A bit of silliness

jaynabonne
Attached is a little levity. Sort of fun (but, actually, not much). Just an experiment on my part, and not very text-adventure-ish. Sorry for not adding user control, but the timers are too erratic (interrupted by user input) and too coarse (granularity of a second) to make it acceptable.

Guess I should get back to my (ahem) *real* game...

(If anyone knows a better way to do numerically-indexed arrays, I'd love to hear about it. I may have need for them in the future.)

The Pixie
Cool.

Some people say Quest is limited and only for beginners; I think this is a great example of what it is capable of.

Pertex
great!

Alex
Fantastic! :D

guzmere
It just goes to show that quest is capable of virtually anything. It's cleverly done well done. :D :D :D :D

The Pixie
You should publish this so people can play it on line, so everyone can see what Quest can do.

jaynabonne
All right, I'll do that. :) I'll have to find the right category... probably Simulation.

jaynabonne
It's up there now. And when run in the browser online, it's less than optimal (in other words, it's SLOOOOW). And for some reason, you can enter commands (which then breaks it out of the loop), whereas offline you can't. So interesting differences between the online and offline worlds.

m4u
It's no longer working. Can you update it? I need it to show what Quest can do :)

jaynabonne
Well, here's a partial "fix". To be honest, it was more than a little kludge before using Pause - which is no longer supported. As such, you can't get it to run (with Quest scripts) more often than once per second.

Beyond that, though, it seems *much* slower. I had this empirical sense that 5.5 was slower than 5.4, but I had no real metric. I'm not sure what aspect has slowed down. I'll investigate. :)

jaynabonne
Another, slightly faster, but still not "ready for prime time". I think you'd have to go to JavaScript to get better speed.

m4u
Great! That reminds me. That little face is what we want for the map for the other post!