Show known verbs or commands?

KennedyM
Is there any way to make the runner show you a list of verbs or commands used by the game? This would be useful for those games that suffer from the "guess the verb" syndrome where you have no idea what action is wanted to use a particular item.

jaynabonne
The problem isn't with knowing the verbs - it's with knowing which verbs actually apply in which situation, to which object.

Regardless, you'd be better off implementing something yourself that just lists the verbs you care about. There are undoubtedly verbs in the Quest core that you don't use, and there is no handy way to list them anyway, since their main defining feature is their pattern, which is not player-friendly.

Alex
When you attach a verb to an object, it appears in the menu for that object already. So it sounds like Quest already does what you want it to do!

HegemonKhan
people~users who make such games, should put in a Command, to see~list the Verbs~Commands (by putting all the Verbs~Commands into a list or multiple 'msg' scripts, which can be displayed by that Command) used within the game play... along with whatever other such 'help' Commands for their various game features or game play info or objectives of the game.

try contacting the game maker, and asking him~her to put in a command, to let you know what are the available Verbs~Commands used by his~her game.

KennedyM
Is this feature available in the runner if it's playing a game written in an older version of Quest? That may have been what was giving me the problem.

Silver
My games are parser so there's no UI for hints.

What I tend to do is think of the verbs people are likely to use and either make that work the same or run a script printing a hint.

eg: Use match

Print: Perhaps you should strike one?

I guess easier than that (brainwave!) would be to set up an else script where instead of the wrong verb giving the prompt "I don't know what you mean" or whatever you could guide them that way instead (assuming the object only has one useful verb attached). - thinking out loud there, I haven't actually tested it!

There's nothing more infuriating than guess the verb. Beta testing should help me polish this further.