Replacing pictures instead of clearing the screen?

Mareus
Is there a way to replace the pictures instead of clearing the screen and then showing a new picture? Basically what I am aware of, you can add a picture by "show picture" command, but if you don't clear the screen before, the layout you will get is basically this:
1. Original picture
2. Some text which you wrote while playing the game
3. New picture.

What I would like is to keep the text you wrote while playing the game, but replace the picture instead of dumping it under the text, because usually the screen centers on a new picture and then you have to scroll before you can get to inputting new commands in the game, and frankly I do not like that solution very much. The problem could be avoided if you could just replace the picture, so that you get this kind of layout:
1. Original picture that can change to New picture once certain conditions are met
2. Some text which you wrote while playing the game

Furthermore I am wondering if there is a command for showing ShowRoomDescription elements such as "You can see object X,Y,Z" and "You can go to place A,B,C" without having to necessarily show the whole room description. I just want to be able to call the function part which describes which objects you can see and where you can go. Is that possible? Note that I am aware of ShowRoomDescription, but that function also calls the text you wrote before and that is exactly what I want to avoid.

jaynabonne
To set the picture, call

SetFramePicture(picture_name)

To clear a picture, call

ClearFramePicture

jaynabonne
Onward...

To show the list of objects in the room, do something like:

s = FormatObjectList(game.pov.parent.objectslistprefix, GetNonTransparentParent(game.pov.parent), Template("And"), ".")
msg(s)

To show the list of exits, do:

s = FormatExitList(game.pov.parent.exitslistprefix, GetExitsList(), Template("Or"), ".")
msg(s)

It's not pretty, but it should work. (This is taken roughly from ShowRoomDescription.)

Mareus
jaynabonne wrote:Onward...

To show the list of objects in the room, do something like:

s = FormatObjectList(game.pov.parent.objectslistprefix, GetNonTransparentParent(game.pov.parent), Template("And"), ".")
msg(s)

To show the list of exits, do:

s = FormatExitList(game.pov.parent.exitslistprefix, GetExitsList(), Template("Or"), ".")
msg(s)

It's not pretty, but it should work. (This is taken roughly from ShowRoomDescription.)

It works partly, but there is a problem. Namely when I try to set a picture frame in the "before entering the room for the first time", I get no picture when entering the room. Yet it works when I do something to change the picture. The other code for showing places and objects works perfectly, Jay. So thanks for that.

jaynabonne
Perhaps you should do it in the "after" instead then? :) Otherwise, it sounds like the room change is clearing the picture.

jaynabonne
Or you could also set the room's picture attribute (whatever it's called) when you change the picture, to be sure.

Silver
Sounds similar to the problem I was getting with room descriptions when I set a clear screen script in the game setup.