Multiple Authors

rgreig
Does anyone have any advice about how to run a project with multiple writers and programmers?

I'm imagining cuting and pasting a lot of code into a master file somewhere but are there any better ways/features that I'm missing?

Thanks,

R.

jaynabonne
I would share the project file(s) on Dropbox (or an online repository) and use something like Mercurial or Git to handle source control.

rgreig
I was more thinking about getting people to work in separate files and then combining them. Doesn't look like you can have multiple files open and cut and paste like I would like to be able to do.

I suppose since its just a fancy text file I should be able to merge in a version system and just manually resolve the conflicts. Does any one have any experience if how well that works in practice?

Silver
what jobs are you thinking of?

In commercial game design you'll have someone creating the plot / story board, coders, people assigned to doing the graphics, others animation etc.

So split what you need to do into these roles. If your collaborator is tasked with writing room descriptions then they don't need to be writing to the file at the same time that you do. They can write it into text documents to be pasted in later. If they need to be working on the file at the same time (from a different computer, perhaps miles apart) as you then you need to ask yourself why. It can get very confusing working that way because you'll keep over writing each other (your latest save will be wiped out by their latest save which hasn't seen your latest update etc) and the solution is to set given roles rather than both doing the same tasks simultaneously.

Or if you must, you work one day and they the next; via dropbox or google drive like jay suggested. Quest isn't like Google Docs and I can't envisage it ever being able to work that way (I'll be proven wrong, no doubt).

HegemonKhan
there's some good programs for documentation (preserves the versioning~versions, aka good for editing with multiple authors), but I forgot what program~software, I think that, was mentioned here to me a long time ago... argh.

jaynabonne
If you do want different people working on different parts of the game (and they're all, say, creating text), and assuming we're speaking about Quest here ( :) ), Quest supports libraries. So you can split the code up into separate library files and have them simply be included in your main game file. There are some difficulties (e.g. you can't directly reference an object in the main game file as another object's parent), but it might be doable.

It's hard to be more specific without knowing more specifics.