Gamebook Timer?

onimike
I was wondering if its possible to add a time script to run after a page is turned or an event happens in gamebook? If so how and where do I add timers?

jaynabonne
It doesn't seem to be possible to use timers in Gamebook mode. There isn't a way to create one in the editor, and when I copied and pasted one from a standard game into my gamebook test, it just caused an error in Quest.

One option is to create a "gamebook-like" game in normal adventure mode. Then you'd have all the capabilities you're used to.

What are you trying to do? Perhaps there is another way to accomplish it.

The Pixie
Timers are buggy in normal adventure mode too. It is scheduled to be addressed in version 5.5.1, but until then I would avoid them.

onimike
jaynabonne wrote:It doesn't seem to be possible to use timers in Gamebook mode. There isn't a way to create one in the editor, and when I copied and pasted one from a standard game into my gamebook test, it just caused an error in Quest.

One option is to create a "gamebook-like" game in normal adventure mode. Then you'd have all the capabilities you're used to.

What are you trying to do? Perhaps there is another way to accomplish it.

Well im trying to put a script on a timer so when you enter a room triggers event then timer starts, you have x amount of time before Event happens.

onimike
The Pixie wrote:Timers are buggy in normal adventure mode too. It is scheduled to be addressed in version 5.5.1, but until then I would avoid them.

I noticed that today. I was trying to get a timer to work and had the darnest time enabling it but I got it but yes it is buggy so are some other functions but for most part works great and love the quest engine.

Odie_da_Bossé
There is another solution.

Although this is not the best, it could work. Instead of a timer, why not use a sound file?

So, record an mp3 sound file, in this case, make it silent, for the period of time you want it to run. Once you've done that, get a message/whatever form your writing should be in, then chuck in 'play sound file.' Put that 'silent' sound file recorded earlier in, and set the 'wait for sound to finish before continuing' switch to yes. Then add the next message, and etc.

This is quite an inefficient solution, but it might work. I dunno, I'm a noob, and I'm a bit young to be understanding scripts and long code things.

Cheers, Odie.

jaynabonne
That's a creative solution (assuming it works). :) A bit hacky, but definitely thinking outside the box!

(And I've done my fair share of hacky things as well... lol)

Silver
That could work as a timer. If GB mode deals with audio the same way TA mode does. Good work.

Silver
Don't know why this has popped back into my head but using silent audio as a timer will only work with browsers that support the audio file you're using and won't work at all on mobile devices.