Save and Load Game

Rainbow Dash
I couldnt find this anywhere and I was wondering if there was a ability to save a game using either a menu or a text command. I basically need it to save story progress, character and location. Character includes the inventory, worn items etc, etc.

jaynabonne
You should be able to type "save" :). It's a built-in command.

Rainbow Dash
jaynabonne wrote:You should be able to type "save" :) It's a built-in command.

Well damn, now I feel dumb. Umm...lets say I have a load option in my main menu, is there a way to get that menu option to load a previous game?

jaynabonne
That one's a bit harder, unfortunately. A Quest saved game is actually a complete game image. So it's loaded instead of your usual game. As far as I know, at this time (Alex may have other plans), there is no way to dynamically load game data *into* a currently running game.

Rainbow Dash
jaynabonne wrote:That one's a bit harder, unfortunately. A Quest saved game is actually a complete game image. So it's loaded instead of your usual game. As far as I know, at this time (Alex may have other plans), there is no way to dynamically load game data *into* a currently running game.

Thats a tad unfortunate. Might be worth adding that option to the game to make it a more complete experience. It could just be something as simple as dumping all variables into a file. But my coding when it comes to saving and loading data is very limited.

Pertex
Rainbow Dash wrote:It could just be something as simple as dumping all variables into a file.

:D not all variables, but all objects. But your game exists of objects, so you have to save all objects and so the complete game file :D

Soultaker
This may sound like a silly question, but how does one restore a previously saved game? Neither LOAD nor RESTORE seem to work.

jaynabonne
If you're playing online, after you save, when you go back to play the game again, it gives you the option to Resume or Restart. (Which means you can only have a single save at a time.)

If you're playing in the desktop player, you can double-click the .quest-save file created when you saved. If you're already playing the game, you can also go to File/Open to open the .quest-save file and resume.

Soultaker
I am playing online, but I see no option to Resume. (The desktop player is only for Windows, right? I'm playing on a Mac right now.)

jaynabonne
Have you gone back to the page where you originally started whatever game you had saved (and not just the Back button to it, but force a refresh of some kind). The "Play" button changes to "Resume" for me when I tried it.

Soultaker
Ah, I see what the problem is. I was playing an IFComp submission through this link, which leads directly to the game itself. It turns out there is also a (hidden) page for this game on textadventures.co.uk and that page contains the elusive Resume button. (I found that page by copying the game id from one URL to the other.)

Thanks for the tips!

jaynabonne
Great! I'm glad you found it. It can be (as you say) elusive. :)