Dialogue Trees

metalmario991
For my game I'm trying to set up dialogue trees for when you talk to characters. how would I be able to do that?

HegemonKhan
look into 'using lists' and 'using dictionaries' (and string lists, string dictionaries, and~or script dictionaries) in the quest wiki site.

an example of a way of doing it (in code though):

show menu ("question~comment", StringList, false_or_true) {
invoke (StringListItem (StringDictionary~ScriptDictionary, result))
}

StringList: sword; dragon; princess

StringDictionary: sword="You'll need the dragon slaying sword from the evil sorcerer, to kill the dragon"; dragon="The dragon has kidnapped the princess, and it's scales have never been penetrated by any weapon"; princess="Rescue her and you'll be the king"

conceptually:

if (choosen choice from show menu is 'sword'), then output the StringDictionary's sword's message: "You'll need the..."
if (choosen choice from show menu is 'dragon'), then output the StringDictionary's dragon's message: "The dragon has kidnapped..."
if (choosen choice from show menu is 'princess'), then output the StringDictionary's princess' message: "Rescue her and..."

and you can do this as many layers deep as you want:

show menu 1 ("question~comment", StringList1, false_or_true) {
invoke (StringListItem (StringDictionary~ScriptDictionary1, result))
show menu 2 ("question~comment", StringList2, false_or_true) {
invoke (StringListItem (StringDictionary~ScriptDictionary2, result))
show menu 3 ("question~comment", StringList3, false_or_true) {
invoke (StringListItem (StringDictionary~ScriptDictionary3, result))
}
}
}
}

----------------

if you want a random selection of dialogue messages, then let me know, and I'll help you do this too.

---------------

I'm still new to dialogue however, so others (who're good at coding) can probably provide much better (and more powerful) code designs for doing dialogue.