If I wanna make one based on a fandom is it ok?

isaac223
Like, say I wanna make a BookQuest based on My Little Pony or the such, or any other show, as long as I don't take credit for the series itself is it ok?

Bonus Question: Is there a maturity limit?

jaynabonne
Whether or not creating such a derivative work is an infringement of copyright is debatable. I think it would be similar in substance to fan fiction. You can read all about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_issu ... an_fiction

So it's up to you about *creating* the work. However, as far as posting it here on the textadventures site, it's fairly clear when you go to upload that you need to have the copyright for what you're posting. So (interpreting based on my opinion): you can create what you like, but if it has even the possibility of copyright infringement, don't post it here. (Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.)

[To be honest, some probably already have posted such types of work here with little or no consequence, but I doubt it can be the official line, and there's no guarantee it will be allowed to stay.]

jaynabonne
This page might be easier to understand: http://io9.com/5933976/are-fan-fiction- ... -art-legal

(There a good number of them out there.)

The Pixie
Some authors have said that creating fan fiction is allowed (JK Rowling wrt Harry Potter is one that springs to mind); i think it would be fair enough to assume that would cover text adventures too. Do not try to make money from it, though.

TextStories
Well most of my work is fan fiction. I give credit where credit is due, but I am not making a profit from any of this. Although the game is practically completed, minus the conversations and a few more puzzles and rooms, it is done until I add the "polish" to it as it were. :wink: And I have read that one io9 post as well as a few others and feel I am not infringing. I would hate to find all that hard work wasted because Quest wont allow it to be played openly.

Silver
It isnt Quest that wouldn't allow it to be played openly. If there was an issue you'd get the cease and desist letter from lawyers acting on behalf of whoever's intellectual property is being infringed upon.

I doubt fan fiction would be a problem. Using any copyrighted art or media probably would be though.

Frantastik
There is no clear answer for you question, but I wouldn't take the risk

http://www.primehentai.com

Silver
Well there are examples on here (walking dead; Star Wars etc) that appear to have been left unhindered.

The Pixie
I think it will be fine too. Alex seems to be pretty relaxed about the sort of stories that are posted, and I do not think the site has the kind of popularity where any copyright owner will notice, let alone care.

What is it that you are basing your story on? Take a look at existing fanfic from the same source. Is there any history of it being stopped? Or is there a lot of it out there?

TextStories
Well as long as Quest doesn't say, "Sorry, this is a fan fic and we can not post it...", just because it is a fan fic, I really do not have a problem. Although I will admit it would be disheartening if the copyright holders would ask me to cease and desist. And yet when it is all said and done, they should be thanking me. This is a totally different take on an existing story, which I would hope would have people buy more of their existing and future products as I have. :D This is a work of love, not a parody.

Regardless, I shall not say what the copyright material is because that was the reason I refused to post my code and why I only used sample codes when I had to. It is a surprise. :lol: And yes I saw stuff like Star Wars and My Little Pony on here and I am not sure about Lord of the Rings, but I know there are countless MUDs that have that and I doubt each one has permission.

And again, since I am not turning a coin or really even harming theirs, but they might possibly gain from it, maybe they will put a little bit back into my pocket. Hahaha! :lol: That last bit was a joke of course, but I wont stand to make a penny on this so what ever so ehhh... :wink: And even if I did then I would have to pay Alex for his wonderful game engine and also those I used works from with their permission, etc. and that would be even more things I have to keep track of... :mrgreen:

Silver
Don't worry about it and keep on creating. Unless you're using audio/video/image files you don't have a licence for: it's ok to worry about that. Fiction is your work even if it's derivative. Media not created by yourself falls into a different area.