Grouping verbs/commands

rosieclaverton
Hi all,

I am new to Quest and coding in general, so please forgive my noob questions.

I am making a game that resembles a Remote Desktop interface. Part of the game involves accessing emails and evidence files to solve a crime. I want the player to be able to use look at/open/read interchangeably to access the information in the email/evidence object. However, I know that "open" has its own special behaviours and I also don't know a way to edit the response for all three commands simultaneously without having to code for each one individually.

So, my questions are: is it possible to modify a response for a group of commands in one place, and can I make those particular commands (i.e. look at/open/read) behave in the same way?

HegemonKhan
in you being new to quest, hopefully this will be of help to you (if not, let me know, and I'll try to help you better):

you can use a Function to have the universal Scripts (actions) that you want to occur (an example below):

Create~Add a Function -> add a script -> output -> print a message -> [MESSAGE] -> You examine the evidence, gleaming a new clue into the case.

then, within your various Verbs (open, read, lookat, etc):

run as script -> add a script -> ?Scripts or Output? -> Call Function -> Add -> (your_function's_name)

---

also, you may want to create your own Verbs, if you don't want to mess with the default built-in Verbs like "open", "lookat", etc

---

if you don't mind delving into more complex stuff, you can use Commands, and I don't remember... but maybe with Verbs, you can assign multiple words ('alternative names: alt') that will all activate that Verb.

-------

if you haven't already, try going through the tutorial, it really helps to familiarize yourself with quest, and it also helps you to understand concepts and doing things within quest and with its game design and code design:

http://quest5.net/wiki/Tutorial

hope I've been of some help, hehe :D