Room Images

Alex K
So...I literally just started playing with game creation and I'm trying to test out the features. I wanted room images in a static frame above the text, so I clicked the appropriate box in the game features to do so, and then chose a picture for the first room I was testing. I seem to have already gotten locked up in game creation. When I hit "play" only part of the image was visible and I was utterly unable to scroll down to see any of the text below the image. I tried to delete the image but didn't see any sort of option available to do so. I then went back to features to uncheck the image box in hopes of making it go away that way, but in game play the partial image with no ability to scroll down to the text was still there.

Also, in the room description it posted the description that I wrote, then immediately after that it arbitrarily showed the room title. So it's like, "You are in a blue room...etc, etc, etc. A Blue Room." Is there a way to make that not do that?

Normally I'm much better at figuring these things out, so it seems odd to me that I got stuck within five minutes of game creation. I'm using Chrome on a Mac if that makes a difference at all. Otherwise, what the hell am I doing wrong with this thing? I thought I was toying with the easy parts of game creation, lol.

HegemonKhan
it sounds ike you're playing this online via the web version, correct?

also, are you playing the text adventure version or the gamebook version, of quest?

the messed up image and brief freezing might just be a connection issue, otherwise, maybe someone else can figure out what is going on, for you. Also, maybe you just used a picture file that the web browser and~or quest can't handle, so try a different type of picture file (extension).

click on 'game' on the left side ( the 'tree of stuff' ), then on the right side, click on the 'room description' Tab:

now on the right side, you should see the (global game) options~features~settings for the room descriptions, and near the button should be checkboxes for what and~or what order you want the stuff displayed for the room descriptions during game play.

Alex K
I'm in the text adventure builder.

In tinkering for myself it seems the issue is that you can't have the map feature turned on while also having the static picture feature turned on unless you want to size your pictures very small, more like a signature banner size. Game creators, perhaps this is something that should be mentioned in a tutorial, along with size specs for said limitations in picture size...

Also, I still can't seem to make the picture go away. There's no option to just delete an image once it's been selected. I can change it all day long, but I can't get rid of it, even when I go back and turn off the static picture feature in the game settings. That means to make it go away the only thing I can do is delete the entire room and start over again, which is frankly a huge waste of my time.

In fact, I've spent far more time just trying to figure out this glitchy image system than I have in actual game design, which is a definite negative against using this program. I'm testing softwares for a huge project in a rising production company and thus far I'm not exactly impressed. We wanted an easy-to-create text adventure platform but we want it to be fairly image heavy, so I need to be able to utilize the graphics features without a bunch of hassle. Maybe it's less glitchy in the downloadable version, but my teammates are spread out all over the country. I need them to be able to log in and make edits as necessary, but that's going to be difficult to do if I can't even figure out the program for myself. Adding images should be the least difficult thing to do, I would think.

HegemonKhan
are you talking about changing~deleting the picture file choice, or just clearing the screen of a picture during game play?

there's option settings in the 'game' (the Game Object), just check it's tabs, and you should find some options for clearing off the picture of the old room for the new room.

I haven't worked with picture graphics yet, as I'm not a media person... just trying to learn to code with quest right now, laughs. But, I doubt that the feature to add images doesn't have a delete option to remove the old image file choosen. And, there's always going into the coding and deleting the code line that adds your picture file to the game, too.

-------

quest is an excellent program, but there's still a learning curve, as there is with any program. Also, quest is pretty new, so there's not that much systems built-up publically for quest, and that's the users own fault. We should be trying to build up more systems for quest, to make it more friendly to use immediately for new people.

jaynabonne
If you're going to be doing a heavy-duty ("real") project, I'd definitely go with the downloadable version. You should be able to manage remote sharing with something like Dropbox or a private project on one of the remote repositories (e.g. GitHub, etc).

If the built-in image stuff isn't working, you might want to bypass it and work it out yourself. I can help with that, once I get home and can look at some code I've written in the past (but it will be much easier to have you integrate with the desktop version).

The basic idea is to enable the panel (where the room images live) and then you can shove whatever HTML you want in there.

That's, of course, if we can't get the standard image code to work. Being HTML-based, Quest is flexible enough to do just about whatever you want visually.

Alex K
Yeah, I've been toying with it some more (because I'm one of those people who can't stand walking away from a challenge, lol) and was able to get images to appear at least within the scrolling text. A static image won't work with the map feature turned on, which is just something that the boss'll have to deal with if he wants me to use the online platform to build this game.

Now I'm moving on to the whole light/dark feature. We'll see if I can't amaze myself with figuring out how to get the player to light up the room, lol. I'll probably be back here asking for more help (because of course I can't just start with the really basic stuff *head/desk*)