Can neither run .cas file nor produce .exe file

abcroy
I can compile my .asl file into .cas file, but when I run the .cas file, the Quest program always hangs instantly (i.e., the program freezes as soon as I run a .cas file, the screen shows nothing, the menu is inaccessible, when I click anywhere on the Quest window it says "Not responding" and closes itself.) My .asl file runs fine in Quest, and the same problem happens to every single .asl file I downloaded from the site if I compile them into .cas file. It simply won't run.

When I try to further 'package' the .cas file (or .asl file) into an .exe file, it always gives me the same error message, it writes:

Compiling C:\xxx\Londe Perplex.asl to C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Quest Packages\Londe Perplex Package\Londe Perplex.cas...
Writing file...
Finished.
Getting information from game file...
ERROR: Unable to process game file.

No .exe file has ever produced. I has tried reinstalling Quest/QDK Game Editor, but nothing so far works. This is a major problem for me. Please kindly let me know what the cause may be and how I may solve it. Thank you so much.

Alex
I just tried compiling "The Awakening Dead 2" and it works fine for me. Did you uninstall before reinstalling? You should try that to ensure everything is cleared out. Also have you tried opening the .cas file in Quest 5?

abcroy
I did (including running it in Quest 5,) and I have just uninstalled, manually removed all related folder/.dll file, rebooted, and reinstalled Quest 4.1.5 (including compiler/packager etc.) again. The same error persists. If everyone else is able to do it, I suppose it would have something to do with my system. I'm running Vista Home Premium SP2.

I have spent a whole month to develop a game. I assume I can still upload the .asl file to textadventures.co.uk and let people play there or ask them to download Quest and my .asl file and run it off-browser, but it would be a lot better if they can just download an .exe file from my site. I would really appreciate it if someone may suggest some possible explanations. Thanks again.

Alex
If you attach the .asl file here or email it to me at [email protected], I'll take a look into it - if I can reproduce the problem I'll work out what's happening, if not then I'll send you the .cas/.exe.

abcroy
Thanks, Alex. Actually, I have tried 30+ .asl/.cas files (w/wo additional files such as .mp3/.jpg) and none of them could be packaged into .exe, that is, the same problem happens to all files written by others which are clearly compilable/package-able on other machine ( e.g., The Awakening Dead 2.) I have just tried one of the included 9-games treasure hunt.asl and the same message appeared:

Compiling C:\Program Files\Quest\games\spectrum\treasure hunt.asl to C:\Users\manshun\Documents\Quest Packages\treasure hunt Package\treasure hunt.cas...
Writing file...
Finished.
Getting information from game file...
ERROR: Unable to process game file.

A .cas file is produced, but I couldn't run it either. When I tried to run it in Quest 5, the pop-up window says:

System.ArgumentException: Length of argument 'String' must be greater than zero.
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.Strings.Asc(String String)
at AxeSoftware.Quest.LegacyASL.LegacyGame.ConvertCASKeyword(String& CASchar)
at AxeSoftware.Quest.LegacyASL.LegacyGame.LoadCASFile(String& thefilename)
at AxeSoftware.Quest.LegacyASL.LegacyGame.ParseFile(String& Filename)
at AxeSoftware.Quest.LegacyASL.LegacyGame.InitialiseGame(String& afilename, Boolean& LoadedFromQSG)
at AxeSoftware.Quest.LegacyASL.LegacyGame.Initialise(IPlayer player)
at AxeSoftware.Quest.Player.FinishInitialise()
at AxeSoftware.Quest.Player._Lambda$__28()

And when I uninstalled/reinstalled everything and run the said .cas file in Quest 4, the pop-up window says:

Unable to open C:\xxx\treasure hunt.cas
Missing 'end define'.

I have attached the original .asl file and the .cas file I produced. I really wish to understand what the problem is. As I said, I can't even run the .cas file (NOT .asl) I downloaded from textadventures.co.uk. If you send me back a .cas file of my game, I assume I won't be able to run it either. My concern is that the same may happen to the people who download my game - they may not be able to play it.

However, if you're kind enough to send me an .exe version of treasure hunt.asl, I may try to see if I can run it. If I can, then I may just send you my game and let you package it for me, and see if I can run it on my/my friends' machines. Sorry for all the troubles.

abcroy
And here is the said .cas file I produced.

Alex
That's a really weird problem. Looking at the file that you created, it seems to be failing to encrypt strings properly in a CAS - they all get turned into "????". I've never seen anything like it, and I can't think what could be causing it.

Anyway, here's the generated setup exe file.

abcroy
I've just tried running the setup.exe file you attached. The installation seems to be successful, but when I run C:\Program Files\Spectrum\treasure hunt.exe (the default location for the game file,) the following message appears and Quest closes itself:

Run-time error '9':
Subscript out of range

It's the same error message I've seen while running some .cas files (but not all.)

Any idea?

(Again, can't thank you enough for the helps.)

Alex
I think you have the same problem with both encoding and decoding CAS files.

Do you have any weird language setup on your system? Click Start, type "region" and go to "Region and Language", then go to the Administrative tab. What is "Language for non-Unicode programs" set to? (I'm looking at Windows 7 but I guess it should be in a similar place in Vista).

abcroy
As a matter of face, I did:

Current language for non-Unicode programs:

Chinese (Traditional, Hong Kong S.A.R.)

I change it to English (UK), and the problem is solved. I suppose we can't use Quest to create a Chinese game then? And IMHO, it may be better if people with other language setting can play .cas/.exe Quest games without having to switch language and restart.

But anyway, really appreciate your help. The program is already brilliant, shouldn't be too picky.

Alex
Interesting!

Yes, unfortunately Quest 4 doesn't play too nicely with non-Western character sets.

However, Quest 5 is written using much more modern technology, and should be able to produce games in Chinese - it would be amazing to have a Chinese translation. Quest 5 should also be able to decode Quest 4's .cas files properly, regardless of the regional settings (but do please let me know if that's not the case).

abcroy
Sure. Will also let you know when my game is finished (if you're interested.)

I'm from Brum btw.

Alex
Quite a long way from Hong Kong :)

Look forward to seeing your game when it's done!

Gideonh
Hi
I just started looking into this and want to make stories/games for my students studying Chinese. What happened with this? Did you make a game in Chinese?
Thanks

Pertex
There is no official chinese language file nor template, so it's not possible to create a game in Chinese.