exit links different color than object links?

deroesi
is it possible to set a different link color specificly for EXITs? I keep encountering myself searching for exits in the text, different colors would help a lot.

/edit: ahh and I forgot: the script "wait for keypress" seems to ignore the link colour at all.. its always plain html blue.. is there a way to fix this, or is this a bug which'll be fixed soon?

thanks!

--stephan

jaynabonne
For the latter, add this line somewhere early on (e.g. a game "start" script):

JS.eval("getCSSRule('a.cmdlink').style.color='#ff0000'")

This will set the color to red (HTML "#ff0000"). You could set other RGB-style colors or use a HTML color value like "blue".

(For completeness: http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_colornames.asp)

Unfortunately, the exit link color is hard-coded to be the same as all the other link colors. You can work around that by pulling a piece of the core code into your game and modifying it. Add the code below into your game. It's a copy of the core function:

<function name="ProcessTextCommand_Exit" type="string" parameters="section, data">
<![CDATA[
exitname = Mid(section, 6)
exit = GetObject(exitname)
if (exit = null) {
return ("{" + ProcessTextSection(section, data) + "}")
}
else {
verbs = GetDisplayVerbs(exit)
alias = GetDisplayAlias(exit)
command = LCase(StringListItem(verbs, 0)) + " " + alias
//style = GetCurrentLinkTextFormat()
style = GetCurrentTextFormat("#00c000")
return ("<a style=\"" + style + "\" class=\"cmdlink exitlink\" data-elementid=\"" + exit.name + "\" data-command=\"" + command + "\">" + alias + "</a>")
}
]]>
</function>

The line that's commented out (//'s in the front) is the old line. The one below it is the new one, and right now it jams the color to "#00c000" which is a fairly unattractive green. :) Change it to what you like.

deroesi
very cool, thanks! it works like a charm ;)
best,
--stephan

GiannisG
I, too, have the same question (in regard to links in general)

Namely, how one can have links that are:
- not underlined
- same font with rest of text (I'm using Courier New)
- but different colour.

In post http://forum.textadventures.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3859&p=25857&hilit=link+color#p25837, jaynabonne writes about global game link color, which I would love to lay my hands on. But where are its settings?

Cheers,
G.

jaynabonne
Have you checked out the "Display" tab on the "game" object? You can turn off underlines for hyperlinks and set the color.

GiannisG
Oh, I don't see this, probably because I have deactivated "Hyperlinks" from the Features tag.

My problem is with the "Continue..." link, which seems to have a mind of its own.

OK, here's what I do:
- Features Tab>activate "Hyperlinks"
- Display Tab>deactivate "Underline"
- Display Tab>Link Colour "White"
- Features Tab> deactivate "Hyperlinks" again.

Now, the "Continue..." link is not underlined anymore. But it is still Blue! I have used your suggestion above to change its colour, by adding:

to a start script, which works.

Now, what I want is to change the font, too, to my Courier New. Is there a similar script line that I can add to change the font, too?

How come this link is different to the rest? Why does "Continue..." even have to be a link?

Thanks again, jaynabonne!

jaynabonne
Try this:

JS.eval("getCSSRule('a.cmdlink').style['font-family']='Courier New'")

And I'm not the one to answer questions about "why". :)

GiannisG
Yep! Works like a charm!

Thanks again (and again and again...) jaynabonne!

OurJud
jaynabonne wrote:For the latter, add this line somewhere early on (e.g. a game "start" script):

This will set the color to red (HTML "#ff0000"). You could set other RGB-style colors or use a HTML color value like "blue".

The above is some code you supplied for changing the hyperlink colour of the 'continue' hyperlink which appears when a 'key press' command is set.

I have added this to the game's start script using 'run java' from the scripts, but it makes no difference to the link.

I then thought of another way, and enabled hyperlinks in the game's set-up, but set the link colour to black so that it wouldn't show, and that didn't have any effect either - the link still shows in blue (although it did accept my instruction to remove the underline, so something is working there)

Any ideas?

OurJud
I did it!

I just added:

a.cmdlink {display: none; visibility: hidden; }

to the game's CSS section and it worked! I couldn't believe it worked because I thought you'd provided java as some kind of trick to get round the hard coding or something.

jaynabonne
When you say you added it to the game's CSS section, what do you mean? Where is that? (I might be missing something important!) I usually offer Javascript as most people don't have a CSS block set up. But if there is a standard way to do it in Quest that I've been missing... :)

OurJud
jaynabonne wrote:When you say you added it to the game's CSS section, what do you mean? Where is that? (I might be missing something important!) I usually offer Javascript as most people don't have a CSS block set up. But if there is a standard way to do it in Quest that I've been missing... :)

It may well be an addition, Jay, but if I hit the code button in Quest (next to the play button), I have a short section of CSS right at the top of the code.

jaynabonne
Could that have been something put in with an earlier fix? It sounds like something I would have offered for a different problem. :)

OurJud
jaynabonne wrote:Could that have been something put in with an earlier fix? It sounds like something I would have offered for a different problem. :)

I'll just a quick look to see what's in there. Hold on.

The only things in that CSS block that I haven't added myself are 'div#txtCommandDiv' and 'input#txtCommand' - which I think hide the input border.