Sound Script Not Working

chellkafka
I would like a mp3-file to be played after the player enters the first room the first time. So I just figured I use the play a sound script in the "scripts"-tab of the room under "after entering the room the first time". It just doesn't work. At all. I even tried making a command for the sound, but nothing. So am I missing something? youtube videos and assorted don't seem to work either.

jaynabonne
Rename your mp3 file to not have spaces, and I *think* it will work. Browsers turn spaces into "%20". You could try making a filename that looks like that, but it's easier just to take the spaces out of the name.

chellkafka
did not work. is there something i have to take in account if i use files outside of quest?

jaynabonne
They just need to be in the same folder as the game file. I did a simple test, and it worked for me. If it still doesn't work, perhaps you can submit a zip file that includes the game file and the mp3 as well. That way we can test the full solution.

Another simple thing: make sure the file plays outside Quest. :)

HegemonKhan
If the room textbox can be done so (I don't remember off-hand about it), make sure you change it to: run as script

jaynabonne
I took the game file, dropped in my own mp3 file in the game folder and changed the name in the game file to match, and it worked. It's either a problem with the name of the file not matching, the file not being in the right folder, or the mp3 not being compatible with Quest for some reason.

(HK: this has nothing to do with text. It's a "play sound" command in the room's enter script.)

chellkafka
The files are in the same folder. The mp3 file also works in general.
So here's a 7z-file containing both files.

jaynabonne
"Uh, hello, um, and welcome..."

It works for me as is. Which is strange, to say the least. I don't know what to suggest next.

chellkafka
Haha, great.
I even rendered the sound data as a wav-file, still doesn't work.
Wonder what makes the difference for you and me?
But yeah, that's what's supposed to be heard.

chellkafka
are you using quest 5.5?

jaynabonne
Yes. I noticed the .mp3 file has a higher bit rate than the one I used. You could try using a lower bit rate and see if it works. Given that it's the same Quest engine underneath it all, I'm not sure where the difference between us would creep in.

chellkafka
could you tell me the bitrate value of yours please?

jaynabonne
Mine is 96k. Of course, both yours and mine work for me, so I don't know if that's a "good" value or not. But might be worth a try just to see if it makes a difference.

jaynabonne
Mine is 96k. Of course, both yours and mine work for me, so I don't know if that's a "good" value or not. But might be worth a try just to see if it makes a difference.

chellkafka
Nope. Tried your bitrate, tried the lowest, tried the highest. Nothing works.
Maybe, because I'm using Windows 8? What OS are you using?

jaynabonne
Windows 8 as well...

chellkafka
haha, that's rich.
i even tried it on my girlfriend's notebook, it works there.
ok. let's try something. please assume like I'm the stupidest person ever(maybe, I am, but I don't like to think of myself that way). maybe I missed something really fundamental, like you wouldn't even think, I didn't do that, because it seems so natural, or logical or reasonable. any ideas?

chellkafka
and I already have it. at some point I must have turned off the sounds in the tools options. it works. I'm so sorry for wasting your time. So sorry. I really have to rethink my perception of my intelligence.
So sorry.

jaynabonne
Well that's a new one on me. I didn't even know you could do that! (And no need to be sorry.)