sapi

jsymes
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, as I'm new to these forums, but here goes. I've played around with Quest for some time, but I just installed Quest 5 for the first time. Does Quest 5 not have sapi speech output like Quest 4 did? I and several other blind users actually used this feature.

Alex
I've not implemented SAPI output in Q5. It wouldn't be difficult to add if somebody wants to implement this - I'll happily accept a pull request for it. But with a screenreader the output should be read out already.

jsymes
Appologies for the delay in my response. My experiences in using screen readers with any text adventure system are less than stellar. The main problem lies in the fact that there's no option to clear the screen before new text is printed, so screen readers tend to reread the old text for several dozen moves back. For this reason I prefer interpreters with built-in sapi speech, and only recommend such to other blind friends. If all the old text was changed to a different color from the new text, I could key my screen reader to read the text in the color of only the new text, or if the old text were cleared altogether, simply place a box around the text display window and tell my screen reader to read everything in it upon change. Of course, I don't know how convenient it would be to program such optional display methods into the interpreter, where of course the sapi code already existed and worked well enough for my purposes.

Alex
OK then - it should be straightforward to add this feature, so I've now put it on the list: http://quest.codeplex.com/workitem/1121