Quest-js Compiler Question

ferguson4848
I have downloaded the quest-js-master.zip but I can't figure out how to use it. I can't seem to find any instructions anywhere. I also tried to use the online compiler and got the result Unknown ASL version.

So, I suppose this is a two part problem.

Thanks for any advice.

jaynabonne
Unless you have Visual Studio to build it, you might want to download the pre-built alpha release instead:

https://github.com/textadventures/quest-js/releases

I'm still not sure how to use it, but that might be easier to work with. :)

jaynabonne
From what I could work out:

- Run QuestCompiler.exe in the release folder.
- Select the published .quest file to compile as "Source".
- Select a "Destination" folder for it.
- Be sure to set the "Profile" to "Web". Otherwise, it just crashes.
- Click "Compile"

ferguson4848
Thanks, I will check that out.

ferguson4848
I've downloaded the zip folder and the compiler opens fine. I put in the exported file and it seems to run just fine with no errors. However, when I open the index.html file in a web browser all I get is a bar that says Tap links or type here ...

There is no text from my game and typing anything in the input box does nothing.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Alex
There's probably a JavaScript error occurring. Could you attach your .quest file here?

ferguson4848
It is here;

http://www.sdllc.biz/madness/Madness.quest

Thanks so much

ferguson4848
I've tried another version of the file and one I made from scratch, but I'm still getting the same 'blank' game.

TangoBunny
I'm getting the same problem with my game.

When opening the html file, I just get a blank page with a box saying 'Tap links or type here...'

If I type in Page1, nothing happens.
If I type in Page2, Page 2 displays correctly and shows choice links, but none of the links are clickable.

Then, if I type Page1 again, Page 1 will display properly, but again the links aren't clickable.

Alex
It will probably be a JavaScript error.

Please post your game file somewhere (e.g. attach it here) and I'll take a look.

Take a look at your browser's developer tools - the Console may contain useful information to help you fix the issue. Sometimes it can happen if you've done something weird in your ASL script, like leaving an "if" condition blank.

TangoBunny
I've attached a very basic .quest file based on the default settings, the only thing extra it really has is a script that checks if Page 2 has been seen.

The console in Chrome gives the error:
"Uncaught ReferenceError: setGameWidth is not defined " 

This happens regardless of what settings I choose for the game width in Quest's offline version.

Clicking on a link (after typing Page2 to make a page appear) gives this error:
Uncaught ReferenceError: canSendCommand is not defined game.js:67
(anonymous function) game.js:67
b.event.dispatch jquery.min.js:3
v.handle

Here's the quest file:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7640466/testing.quest

morrison23usa
Hi - just want to report the same as ferguson4848 - using both the online and github executable versions of the compiler I get a blank game:

A blank page with a box saying 'Tap links or type here...'

Aleks_S
Same here (getting an essentially blank game, with the same features as described above), though I've only used the online version. Just testing so far, so it's a basic game with two rooms, a few objects, and very little in the way of scripts or conditional logic. Has anyone found a solution or workaround for this.

So far, Quest is my top choice for an upcoming project because it allows for a fair amount of visual customization easily and accessibly, but the ability to post the final product on my own server, or itch.io, or simply as a stand alone file is pretty important to me...