Lost hours of work - annoying

Silver
I went to save my file and suddenly Quest! decided it couldn't find the original document. So I redirected it along the right directory path to save over the original (Big Mistake). It then said changes had been made outside of Quest! and now it refuses to load. Partly my fault as I learned years ago never to keep over writing the same file but any idea why this happened?

When trying to load now it says:

System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
at TextAdventures.Quest.EditorController.GetElementTreeParent(Element o)
at TextAdventures.Quest.EditorController.AddElementToTree(Element o, Nullable`1 position, String name)
at TextAdventures.Quest.EditorController.AddElementAndChildrenToTree(Element o)
at TextAdventures.Quest.EditorController.UpdateTree()
at TextAdventures.Quest.Editor._Closure$__1._Lambda$__4()

I could commit murder. :D

jaynabonne
If you post the file, I'm fairly certain we can fix it.

Silver
I've re-written it all now (was quicker as did learning curve earlier). I'd be interested to know how it might have happened though. I suspect it might have been caused by having two versions of Quest! installed (I thought one had upgraded to later version but apparently it just installs a separate version) although that's a guess really. Another possible cock up on my part might have been to save the game whilst testing it or something. I don't mind posting the file if it helps shed some light on what I may have done wrong or if it's a fixable bug.

Silver
Edit - removed.

jaynabonne
I'm not positive, but since there is an "output" section at the end of the file, I suspect you saved your game while playing it over your original source. There is a definite duality in the Quest desktop editor, where "Save" changes meaning depending on whether you're playing the game or not. If you do Save normally, it saves the game source. If you do Save while playing, it saves the game state (so you can restore it later and continue playing, etc). I think you did the latter and saved it over your game source.

I'm glad you were able to recreate it since, while doable, it would be a little bit of work to extract your game bits back out of the save file.

Silver
It's a new project although i was a few hours in. Hopefully i've learned a few vital lessons there, could have been a lot worse i guess.