Noob question

missrithenay
Hi everyone,

This is probably a really simple question that has been asked before, but I can't find the answer on the boards.

I'm just learning to use Quest, and I'm using the web based programming. I've been following the tutorial which gives instructions on how to create the command "say __ to ___," allowing characters to interact with the player. However, if you create a character, it also has the option "speak to" selected when you hover over it, and if you select "speak to" you get the response "___ says nothing."

My questions are:

1. Is there a way to get rid of the "speak to" option without making the character an object?
2. Is there a way to make it so clicking "speak to" has the same result as typing "say ___ to ___"?

Thank you!!

HegemonKhan
I don't use the on-line ~ web version, but in the off-line ~ desktop version:

'speak to' is a default Verb (button on the right pane and as a text hyperlink), which there are a few options of settings for them (such as not displaying automatically the default Verbs like your 'speak to' default Verb) in the 'game' Object and specifcally for the Object you're setting up with the Verb 'speak to', but I'm not sure if the on-line ~ web version has these features and~or where to find them. Otherwise, you can add~remove Verbs (custom ~ self-made and~or default) directly for a speciic Object, at least in the off-line ~ desktop version.

I think there are some default (built-in) Commands, but most Commands will be (or are) custom (self-made~created~added), such as the tutorial's 'say ____ to _____' custom Command.

'speak to' (default) Verb and 'say ___ to ____ ' (custom) Command, are a bit different in functionality: as 'speak to' is more broad (non-targetted topic subject), simplistic, and only for that specific Object, whereas the 'say ___ to ____' is more specific and powerful (what~targetted 'topic subject' and what Object).

Verbs: game user uses the right pane's Object's buttons and text's hyperlinks

Commands: game user types in directly what he~she wants (requires more code ability, due to the exception handling and~or error messages needed, you have to deal with the game user not typing in what he~she is supposed to, sighs, the "fun" part of coding... sarcasm, lol). An example below (in code, as it's quick, and I'm lazy, lol):

<command name="gender_player_character_creation_command">
<pattern>gender</pattern>
<script>
gender_player_character_creation_function (player)
</script>
</command>

<function name="gender_player_character_creation_function" parameters="player">
msg ("What is your gender?")
msg ("Type 1 for male or 2 for female")
get input {
if (IsNumeric (result) = true) {
if (result = "1") {
player.gender_x = "male"
msg ("You are a " + player.gender_x + ".")
// outputs: You are a male.
} else if (result = "2") {
player.gender_x = "female"
// outputs: You are a female.
} else {
// if not "1" or "2" is typed in by the game user, then clear screen, and ask for the gender again:
ClearScreen
}
} else if (IsNumeric (result) = false) {
if (result = "m" or result = "male") {
player.gender_x = "male"
// outputs: You are a male.
} else if (result = "f" or result = "female") {
player.gender_x = "female"
// outputs: You are a female.
} else {
// if not "m", "male", "f", or "female" is typed in by the game user, then clear screen, and ask for the gender again:
ClearScreen
}
}
</function>

---------

you can change the 'speak to' Verb's Scripts to be the same as the Command's Scripts (or they have the same function, and thus the same scripts too) in the off-line desktop version, but I don't know if you can and~or how to do this in the on-line ~ web version.

missrithenay
Thank you! Very helpful :)