Save Points?

HaganeSteel
Hey, guys.

I'm loving Quest. I love it so much, I'm using it to design a fantasy RPG. I've got a full attribute and level up/EXP system, battle system, etc. with just about all the kinks worked out.

I'm having trouble with one issue, though.

How does Quest save games? It's my understanding that it saves after every turn? Is there a way to disable or change this?

This is a necessity for me because if Quest saves after every turn, this means it will save during battles. The player might end up in situations where they get stuck because they started a battle unprepared, or they simply made too many mistakes and can't win.

I want to create save points instead. The types of save points that you would find in a typical RPG. How would I do that?

Thanks for any help!

jaynabonne
Quest saves whenever the player says save, either via an explicit command at the command prompt or using the on-screen Save interface. It's a deliberate player action. For example, in the web player, there is a Save button in the top right corner. For the desktop version, you go the File menu and select Save Game.

I don't know of any way to disable that ability.

Liam315
In terms of the player typing the command "SAVE", that can easily be modified by editing the command in the object tree. Obviously that doesn't help when the built in save buttons are available though...

jaynabonne wrote:For example, in the web player, there is a Save button in the top right corner. For the desktop version, you go the File menu and select Save Game.

I don't know of any way to disable that ability.

The only way to do it is to have the game run in it's own standalone player where you can strip out the all of the toolbars etc. that you don't want. This is very advanced though and requires a knowledge of C++ and visual basic.

HaganeSteel
Oh! I see! Okay! Thank you so much!

That is awesome.

When I was testing the game, it didn't even occur to me to save the game via the menu bar at the top. I just assumed that was only to save the project and not the game.

That's excellent. So, no need to disable anything, or even make my own save points.

Thanks so much!