Can I write games off-line with Quest 5.5?

peter edwards
The question's in the title! My internet connection is so slow that writing games on-line is a no-no, so I'm reluctant to install the latest Quest as it means having to give up game-writing!

Pertex
Sure, you can dowlnload the Windows Quest client. You can even do all the work with a text editor

peter edwards
Thank you for your speedy reply, but I'm not sure what is meant by "Windows Quest client".

Silver
The software for writing offline.

peter edwards
Thanks for that, Pertex and Silver. Just what I wanted to know.

Silver
This has raised a thought. Is there any way to combine the two? I save to drop box anyway because I move around quite a bit, but can online quest import offline files (and vice versa) or do we choose to work one way or the other?

jaynabonne
You can download a game created in the online editor for further editing on the desktop, but you can't upload a desktop game for editing to the Quest online editor.

You can upload a published game (.quest file) for playing on the Quest web site, though.

Memosync
Hi! Just a quick question.

I downloaded the window version so that I can create a game offline, I'm just wondering why when I start creating a game and choose the Game book instead of Text based I still directed to a text based editing, wherein I cannot see the options like the objects or adding rooms, just adding page and all text?

Please reply.

jaynabonne
Because gamebook mode doesn't have objects and rooms. It's just pages of text with links.
You can work with objects of a sort under the covers, but that's not what gamebooks are.

If you want objects, rooms, etc, it sounds like you want the text adventure mode.

Memosync
Wow that was quick reply. Okay I try that one thanks!

TextStories
jaynabonne wrote:You can download a game created in the online editor for further editing on the desktop, but you can't upload a desktop game for editing to the Quest online editor.

You can upload a published game (.quest file) for playing on the Quest web site, though.

Sorry, just to be clear... you can indeed take the game you created from the desktop version of Quest and upload it to the internet to be played online? Hence the desktop version can kill two birds with one stone as it were, a downloadable version and an online one?

Silver
TextStories wrote:

"jaynabonne"

You can download a game created in the online editor for further editing on the desktop, but you can't upload a desktop game for editing to the Quest online editor.

Sorry, just to be clear... you can indeed take the game you created from the desktop version of Quest and upload it to the internet to be played online? Hence the desktop version can kill two birds with one stone as it were, a downloadable version and an online one?

The question was if I could create a game in the windows editor then upload it and edit it with the online editor. The answer was no. All games can be played on or offline regardless of whether they were created on or offline afaik.