Quest crashes on Play

Mat
Running Quest on XP (fresh install with all updates). Editor runs fine, but when I click the Play button Quest crashes with this message:

Error launching game: Could not load file or assembly 'CefSharp.Winforms.dll' or one of its dependencies. This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. (Exception from HRESULT: 0X800736B1)

At which point I can't get back into the editor without quitting the application and restarting it. I just get the same error over and over again.

I get the same error if I try to play one of the games in the Play tab.

Again, this is a fresh Windows install and a fresh Quest install. I tried reinstalling Quest several times, but no joy.

Pertex
It could be a problem of missing .NET- framework installations.

Mat
I have .NET Framework 4 installed. And I've removed it and reinstalled it several times as well.

Mat
I'm bumping this because I really would like to be able to work with the offline Quest I've Googled the error message, and found a few suggestions for fixing the error, but they all involved changing the application's code and not anything an end user could do.

Alex
Yes, I can confirm this happens on a fresh XP install.

I read some advice about installing the Visual C++ runtime files from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2019667 ... but neither the 2012 nor the 2010 download fixed it for me.

Let us know if you manage to get this working somehow - it may be that something needs to be added to the Quest Setup file.

Otherwise it might be time to upgrade your version of Windows! XP is pretty old now...

HegemonKhan
no idea if this will work, but you may need '.net 3.5' installed on your computer too, if you don't have it. Not having this (.net 3.5) causes some other problems (such as with windows 8, it's windows updating, and outlook working together, laughs)

Alex
That's it! Thanks for working it out, HegemonKhan!

Installing .net 3.5 fixes the issue. You can download the installer at http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download ... x?id=14037

HegemonKhan
wow, that was a total shot in the dark by me, laughs. HK goes to buy a lottery ticket while his luck is super high, lol.

it seems that .net 3.5 has a lot of compatibility-functionality, which .net 4.0 doesn't have yet.