The latest quest version...

Lazercarp
Is full of bugs and hardly works. Is that what you've all used to make your games on or is there an earlier version that works better but has less features?? Because there really are so many bugs that its basically unusable.

Alf
It will be easier to respond to your question if you will provide:
Which version of Quest you are using
What specific problems you are having

I have found that Quest users are eager to provide their advice - if you ask the right questions.

Thanks!

Lazercarp
Well I was using version 4.1.2 and there were a whole heap of problems, the most notable being the fact that you couldn't use any items on each other- although I've switched to an earlier version which appears to work fine now so everythings good.

Alf
Please keep us updated on your progress, or any problems you may have.

Lazercarp
Okay the earlier version I am using has loads of bugs too. I am a bit let down by this as I've paid £20 for something that effectively doesn't work. Is there a version that doesn't have any bugs?? Seriously I have no idea how any of you have managed to make a game using this software. The ability to use items on each other is a pretty vital part of the game...

davidw
Every version of Quest I've ever used has had bugs, and every subsequent version has introduced more bugs while doing little to fix the old ones. Hence the fact that I gave up using Quest years ago.

Tomsa
Concerning ver 4.1.2...when I open a container, Quest displays its look description. Anyone else having the same problem?

Lazercarp
Yes trust me thats 1 of about 1000 different bugs. Is there another way of making text based adventures without any technical knowledge whatsoever?? I want my money back!!

Tomsa
I think it would be unfair to call it THAT bugridden... There are some IF gems out there, like Cabin Fever or Spectrum to name a couple. I myself have not really had much problems with it, neither crashes nor horrible bugs, merely some small glitches here and there. I would hate to switch system, since I have grown quite fond of the interface. It will, however, be an interesting race between the new Adrift and the new Quest, both rewritten with cool features. In the meantime, I will stick with 4.1.2..

Alex
Lazercarp, I can't reproduce a problem with using objects on objects, and I've sent you a demonstration file which shows them working. Please give me more information about how you've set up the objects, so I can take a look at what's happening.

All software has bugs, but detailed and accurate bug reports are really helpful in fixing as many as possible, so please keep sending me as much information you can about any unexplained behaviour you see. Often it's a case that things are actually working, but maybe not in the way you might have expected - people can have different interpretations about how things are "supposed" to work.

Printing the description when you open a container is by design – the idea is that if there is something inside the container, the player will see it when they open it, so by opening something they are implicitly looking at it.

However you can override this behaviour by specifying a script for the “open” action. To do this, select the “open” verb from Container properties, then select “Run a script”. You can then print a message, and additionally choose “Open an object” from the “Objects” category to open the window.

Please let me know about the other 999 bugs and I'll do my best to help :)