Make a custom command similar to take?

hystericalParadoxy
Hi. I am trying to make a text adventure based off the webcomic Homestuck and I ran into a problem. In Homestuck, the way to add items to your inventory is to 'captchalogue' it. When I try to make a command in Quest like it, I end up having to make one for every object I have in the entire text adventure ( http://i.imgur.com/s1P8Tas.jpg ), or do the same with custom verbs. Is there a way to make a command that adds the specified object to your inventory when you type 'captchalogue (object)' similar to the verb take?

jaynabonne
You can make a command like "take" or you can just extend the "take" command:

- Go to "Filter" at the bottom left. Click it and select "Show Library Elements". This will show all the built in game elements.
- Under "Command", find the "take" command. Click it.
- At the top right, a button with the word "Copy" will show up. Click that. The command "take" is now in your game and editable.
- In the command pattern field, change this:

take #object#; get #object#; pick up #object#

to this:

take #object#; get #object#; pick up #object#; captchalogue #object#

and you can now type what you wish in addition to the other ones. If you don't want the other "take" variants, remove them from the pattern.

hystericalParadoxy
jaynabonne wrote:You can make a command like "take" or you can just extend the "take" command:

- Go to "Filter" at the bottom left. Click it and select "Show Library Elements". This will show all the built in game elements.
- Under "Command", find the "take" command. Click it.
- At the top right, a button with the word "Copy" will show up. Click that. The command "take" is now in your game and editable.
- In the command pattern field, change this:

take #object#; get #object#; pick up #object#

to this:

take #object#; get #object#; pick up #object#; captchalogue #object#

and you can now type what you wish in addition to the other ones. If you don't want the other "take" variants, remove them from the pattern.

Thanks, but I do not see filter (I am using the online version). I guess it's not possible online, then?

jaynabonne
Ah ok. So this alternative worked for me. Create a new command. Fortunately, the "take" command is largely implemented in a function called DoTake. You can see the details here:
captchalogue.png

hystericalParadoxy
Thank you, it worked!