e. 'put') will it somehow overwrite that existing verb?

I hope I'm making what I'm asking clear.

I'm kind of leery of adding verbs as a result.

HegemonKhan
Alex has done a great job, it's impossible to alter~delete the quest engine core code (underlying~default~built-in code) through the GUI~Editor. (though, if you open up the actual quest's program folders and library files, and alter~delete them, then yes you can mess up quest).

What the GUI~Editor does, is to force you to click on the 'COPY' button (after you highlight something on the left side's 'tree of stuff', on the right side in the upper right corner, will be the 'copy' button), when you want to alter it's default~underlying~built-in code (such as the 'take' verb, for example). This creates a copy for you to alter it as you want, leaving~protecting the original code from your altering of it.

-------

By the way, to see all of the underlying~default~built-in code~stuff, in the GUI~Editor:

on the left side ( in the 'tree of stuff' ), at the bottom (lower left corner of computer monitor~screen), is:

Filter -> ~Show Library Files (this is a bit tricky to click on due to its popup getting in the way, argh)

you want to click on this (filter and then its 'show library files' or whatever it is called).

what this does is a toggle button, showing (or hiding) all the default~underlying~built-in code stuff as light greyed text in the left side's 'tree of stuff'

-------

But, do note this too:

if you do create a new thing with the same name as something that is a default~underlying~built-in code stuff, then it will for the purpose of your game only, take precidence (I'm using this word, as I don't want to use 'overwrite' as it doesn't actual overwrite the core coding stuff) over the core (underlying~default~built-in) code stuff.

this is slightly mostly useful to know as it applies to attributes too, when you learn about Object Types and inherited attributes. (when you're ready for this, I'll explain this stuff)

Object Types can be found under the 'Advanced' in the left side's 'tree of stuff'

in code, example of Object Types ( ' <type>Attributes</type> ' ), their Inherited Attributes ( ' <inherit /> ' ), and overwriting the Inherited Attributes:

<object name="player_1">
<inherit name="editor_object" />
<inherit name="editor_player" />
<inherit name="character_object_type" />
<alias>HK</alias>
<attr name="strength_integer" type="int">100</attr>
</object>

<object name="orc_1">
<inherit name="editor_object" />
<inherit name="character_object_type" />
<alias>orc</alias>
<attr name="strength_integer" type="int">25</attr>
</object>

<type name="character_object_type">
<attr name="dead_boolean" type="boolean">false</attr>
<attr name="strength_integer" type="int">0</attr>
<attr name="endurance_integer" type="int">0</attr>
<attr name="dexterity_integer" type="int">0</attr>
<attr name="agility_integer" type="int">0</attr>
<attr name="speed_integer" type="int">0</attr>
<attr name="luck_integer" type="int">0</attr>
<attr name="piety_integer" type="int">0</attr>
<attr name="intelligence_integer" type="int">0</attr>
<attr name="spirituality_integer" type="int">0</attr>
<attr name="mentality_integer" type="int">0</attr>
<attr name="level_integer" type="int">0</attr>
<attr name="experience_integer" type="int">0</attr>
<attr name="cash_integer" type="int">0</attr>
<attr name="current_life_integer" type="int">0</attr>
<attr name="maximum_life_integer" type="int">0</attr>
<attr name="minimum_life_integer" type="int">0</attr>
<attr name="current_mana_integer" type="int">0</attr>
<attr name="maximum_mana_integer" type="int">0</attr>
<attr name="minimum_mana_integer" type="int">0</attr>
</type>

Darkweaver
Okay, so for my lantern(s), I added the verb 'light' so you can turn on the lantern by saying 'light lantern' (I've always been used to using that verb and it's shorter than typing 'switch on' or 'turn on').

I don't know if the verb 'light' was ever in the core engine but when I added to verbs in the object (the lantern), it added the word in the verb folder under game.

So, hopefully, I didn't "overwrite" the verb 'light' but then again, I never saw it in any of the drop downs but like I said, 'put' exists and doesn't show in the drop down menu either.

Just making sure I didn't fudge anything up since I'm doing all sorts of weird things here.

Silver
Iirc if you try to create a verb that exists in the core code it doesn't let you.